Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moving Leslie and Hammonds, assessing condition

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Update from the tech! Organ is running and he's starting to deal with its various mechanical issues. Per his most recent e-mail:

I finally got it to runâ¦â¦there`s a number of problems,but I think I can get those rectified with a bit of perseveranceâ¦â¦.coulp be worse.Reverb has been disabled,don`t know if that`s a big deal.All speakers had been removed,and one was for the reverb.The tank for the reverb is beatenâ¦â¦.otherwise,I think we can get something pretty good out of this oneâ¦â¦â¦.

When I saw the internal speakers had been removed, I figured I might not be able to use the spring reverb, since my understanding was that in A100s the reverb goes to the internal speakers rather than through to the Leslie. Sounds like the reverb tank itself is shot, too. One day I'd love to be able to get spring reverb pre-Leslie, but I told him it's low priority. We'll see how much work (and expense) getting the rest of the Hammond in shape takes, and I can decide if it's worth dealing with the reverb now, or letting it go for awhile. It's a fun sound that I enjoy, but not essential.

Hope nobody's bothered by my frequent updates. I'm very excited about this, obviously, and I'm also enjoying the thoughts, stories, and reminiscences that my updates prompt. I guess if you're annoyed by hearing about Hammond repairs, you're reading the wrong thread... or maybe the wrong forum! :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

my understanding was that in A100s the reverb goes to the internal speakers rather than through to the Leslie.

Your understanding is correct. A 100's were built for the living room, which is why there are internal speakers.

:nopity:

Hope nobody's bothered by my frequent updates.

:pfft!: If anything, you're not updating us enough. :P

More, More, MORE!!! :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This is a cool thread, just keep at it.

There may be more that needs to be addressed but swapping out a reverb tank is not difficult at all. Not sure the exact history or logistics but Hammond reverb tanks have been made by Accutronics for many years (decades), essentially the same design with a different name stamped into the chassis. There are variations, most important is the impedance of the transducers (number of winds of which guage wire). Sometimes the number and type of springs will be different as well.

You will need a tank designed for tubes, perhaps specifically designed for the tubes in your reverb amplifier. There are buttloads of used Hammond and Accutronics tanks for sale and they are not particularly expensive. Most of them will be for solid state designs, Peavey used an uncountable number of them, just for one (to say nothing of Fender).

Just beware of "vintage" tanks that are overpriced because they were "removed from a 1964 Blackface Fender Deluxe Reverb" or some price-jacking nonsense like that. They'll charge you 10x for the screws and bolts on stuff like that, it's pretty stupid.

You could consult with your tech as to what specific models of reverb tanks you need for your organ. You should be able to purchase and install that goodie yourself, you may not need more than a screwdirver.

I just replaced one in a Peavey Bravo, the one in the amp had a broken spring. Tube amp but uses a solid state reverb driver circuit, I had an identical tank laying around in the stash. Not difficult at all to replace.Keep track of which cable plugs in where and you should be golden.

Edited. The input of the reverb tank will probably be fed from somewhere tube driven but likely not the reverb amp, that is for driving a speaker post reverb. Lots of great used speakers out there too, so many people are "speaker rolling" searching for that "something" that resides in their hands and their souls mostly. A long standing bang for the buck favorite of mine are the Peavey Scorpion speakers. They are great sounding speakers, easy to "recone" at home in a few minutes and usually sell for well below their value. The Scorpion Plus is excellent as well.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I assume you're waiting on a quote? If so and it's more than you want to spend I would recommend giving the Leslie a go yourself and have the tech focus on the organ. There are plenty of experts here that can help with motor adjustments, replacing grommets, cleaning/oiling etc. Also there's tons of stuff on line and most of the needed work will be mechanical in nature. It's really not hard and good for you to know how. Things will crop up from time to time.

It sounds like the Leslie amp is working although that might be a good question for you to ask your tech . If it needs a recap (which it probably does), new tubes, can caps etc. we can help you with that too. All the necessary precautions apply here and maybe your local forum member friends can help out with the more involved aspects?

Hope nobody's bothered by my frequent updates.

I'm lov'n this... as long as I don't read that your A100 caught Covid from someone named Leslie. :D

I assume you're waiting on a quote? If so and it's more than you want to spend I would recommend giving the Leslie a go yourself and have the tech focus on the organ. There are plenty of experts here that can help with motor adjustments, replacing grommets, cleaning/oiling etc. Also there's tons of stuff on line and most of the needed work will be mechanical in nature. It's really not hard and good for you to know how. Things will crop up from time to time.

All good thoughts! Thus far, my tech's "this might be more work and money than I thought" quote was $400-$500, which is still well below what I was worried I might have to spend. Granted, if he continues running into issues, I won't be surprised if that number goes up, but thus far it's been well within what I'm willing to spend on getting an A100 and 147, and I know and trust my tech (and he likes me a lot, which may or may not have something to do with his affordable labor -- certainly it's why he's been keeping me updated on every step of the process).

That said, I know that the more I can learn about how to maintain these things, the better off I'll be, and I'm very happy to know I have all y'all as a resource -- it's one of the reasons I'm sharing every step of my journey here, aside from just being excited about it.

It sounds like the Leslie amp is working although that might be a good question for you to ask your tech . If it needs a recap (which it probably does), new tubes, can caps etc. we can help you with that too. All the necessary precautions apply here and maybe your local forum member friends can help out with the more involved aspects?
Yup, he was able to get the Leslie running without too much issue, and he's already made some adjustments to the motors and replaced the tubes. He's pretty well stocked with parts, but again, it's good to know I have some other resources if anything comes up that he's not able to handle in his shop. His place is like a museum, though, and while he works on all kinds of keyboards, I think Hammonds and Leslies are really his speciality, so I'm not too concerned by anything he's said thus far. But again, great that I have all of you to reach out to!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

my understanding was that in A100s the reverb goes to the internal speakers rather than through to the Leslie.

Your understanding is correct. A 100's were built for the living room, which is why there are internal speakers.

A lot of dealers would make the public believe they were getting an inferior organ when in fact it is still a three series instrument. A-100's were only built for 7 years but there was a ton built. The A-105 model was built from 62 till 75 but I don't run into them as much.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Ooh, okay, here's something I could use some advice on (though my tech doesn't seem to think it makes a huge difference one way or the other):

The speaker in the leslie has a helmetâ¦â¦â¦what should we do? Replace? Recone? It`s six of one ,half dozen of another.Evreything else looks viable although a bit grungyâ¦â¦Of course the output tubes are clobbered.Not bad for being in the crypt for some lengthy timeâ¦â¦.

I'm not exactly sure what he means when he says it "has a helmet" but I assume since he was hearing a nasty buzz from that low-end speaker, I just need to know if I should replace it, or have the speaker reconed. Any thoughts there?

Getting percussion to work,cleaning drawbars,Getting key contacts happeningâ¦â¦â¦.could be functional by weekend,barring the unforeseenâ¦
Positive, exciting news!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Ooh, okay, here's something I could use some advice on (though my tech doesn't seem to think it makes a huge difference one way or the other):

The speaker in the leslie has a helmetâ¦â¦â¦what should we do? Replace? Recone? It`s six of one ,half dozen of another.Evreything else looks viable although a bit grungyâ¦â¦Of course the output tubes are clobbered.Not bad for being in the crypt for some lengthy timeâ¦â¦.

I'm not exactly sure what he means when he says it "has a helmet" but I assume since he was hearing a nasty buzz from that low-end speaker, I just need to know if I should replace it, or have the speaker reconed. Any thoughts there?

Getting percussion to work,cleaning drawbars,Getting key contacts happeningâ¦â¦â¦.could be functional by weekend,barring the unforeseenâ¦
Positive, exciting news!

Helmet? Maybe it has an aluminum dust cap.

Regarding recone of the Altec or a replacement - not knowing anything about the Altec, I'd vote for replacement with an Eminence Delta 15b. Check around. It's an oft-recommended replacement for a stock driver and is a known quantity, The performance of the Altec in the Leslie, even one in perfect condition, is an unknown. Unless it were reconed using an original kit, there is no assurance that it would sound and perform like a new Altec. Also (if that's not enough) :eek:, the $100 cost of the 15b may be less than the cost of a recone of the Altec. You might even be able to sell the Altec basket for a few $$ to help defray costs.

See if you can get the model number of the Altec. I'd be interested in running a simulation of it in the 122/147 cabinet to see how it compares to the Delta 15B.

All right, a very happy e-mail from the tech this morning!

I`m figuring the organ/leslie combination to be done by this coming afternoon,after getting key contacts going,The speaker issue,clean the leslie out,replace tubes in leslie.I`ll hold the total to 600â¦â¦â¦quite a challenge for sure

Uh, yeah, I can live with $600 for a cleanout and overhaul of a Hammond A100 and Leslie 147 that I acquired for free (I mean, the labor of moving it was not insignificant, but it would be just as hard to move if I'd spent four times as much money, and I have definitely seen these things for four times as much money).

Barring some unexpected event, looks like I'll be moving them into my studio this weekend! :keynana:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

That tech seems like a real find. Pretty quick turn around time and price considering the speaker re-coning (time) or replacement (cost).

Yeah, like I said earlier in the thread, I don't know if it's just that he won't/can't charge more in his location, or if he just likes me a lot, or if he's just eccentric... but he's a real gem to have 45 minutes away from me in rural New York State (which The Real MC has and will attest to). He's part of a small contingent in the area with some connection to the Deep Purple organization going back a few decades, and if he is to be believed, he was one of the players who they tapped to audition when Jon Lord retired. He didn't have very nice things to say about certain members of the band though. :roll:

Congratulations!
Thank you. I'm trying not to lose my cool until it's moved in and starts up and makes sound in the house... but I will be celebrating for sure. Not to put too fine a point on it, but this is the realization of a dream I've had since I was 13.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Just another update for those of you who were getting into it about spacers:

I think we lucked out the speaker.Someone hadn`t put in a spacer to keep it from whacking the cabinet.I ran a sweep test on it,and it seemed good.A couple small spots needing a patch,but not deathly

So it sounds like the Altec will live to woof another day after all. And if it goes kaput, I can replace it down the line and all y'all can tell me how. :wink:

Or, you know, the Leslie will fit in my car, at least.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

I've patched many a speaker, including my beloved JBL G-125 8.

Altec made some excellent speakers, they were a premium brand. So that is a good save right there.

If your tech is willing, ask for the old tubes back. Very time consuming to test ALL of them, he probably just replaced everything.

Not that I said this (or even thought it!), but there can be some truly interesting tubes stuffed inside older organs and they are usually run at lower voltages and with less abuse than is typical for guitar amps. Cleaning sockets and tube pins can work wonders of their own as well.

Hammond used relabelled tubes often and who knows what has been put in there if there are replacements. Many of the tubes used are common in guitar amps and certain issues from specific manufacturers can be worth stupid money.

If the tech wants to hang on to them, perhaps that's how he is able to afford charging you less. In that case, it seems pretty fair for him to build his own stash. Maybe he'll sell you a few tested tubes for backups. The older USA and European tubes were made to a much higher standard than most modern tubes can aspire to, they last longer and sound better.

Not that you heard this from me, I would never buy an old Baldwin organ at the thrift store for $15, gut it, sell the amps and speakers and keep the tubes, that would be wrong and evil... :laugh:

,,, Not that you heard this from me, I would never buy an old Baldwin organ at the thrift store for $15, gut it, sell the amps and speakers and keep the tubes, that would be wrong and evil... :laugh:
Gotcha beat. I chopped an A-100 and sold the two Jensen P12Ns and the AO-35 reverb amp on ebay :duck:. For the last ten years or so, I've been looking for an empty A-100 cabinet to convert it back.

,,, Not that you heard this from me, I would never buy an old Baldwin organ at the thrift store for $15, gut it, sell the amps and speakers and keep the tubes, that would be wrong and evil... :laugh:
Gotcha beat. I chopped an A-100 and sold the two Jensen P12Ns and the AO-35 reverb amp on ebay :duck:. For the last ten years or so, I've been looking for an empty A-100 cabinet to convert it back.

I gave a Hammond M1 to a friend in Fresno when I moved up here. It worked pretty OK with no maintenance. The field coil speaker even worked, I think it was a form of compression, the louder you turned up the organ, more more squashed sounding it was, never got much louder.

To the left of the keyboard there was a horizontal wood panel with a a place where somebody put their drink. That spot was worn through the veneer and the first layer of plywood below it, very cool.

If I found an A-100 I would try to find a new home for it. Baldwin, Thomas, Gulbranson, Lowrey are all fair game as far as I'm concerned. PITA moving one though!!!! Gotta be some good stuff in there or I'm not interested.

One of my best sounding guitar amps is a converted Hammond amp, the builder enlarged the holes for the output tubes and made a hot-rodded Fender 5d3 cicuit with jumpered inputs and one channel brighter than the other. I get some great tones out of that one, way too loud though. Wish it was about 1 watt or so...

Well, friends, today was the day. My pal hooked up the trailer around 10am, and despite some slight delays (the tech lives on a narrow street in a rural neighborhood, and some state troopers were dealing with an accident about 50 feet from his front door... we killed some time until they were gone so they wouldn't be able to give us a hard time for blocking a lane while we loaded up), we had the Hammond and the Leslie in my studio shortly after noon.

I can't tell you how amazing this thing is. It's like seeing the Grand Canyon in person after years of being impressed by high definition video. The tech really went to bat for me -- "I wound up cleaning it up a little more than I planned," he said, and while my wife is planning to really dig in and get the wood shining like it's new, it's night and day from those first pictures I posted. The action feels incredible (he fixed the couple of droopy keys), he got the preamp and the motors on the Leslie so it swirls and overdrives just how I like it, and he even did me a solid and gave me a new Leslie cable ("the pins on the one that came with it were shot, and I thought about repairing them, but I figured instead I'd just swap you for one of my good ones"). Sounds like a lot of elbow grease to get all the dirt and grime out of there and get everything running again, but he said he's seen way worse, and it wound up being a real winner in his eyes. "Welcome to the club," he said before we got back in the van and drove off. Thrilled to now call myself a proud member.

Oh, and did I mention that he charged me a grand total of six hundred friggin' dollars?!

Here are a couple short videos my wife took of me noodling:

Clonk

Clink

Still gotta clean some dust out of the bass pedals and put them on, and I'll be setting up the rest of the keyboards there this afternoon, too... gotta sidle the Wurli up next to it, and (joy of joys) stack the Clavinet on top. Also need to put on the Leslie back panel that Jason scored for me; need to get my hands on some screws for that. Also, I'm really appreciating the Leslie speed switch that Neal mounted under (rather than on the front edge of) the lower manual, with the switch pointing at the floor -- it's a clever move, because you can change the Leslie speed with your left knee instead of taking a hand off the keys! Future mods I'd consider would include a footswitch mounted next to the expression pedal, and an in-line reverb or other effects chain pre-Leslie, but I think as-is it will keep me happy for quite some time.

I can't thank all of you enough for your advice, encouragement, assistance, and fun old Hammond stories. If it hadn't been for you, I would have settled for taking just the Leslie and letting the A100 keep rotting in that filthy attic. Now, instead, I've had a little dream come true, thanks to all y'all (and several strong and generous friends).

Expect more photos and videos of the rig as the studio comes together (we got a new interface yesterday, just in time to track some organ) and I use it with my bands and on my sessions. I'm a happy, happy boy today.

1361.thumb.jpg.bcb3218bc990b592e70126ae5fdd7b0b.jpg

1362.thumb.jpg.518fad37c2d2083eecabde283f9db8c5.jpg

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Awesome news and great video snippets! The Leslie speed switch seemed a little awkward in the video? Maybe you're just getting used to it. I've always been a fan of a footswitch at gigs, even though my A101 and 122 rig has a half moon that works fine for me. Enjoy the new beast! That all came together pretty quickly! Congrats!

Awesome news and great video snippets! The Leslie speed switch seemed a little awkward in the video? Maybe you're just getting used to it. I've always been a fan of a footswitch at gigs, even though my A101 and 122 rig has a half moon that works fine for me. Enjoy the new beast! That all came together pretty quickly! Congrats!
Definitely still getting used to it. Both of the video clips were taken before I figured out the knee trick, and I'm not used to changing speeds with my left hand (I'm a footswitch guy too). And while being able to use my leg to change speeds is great, the placement of the switch does make it harder to grab quickly if you are using your hand than if it were positioned like a regular half-moon. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, and like I said, I'm sure I can figure out a footswitch situation at some point if I want. I used my left foot to change speeds for the longest time, but once I started using bass pedals more often with the Mojo, I reprogrammed my brain to do it with the heel of my expression pedal foot (which is my right foot when I'm just playing organ, but my left if I'm playing organ with my left hand and Wurlitzer or piano with my right).

Since my last post, I've cleaned up and attached the bass pedals (ohhhh my gaaawwwwwwwd) and stacked the Clavinet on top of the Hammond. Having a blast here. Every now and then I hear some weird low-volume crackly noises through the Leslie, but they go in and out -- not sure if it's speaker weirdness, phone/radio interference, or electrical noise. Lots of outlets in my studio room, and we're still getting a handle on where the weird buzzes and noises and ground loops come from. At some point we'll get an electrician in there to fine-tune some things, but for now, I'll just pay attention to what I'm hearing and when.

Do you folks do anything special for your Hammonds' AC power, other than a solid surge protector? I pulled out an ungrounded AC cable from my stash because the power cable that was plugged into the Hammond when I rescued it looked like it was supposed to plug into somebody's living room lamp... didn't inspire a lot of confidence!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Do you folks do anything special for your Hammonds' AC power, other than a solid surge protector? I pulled out an ungrounded AC cable from my stash because the power cable that was plugged into the Hammond when I rescued it looked like it was supposed to plug into somebody's living room lamp... didn't inspire a lot of confidence!

When I got mine, what was being used for a power cord was a green two-prong extension cord, the kind with the four sockets on one end, and that was the end that was attached to the Hammond. I got a too long straight grounded extension cord to use instead. It looks a little better but it probably didn't matter.

Congrats on the rig, Sam! :2thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

FYI. I"m a swell pedal kickswitch guy for changing speeds. It"s a definite technique to it but if you learn to plant the heel in the right spot you can change speeds and not disrupt the volume. Bill Brown or the General can set you up with the part. My B-3 and B-3000 both had them. So did my EXP-100 for the XB2 and XK3c. I wish I had one for the SKX. Just using the half-moon for now.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It Lives! :2thu:

Nothing special for supplying power. The only solid-state devices in a stock setup are the rectifier diodes in the Leslie power amp.

For the future, you might consider a couple of things related to power. As you have noticed, the Hammond has no AC ground. An IEC connector will fit in the outlet box and a ground can be added. It also has no fuses. A fuse added to the preamp will protect the power transformer against a shorted rectifier tube or filter caps. You can read more about it here.

I installed that same fuse module on my preamp a few years ago. Should be very easy for your tech to do.

Since you"re a new home owner and mentioned having an electrician do some work I recommend installing a whole house surge suppressor. I just replaced mine and they cost about $150. And then maybe another $100 to have installed.

You still need the power strip type surge protectors for your sensitive electronics. But together I think this is the most practical protection you can provide without spending a fortune.

Btw looking good Sam. Looking real good :2thu:

Probably stating the obvious here but what"s so cool and special about acquiring a Hammond/Leslie is there"s almost always a memorable story to go with it; the traveling involved, who you met, the logistics of moving it etc. It"s an adventure.

Not so much with most other things we purchase which usually goes like...

Today I took delivery of (fill in blank).

Translation: Today I spotted the brown box on my porch I was expecting and pulled it inside.

The end.

:bor:

Sam don't get any back panel screws I have them. I also want to swap out that back panel to correctly match a 60's 147 for you. The serial on that one panel is from the 70's,

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• 2 weeks later...

Maintenance/ongoing cleanup question: I'm having some intermittent crackling noises coming through the Leslie. It's more prominent on certain low register notes, but will sometimes happen when I'm not playing at all; I'm hearing it through the rotor as well as the drum, so it's not the Altec speaker. Based on what I've read, I'm thinking/hoping it's just some dirty tube sockets (lord knows this thing collected a ton of dirt, and who knows what got shuffled around when the tech replaced the tubes and we carted it back to my place; I didn't notice the crackling until I'd been playing it for a few days), but I've attached a video in the hopes that the more experienced Hammond folks will have ideas.

[video:youtube]

If it is dirty tube sockets, is DeOxit and a brush and/or cue tip the way to go? I've heard that stuff is amazing for cleaning the contacts, but I've heard both good and bad about using it on the tubes... inquiring minds want to know!

Also, here's a brief clip of Outkaster checking the organ out when he came by last week to drop off a back panel and some screws for the Leslie.

[video:youtube]

Other than the minor issue of the crackling, I'm having a fantastic time. :grin:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Have you tried wiggling the Leslie cable connections? That wouldn't explain it only happening on certain notes, but is was often a source of intermittent crackling on mine. Doesn't cost anything to check.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain