Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Couch board: besides Casiotone / Go Keys?

My desire for a couch keyboard, or a lightweight travel keyboard is similar to many here. I've followed the threads on the subject with great interest and finally bought me a Casiotone CT-S300. Great price, decent action, fantastic size and weight, it even has a pitch bend wheel. Trouble is, I HATE the onboard speakers and sounds. I've had more than my share of budget keyboards, many of them Casios, and the sound quality brings back bad memories, except worst than before. I've never heard such poor onboard speakers, and the way it represents the sounds is just atrocious. To be fair, I haven't played these sounds thru proper monitors, but that's not the point. As a couch keyboard, I want to run it off batteries, not have to plug it into better speakers or into my iPad for better sounds. I guess it's just too much to ask that a $150 keyboard that is otherwise perfect, would also have decent speakers and sounds.

So I went looking- turns out the Go Piano 61 and Go Keys, both over twice as much money at $329, are the only other game in town that I found. Like the Casiotone, they are ridiculously light at 8 pounds, 10 oz., and are also refreshingly shallow, only 10.6" deep. There are many budget 61 boards out there, some of the Casio CTX models (like the CTX 3000 and 5000) look promising given their upgraded sound quality and powerful speakers, but the weight and depth disqualify them for couch duties, though for travel they'd be preferable (singalongs with family).

Like the Casiotones, the Go Piano/Keys also have 5 measly watts of speaker power, but I heard far fewer complaints and even a few compliments regarding the speakers. And apparently, the Go boards get their sounds from Roland DS boards, so you're not dealing with atrocious 1 layer sounds that should have been retired 10 years ago.

I've had to cool my heels, the Go Piano is not available anywhere I could find, so I thought I'd put this out to other KC forumites. Know of any other decent sounding/playing boards that qualify as couch boards? That is under 11" deep, under 10 pounds in weight, and hopefully under $500? And any compelling reason for the Go Piano vs the Go Keys? Hard to tell from reviews, but apparently? the Go Piano has a slightly better keybed for piano playing, and has a music holder.

Thanks!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I had the Go Piano 61 for 3 years and I loved having it with me while traveling around the world, but the key action eventually wore on me, like a pebble in your shoe. FYI - as far as I can tell, the Go Keys has almost the exact same action, there's small difference, but nothing significant.

As a travel keyboard, the Go Piano was at it's best as a Bluetooth MIDI controller - wirelessly controlling an iPhone + portable speaker for better sounds. I could setup the iPhone/speaker together and then go play the Go Piano on the couch. Or I could use the iPhone+headphones and drop it in my pocket (look ma! no wires!). For better sound, I used a hefty Bose travel speaker; but if I did it again, I'd go for the IK Multimedia iLoud portable speaker.

That travel setup is is as close to a 'guitar experience' as I've had with a keyboard. Very, very satisfying. Brought it up to the mountains, beach, pool, wine country etc. no problem - and there"s nothing like walking out to some vineyards in Tuscany and jamming with the local guitar players!

I'm still sore about the Go action and jones'ing for another travel/couch keyboard. Unfortunately, there's nothing out there with a decent action (plus it needs Bluetooth MIDI). I was excited about the Korg Kross 2/61 - until I got to try the keys - they were awful, a couple of steps down from the Go Piano! There is also the Korg MicroKey Air 61, which is a hoot, but you'll have to deal with mini-keys.

After I sold the Go Piano, I thought of modding the action ... maybe with constant force springs ... perhaps if I find a used one for sale.

CT-X700? It is $29 more than Casiotone CT-S300 and the sounds and speakers are a world of difference.

Weights 9.5 lbs and is a little larger.

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

What do you expect for $150?

I bought a Go Keys for the Grandkids to use when they came to visit.

It was returned after their first play with it, neither liked it.

Out of interest there was a Go Piano 88 powered on in a Music Shop so I had a 30 second play, honestly that was enough, it had a poor key action and the piano voices were well a bit thin.

A Casio CT X as suggested would be a much better buy.

Col

I purchased a Yamaha Reface CP (used from Craigslist,) for couch and as a respectable midi Rhodes with analog dials for effects. A GoPiano or Casiotone and similar cheap keyboards IMO, will become great yard sale items, but a Reface or similar (?) IMO would be a better investment. Also, a 37 note keyboard is not only a couch board but it's a Lap board. A 61 note board would probably need a coffee table, etc. to utilize.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I have found that the S300 sounds much better through headphones or a connected speaker. For just couch practicing, I think the sounds coming out of the built-in speakers is sufficient.

I've not played the Go:Keys, but I find the S300 very playable. And the price is definitely in the sweet spot by comparison.

I basically gave up on looking for a satisfying couch keyboard. There is no such thing like a satisfying couch keyboard, especially not if you would also need a sustain pedal like for piano. Better to invest your couch time in something more rewarding. A uke is a great couch instrument, or a kalimba, or a harmonica, or maybe a melodica. Forget about couch keyboards though.
2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

We need to make our voices heard. Lazy people unite!!

Um, yeah. . .

I've posted before about being happy with the Irig 49. For me, 4 octaves is Goldilocks for couchjamming and travelboarding. On the negative side, no built in speakers and no internal sounds, so you do have to connect a few things. The horror!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thanks everyone for the replies!

@ Groove On, thanks for the mini-review. Yeah, I'm worried with the Go Piano/Keys that it'll feel like the FA06, one of the worst, shallow action boards I know of. I hadn't thought about the BT MIDI, that'd make it possible to set up and leave an iPad and speakers combo, no wires! Did you find the latency acceptable?

@ MM, that's interesting, I hadn't even looked at the CTX700, I just assumed all the new CTX models were close to the same weight and depth, but no. The one I'd most likely consider without this comparison is the CTX 3000, the best model that still can run off of batteries, but it's a big step up in weight and depth:

CTX 700: 9.5 lbs., 13.8" deep

CTX3000: 15.2 lbs., 15.1" deep

However, the CTX700 is also only working with 5 watts of power. I suppose with a bigger speaker chamber that would help. Of the bunch, the CTX 5000 is very tempting, esp with 30 watts of power, 1/4" outs, etc., but no battery power!

@ Biggles, I said as much in my post, that at $150 it did well to nail the size, weight and action. I did a customer review of the CT-S300, and stopped myself from giving it a 3 star rating, gave it 4 stars in light of what it accomplishes for $150. So no, I didn't expect the moon, but from others reviews on this forum I thought I'd like the quality of sound and speakers more.

@ 16251, Yeah, a lot of people say that even with mini-keys, the Reface series are surprisingly fun to play. I agree, even in the welter weight category, a 61 note board is still a long plank across the knees. Does your CP also have any sounds other than EPs? Looking at SW, I notice it's one of the 2 Reface boards that retained its $399 price. Does the single speaker give you any satisfaction?

@ Rusty Mike, yeah, I should at least try the CTS300 out with headphones before giving up on it. But it doesn't look good so far. I'm visiting SF, moved to San Diego area 2 months ago. I borrowed someones amp at the very noisy hippie hill jam in golden gate park, and pretty consistently I could whomp on the bass of any given sound, but anything above middle C didn't cut thru at all (with a few exceptions). Don't know if that was partly the amp, but it once again made me dislike the sound quality.

@ Gretel, good points, though I do have a coffee table at suitable height, so I wouldn't always be trying to play it in my lap or in bed, which allows for other positionings. More than anything, I like the idea of a couch keyboard because I'm working my fingers even if I'm having 'down time'. Maybe I'll just forget the above limitations of depth and weight, setup a 61 noter for coffee table playing, with sustain pedal and all just waiting to be plugged in. Though I do like being able to sit in bed and play as well. I play the melodica and alto recorder, and am usually self-conscious playing it if others are around. With a keyboard you have a volume knob.

@ Adan, Yes! I may be a bit lazy and prone to too much screen time, but at least I can set myself up to be semi-productive, eh? I have the iRig Keys I/O 49, and need to sell it, really dislike the action, relating to a controller with 3 character display, the touch controls which are way to easy to activate, their proprietary USB cable, etc. But beyond that, it's more of a hassle to set-up, lots of wires and fussing, than I want to do for casual playing.

Once again, thanks everyone, more feedback is welcome. As has happened before, the act of writing out what I think I want and getting peoples responses has helped me consider other possibilities. I guess as much as wanting a couch/travel keyboard, I want something relatively small that I'm not too worried about. I can carry it in my van and not be too concerned with it being stolen or damaged. Keyboard wise I'm in a great place, I have 2 of the best boards out there for my needs, the Korg PA 1000 and the Kawai ES110, both of which I absolutely love. I'm a little more reluctant to casually bring my beauties out in the world!

@ 16251, Yeah, a lot of people say that even with mini-keys, the Reface series are surprisingly fun to play. I agree, even in the welter weight category, a 61 note board is still a long plank across the knees. Does your CP also have any sounds other than EPs? Looking at SW, I notice it's one of the 2 Reface boards that retained its $399 price. Does the single speaker give you any satisfaction?

Rhodes, DynoRhodes sym, Wurli, Clav, Toy piano, CP70. Secret sound: Before turning on spin knob that picks sound and place it between two sounds, then when you turn on you get (usable but low quality) acoustic piano sound.

There is two speakers, yes stereo. Not bad sound.

It is fun to dial in a Rhodes sound with stereo vibrato, phase, analog echo (sym,) digital reverb and distortion. Only thing missing ring modulation.

Once I decided I wanted one I started searching used as I wouldn't spend $399 for it. I think it's still worth that price but I needed a deal since I really didn't need it. After a month I found one, barely used with box, etc. for $250.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

CT-X700? It is $29 more than Casiotone CT-S300 and the sounds and speakers are a world of difference.

I'm all aboard with that. I have a CTX700 and I think it sounds terrific.

The keys have a plasticy kind of a squeak to them but that is to be expected on a budget keyboard. But to my ears, the speakers sound great.

Rhodes, DynoRhodes sym, Wurli, Clav, Toy piano, CP70. Secret sound: Before turning on spin knob that picks sound and place it between two sounds, then when you turn on you get (usable but low quality) acoustic piano sound.

There is two speakers, yes stereo. Not bad sound.

It is fun to dial in a Rhodes sound with stereo vibrato, phase, analog echo (sym,) digital reverb and distortion. Only thing missing ring modulation.

Once I decided I wanted one I started searching used as I wouldn't spend $399 for it. I think it's still worth that price but I needed a deal since I really didn't need it. After a month I found one, barely used with box, etc. for $250.

Sweet price! Yeah, that's more in the ballpark for what I'd be willing to pay. An unlikely choice but I'll keep it in mind, thanks.

I'm all aboard with that. I have a CTX700 and I think it sounds terrific.

The keys have a plasticy kind of a squeak to them but that is to be expected on a budget keyboard. But to my ears, the speakers sound great.

Thanks. At $179 it's a lot of keyboard. Hopefully I can try one in a store to see if I can get on with the action. Is the action the same across the CTX line?

@ MM, that's interesting, I hadn't even looked at the CTX700, I just assumed all the new CTX models were close to the same weight and depth, but no. The one I'd most likely consider without this comparison is the CTX 3000, the best model that still can run off of batteries, but it's a big step up in weight and depth:

However, the CTX700 is also only working with 5 watts of power. I suppose with a bigger speaker chamber that would help. Of the bunch, the CTX 5000 is very tempting, esp with 30 watts of power, 1/4" outs, etc., but no battery power!

CT-X700 has 85% of the same sounds as the CT-X3000. The CT-X3000 is a more sophisticated arranger keyboard and has a larger speaker system but the core sounds are the same. I'll add that the CT-X3000 also has tone and effects editing but again for a "couch keyboard" the CT-X700 is great if the Casiotone isn't working for you.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

@ Groove On, thanks for the mini-review. Yeah, I'm worried with the Go Piano/Keys that it'll feel like the FA06, one of the worst, shallow action boards I know of. I hadn't thought about the BT MIDI, that'd make it possible to set up and leave an iPad and speakers combo, no wires! Did you find the latency acceptable?

Yes, for me the Bluetooth MIDI latency on the Go Piano was very, very usable/playable. I mostly used Korg Module and Ravenscroft with the iPhone plugged direct into the portable speaker. You could test it on your ES100 to see if the BT MIDI latency is "good enough" for you, latency should be similar to the Go Piano.

This guy has a similar Bluetooth setup using the Korg MicroKey Air-61.

• Like 1

Yes, for me the Bluetooth MIDI latency on the Go Piano was very, very usable/playable. I mostly used Korg Module and Ravenscroft with the iPhone plugged direct into the portable speaker. You could test it on your ES100 to see if the BT MIDI latency is "good enough" for you, latency should be similar to the Go Piano.

This guy has a similar Bluetooth setup using the Korg MicroKey Air-61.

Most groovilicious dude! This board was not even on my radar, and with the BT MIDI, it makes it possible to set everything up in advance, the iPad/phone and speaker, and just turn everything on. And, I'd be able to do 10ths! I like it that it has real mod and pitch wheels as well, and at $239 for the 61 noter, that's very doable. However I'd need to ck it out in person, not sure I'd want minikeys. Thanks again!

CT-X700 has 85% of the same sounds as the CT-X3000. The CT-X3000 is a more sophisticated arranger keyboard and has a larger speaker system but the core sounds are the same. I'll add that the CT-X3000 also has tone and effects editing but again for a "couch keyboard" the CT-X700 is great if the Casiotone isn't working for you.

Hey Mike, good as always to see you on the forum!

Does the CTX 700 have the same keybed as the other CTX boards?

Does the CTX 700 have the same keybed as the other CTX boards?

Yes, different from the newer Casiotone models.

-Mike Martin

Casio

So, update on the ongoing saga. Decided to give the Casio CT-X700 a try. It's in the welterweight category at 9.5 pounds, has an unfortunate depth at 13.8", but that's still better than the others in the CT-X line that goes 15.1" deep. I was getting into feature creep, I could still keep the cost down to $299 and be battery powered if I got the CT-X3000 with it's more powerful speakers, but that's getting a lot heavier and deeper, and the point was to have a cheapie keyboard I wasn't worried about losing/damaging, and my budget is better suited to under $200 anyways.

The X700 will arrive Tuesday. NOONE had it in stock, but AMS had an open box and one with a slight blemish, so I'll give a comparison tour with it and the CT-S300.

Am sitting up in bed, nice cushions behind my back, legs outstretched and a pillow between them, watching Netflix, playing known songs in various keys, so on semi-automatic pilot, keeping my fingers moving and my sense of playing by ear tuned up. It's really comfortable, and is a better height and distance than folding my legs and stretching the keyboard across them. I like the CT-S300 better now than my very first impression, and it certainly fulfills its function of being a lightweight and shallow board, esp compared to the aircraft carriers that most of the casio and yamaha boards are, with 15-16" depth! I like it a bit better, but am looking forward to better sound from the X700 speakers and the AIX sound chip.

One thing PianoManChuck said in his video comparison of the CT-X3000 vs X5000 is that with the separate line outs you get with the X5000, the board sums it to the mono output when you take it from the mono jack. Otherwise, with the X3000 having only a stereo out, a mono signal is not summed, you simply get half of the signal. Good point if that's true. I prefer to monitor and amplify in stereo, but that's not always possible.

In any case, thanks again for the input, the CT-X700 was not even being considered!

FWIW I picked up a mint Casio CTK-3500 at a local online auction for just $35 a few days ago. It's got 61 touch sensitive keys, a pitch bend wheel, and USB midi. It has a 48 note polyphony sound engine that's similar to the Casiotone CT-s300's and is only slightly larger (~7.5 lbs, 37.2"x12.1"x 3.6"). On the downside, the CTK-3500's speakers are less powerful and beefy than the CT-s300's (4 vs. 5 watts) and it lacks the CT-s300's cool carrying handle. Despite these shortcomings, all-in-all I like the CTK-3500 for a couch / bed keyboard, especially for the price I paid.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

• 3 months later...

I missed this thread, but it is awesome. I'm so glad I'm not alone in sometimes practicing like this :)

That CTX-3000 is a real find.

I have done it with:

DM12 (heavy)

Virus TI (Really heavy)

Numa C2X (good but wide wings)

A-pro 49 key. (fine but I don't love the keys)

Necktar T4 (my favorite so far)

These old Fatars look fun, I wonder what action they used:

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/TPXt-6OMn_o

There is one of these brand new in box on reverb.

Some call it the "studio 49" Under 5 pounds. Only sends on MIDI 1 I think. Can be used with a PWS, but there is confusion about connector. I found a guy who had got help from fatar, and it turned out it was just the normal SL880 type, but the writing on the unit makes it seem like something else.

The fancier one is the TMK-49 which has wheels and multi channel MIDI.

OK, this guy knows his M-Audio 49s:

Note what he says about the Keystation 49es (older) and he shows it.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Lost track of this thread. Time for an update!

I got the Casio CT-X700 and was thrilled!

- Same speaker wattage as the CT-S300, only 5 watts, but night and day difference. The speakers are loud and clear, surprisingly so.

- The sounds are decent! In fact, this board could be used as a backup board for gigging players. The CT-S300 doesn't even come close.

- The action is better than I expected, esp after you set the velocity response to Heavy (I'm used to weighted action)

- The weight at 10 pounds makes it super portable, and at $179, I'm not stressing about it getting stolen or damaged.

The CT-X700 does have notable limitations (which shouldn't be held against it at this price point):

- no pitchbend (you have to get the X800 for that)

- no real mixer function (while you can split and layer, the volumes are fixed)

Having liked the X700 so much, I fell prey to Casio's nefarious upgrade scheme and I began wondering what the X5000, their top of the line in this series, would be like.

Once again, Casio hit it out of the park. I have a 6 pound lithium battery, so it's lack of a battery operation is not a problem. It's speaker system is on a par with the Casio MZ-X500 (their $1,100 board), as far as I remember, so super detailed and loud. More of the very good sounds, decent action. Altogether the best-bang-for buck for under $500 that I know of.

By point of comparison, my Korg Pa1000 ($2,200) is much better in every way (except possibly the action, which does have AT but is lacking at this price point). The sound quality, the speakers, the arranger capabilities- magnitude or two better than my CT-X5000.

But that's to be expected. What surprises me is how good the sounds, action and speakers on the X700 and X5000 are for this price point. They're both really fun to play, and super portable!

I purchased a Yamaha Reface CP (used from Craigslist,) for couch and as a respectable midi Rhodes with analog dials for effects. A GoPiano or Casiotone and similar cheap keyboards IMO, will become great yard sale items, but a Reface or similar (?) IMO would be a better investment. Also, a 37 note keyboard is not only a couch board but it's a Lap board. A 61 note board would probably need a coffee table, etc. to utilize.

This was going to be my suggestion. Probably the best size/sound option for using built in speakers.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

More great info, thanks so much for the update!

One thing I note:

CTX700=9.5 lbs

CT-X5000 = 15lbs same as Numa C2x (which I already own).

Does anyone use the Roland A-49?

I get the idea the is the best 49 key action in a light-weight board.

I'm considering finding a old Fatar action like my TP10 in the SL880, or TP40, and using the Doepher modules to make a light 48 hammer action for the couch. I hear the fatars are "easily" split into two parts 48 and 40 keys.

The SL73 is a steal right now, but it's 25lbs. Too heavy for the couch on a regular basis. Even my DM12 at 18lbs, I regard as too heavy.

I could butcher my SL-880...that would be emotional as I bought it new in the 80s and still love it today. A few years ago I thought the rubber bits were going on a quiet few keys and easily and cheaply ordered replacements. But a full reset totally resolved the issue, TYG before I had it apart.

It's remarkable there is no 49 hammer action at all. Fatar did make the YMK-148, which is unobtanium, and there are shops which will make custom boards, basically a chop of older Fatars. We should rattle the Studiologic cage for ultra light couch ready 49 hammer action with good MIDI and those little Numa speakers, which are fine in a small room for practice. It would be pretty easy for them to throw one together and if they could keep it below 500 and around 15lbs.....Katie barr the door!

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

More great info, thanks so much for the update!

One thing I note:

CTX700=9.5 lbs

CT-X5000 = 15lbs same as Numa C2x (which I already own).

Exactly. And my fantastic Pa1000 weighs 23.7 pounds, not exactly a lap friendly weight for bed.

Though... In my new Southern California space, there's a coffee table and couch that is really great for playing. The coffee table is 17.5" high and the couch is about 15". Have never had a more comfortable playing arrangement! Good for any keyboard I put on the coffee table.

I demoed the Roland GoKeys, GoPiano, and Casiotone S300, and went with the Casiotone. I haven't tried the CTX700.

My feeling was the "Go Keys" was at the bottom of the list, with the "Go Piano" at the top (but twice as much). Between the "Go Keys" and "Casiotone S300", the action and sound was slightly better on the Casiotone. Move up to the GoPiano and it beats everything else, but at a higher price bracket.

This is silly, but one thing that gives Casiotone a plus is THE HANDLE. Dumb, I know, but it's super convenient for a little travel keyboard. It just makes it so easy and is a great feature. The Gos are SLIGHTLY shorter (by an inch), but still not carryon sized. I was able to check my Casiotone for an island hop, just in its original box, no problems. Did a few open mics and small gigs with it, made some new friends, totally worth the $120 for that trip alone.

BTW: for travel keyboards, I'm a BIG fan of putting wheels above the keys. I find that keyboard length is the largest factor in travelability, so I like my controllers to be key-to-key with as little extra stuff as possible. Even more so with 88key boards as it makes a difference between being able to fit it in the back of a car or not. That's my one gripe with the Casiotone, they put the pitch wheel off the end, and could have shaved a few inches off by putting it above. I know some people have preferences for beside, but I've never found it a problem and am perfectly happy reaching up to grab wheels, if it means being able to more easily travel with the instrument.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Another keyboard for couch playing consideration, the Alesis RECITAL 61 US$200. I was able to try one out the other day and was pleasantly surprised by the semi-weighted key action. Probably the best action in this price range and the only budget 61-keys I've seen with a semi-weighted action . It's definitely better than the typical plastic synth action (e.g. Roland Go Piano).

Other features:

USB B Port (the squarish one)

RCA Stereo Out (meh, but fine)

1/4 Headphone jack

Edge-to-edge keys (no cheeks/wings to significantly increase length)

The main con for me is the Alesis brand. I'm not really confident in their build quality.

Alesis RECITAL 61

https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/recital-61

** don't confuse it with the Alesis HARMONY 61 which looks the same but has the plastic synth action