Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

It's called Patterning for iPad. I haven't picked up the newer Patterning 2, but it's a great drum machine app for $20. It uses sections of a circle to visualize and build patterns interactively and then a huge open/free library of endless drums and electronic sounds that are contributed by the user community. Fun app for sure.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I have a beginner rig, it is what it is. I made a choice 3 years ago to buy a performance car--which really pissed off my wife--and the compromise was that I wouldn't make any other major purchases till it's paid off and I've stuck to that. Though I am REALLY getting bit by the keyboard bug lately.

I have an SV-1 88 key as my main. Bought it new like 5 years ago and despite weekly band practices and being played constantly, the keybed and control panel look and play like the day I got it. I've had zero problems with it.

My back-up keyboard is an old Yamaha YPG-625. It was my first keyboard that wasn't a toy, and I basically just use it to fill the gaps the SV-1 doesn't cover. It's not great, but it has a few dozen passable voices (and I didn't know any better when I got it).

When I recently decided to stop playing in bands for a while, I bought a Boss RC-3 loop station to experiment with and I've had an absolute blast. If you've ever considered a loop pedal, take the leap. There are some cheap ones that get the job done, but the RC-3 is a great balance of price and features.

My next keyboard will be a flexible analogue synth like a Prologue 16.

1323.thumb.jpg.d6db2caeb4e53d0128e0337529274284.jpg

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

I have had a very active summer of redoing my home studio with a very comprehensive performance space.

Nice setup, Jeff! You"re in Charlotte? Who do you gig with? I get down there fairly regularly.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Tell me about your uke! What is it and do you actually play it?

Thank you for asking! It's a Mitchell concert uke, and there's a funny story behind that. Back when I was in college, I signed up for an elective class called something like "music appreciation." Well I showed up for the first day and this crazy ass teacher tells us "Surprise, this is ukulele class! Instead of a textbook, buy a ukulele." Most of the class bought whatever $30-50 cheapo they could find online, but I knew I'd want to keep it and spent a little bit of money on it.

The "final" for ukulele class was to write a song (with lyrics) and perform in front of everyone. I'm not much of a singer, but in a class of 30 normies, at least I was on pitch. I wrote a little bar chord blues song and killed it on performance day, fun memory!

It's a great little uke with nice tone and a really pretty build. I do play it, but I'm not nearly as proficient as I am with keyboard.

That's the great thing about ukes, they are fun and even a pretty decent one is still fairly inexpensive. And technology doesn't advance as fast as with keyboards, so that even after 12 years a good uke is still a good uke. I am usually a piano player, but sometimes the super simple super portable super unassuming nature of ukes really appeals to me.
2019 W.Hoffmann T122 upright, Roland FP-50, Roland RD64, Korg Microkorg

wineandkeyz - Yes, I lived in Charlotte for 5 years now. (Previously in Pittsburgh which is where my member name came from). Right now my working band (Funkyard Dog) is pretty quiet around here for the rest of the year.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

That's the great thing about ukes, they are fun and even a pretty decent one is still fairly inexpensive. And technology doesn't advance as fast as with keyboards, so that even after 12 years a good uke is still a good uke. I am usually a piano player, but sometimes the super simple super portable super unassuming nature of ukes really appeals to me.

...and, from everything I hear, they are extremely popular and sell really well. :thu:

More than a few manufacturers make and market them.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

wineandkeyz - Yes, I lived in Charlotte for 5 years now. (Previously in Pittsburgh which is where my member name came from). Right now my working band (Funkyard Dog) is pretty quiet around here for the rest of the year.

I"ll have to check y"all out when/if things get back to normal. I play in Trial by Fire, a Journey tribute based out of Charlotte, although I live a couple hours away.

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

• 2 weeks later...
It's a damned shame that Anaheim is so close yet so far from Dave's place, since it seems like the NAMM KC meetup should be held at his house. ;):thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Man, that set up is mindblowing to me.

Dave, do you just sit in a different spot each day and rock out or do you have a primary set up you focus on, then use the other keyboard stacks for particular purposes? Also curious if you own a Crumar Seven like you played in the demo video you did recently.

Wow- nice job dB! Even your cables are neatly laid out which I know is a tremendous amount of work in itself.

Yep.

What"s the small blue gizmo under the lava lamp?

If you mean the unit sitting on the Alesis Nanotracker (!), that's a Modal Craft synth.

preview2-1024x1024.jpg

If you mean the box next to that, it's a Kenton Pro Solo Mk II pitch to MIDI converter for the Mini.

Dave, do you just sit in a different spot each day and rock out or do you have a primary set up you focus on, then use the other keyboard stacks for particular purposes?

My studio has been my primary domestic music hang for twenty years. I last renovated it in 2005, and with all the gear that's come and gone it's been in need of an overhaul for a while.

The downstairs space was just a piano for most of the time we lived here...except we would fill it with instruments and a PA for parties occasionally. Then, I got the Hammond in 2017...then I started working with a female singer for live stuff and the piano was the best place to work, then we added a guitar player and needed a small PA, so I set up a few synths down there. The next thing you know, we've built a band that rehearses there...

...and the best part is that my wife likes it. She digs the live music...or did, anyway before having the band in the house became an issue. We're empty nesters as well - that helps.

Also curious if you own a Crumar Seven like you played in the demo video you did recently.

No. Don't really need it.

If you look to the left of the D50, you can see a Gemini tabletop.

dB

If you mean the unit sitting on the Alesis Nanotracker (!), that's a Modal Craft synth.

preview2-1024x1024.jpg

dB

Ah- got a quick glimpse of one a few NAMM shows ago. Thought it looked vaguely familiar. Getting any good sounds out of it?

[Getting any good sounds out of it?

Not really. I spend a bit more time with the Uno and Sonicware ELZ1 that are sitting behind the Keylab 61 - they're more interesting. The Modal makes interesting studio jewelry though...doncha think?

I'm pretty sure I'm never doing that again. Ouch...

Famous last words :laugh:

Deady serious, though. This took more time and effort than I expected. Last time I revved the studio I was 45...now, I'm almost 60.

It took it's toll too, I'm afraid. As some of you know I had surgery on my right shoulder last year. I've been needing to get the left one fixed for a while as well, and this project seems to have accelerated that. I'm going in to get it repaired next Friday...but MAN, do I have a hell of a rehab room or what????

dB

New studio configuration is done.

I'm pretty sure I'm never doing that again. Ouch...

dB

I wanna see it in a month, with a coffee cups and donut crumbs, guitars sprawled hither and yon.

The Tasmanian Devil rules!!!!

Lookin' good there, with so many keyboards I'd have to invite my friends over, even the ones I don't like...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Wow, some really NICE rigs above!

I haven't played this game yet, as I surely can't compete with the others on having the best boards, or the quantity of keys or boards; but maybe I'll get some points for the pedals -- and if that doesn't do it, then I'll surely get something for the lighting I added...

Here's my (T to B):

Yamaha MX61, Mojo 61 and Roland FP-30 on an Apex-48 stand, with the Mojo Pedals below. Since this first image was taken months ago, I've put the Thump 12As up onto stands:

k0ght4o.jpg

As you can see -- sometimes I do suffer from PEDALMANIA.

Maybe I'll get some "style points" for the red LED lighting I've added though -- these work really slick in dim lighting:

OMSq6GM.jpg

VHS0DtE.jpg

Rock on!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Here are my gigging rig, at least for now

D072E57B-A94C-4DF9-B571-A1AC54BD1380.jpeg

Living room, my wife left me, upgraded her to a younger model (-67)

F1411D84-EFE9-40F6-BB34-411468627D03.jpeg

Am getting a warning that I have reached my max upload limit, will try to edit, or add a new post for the rest

1354.jpg.7da8384355d8fcfe9cd71487cbaa6db8.jpg

1355.jpg.1319dfa68dae8cb252b025700db41e92.jpg

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Finally, a system the CPS can handle. Below are an old Acoustic subwoofer I had in spare from an old Home Theater system.

Love my Leslie, but it take up more space, cant use the reverb unit, and can"t get it to growl unless I am playing much louder.

A426956A-6630-41C8-BCD7-783F0AE2C210.jpeg

Finally my man cave. A mess right now, haven"t been here for a while, to hot to be there in the summer months. On the floor are a lot of cables, some of it from the Leslie, where I have been messing with a hookup soloution for my DMC or Mojo to the 147 standing there in the corner.

The Hydra are my latest addition, stored away here for some days when my daughter demand some place on the table in the living room :roll:

Lot"s of other gear stored away in opposite corner. Nord C1, Kronos 61, Yamaha CP70, M1 ........

CB59F03A-84AA-465C-8334-304AC2E36621.jpeg

1356.jpg.81e800cf4ba40a16a22f2e3ae0d542b0.jpg

1357.jpg.b845ce40d2c4dff5b70fb9afd429c136.jpg

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Old No. 7... I'm curious what is holding up the back of the mixer on the bottom board? Thanks

The mixer sits in a black tray that is screwed into the top of the FP-30 about 2" from the back edge, and then on the back panel of the FP I also mounted an L-shaped bracket to support the back part of the tray. I carefully drilled through the plastic of the FP panels (only as deep as necessary) and then probed with a wooden toothpick to ensure I had headroom to put panel screws into the void. I used black colored "automotive" trim screws from the hardware store. The tray holding the mixer was made from a sheet of ABS plastic bought from ebay (cheap). I then used a heatgun to heat it up and formed 1/2" tall 90-degree lips on 4 sides (clamped it between pieces of wood in a vise and bent it over). There's a piece of heavy-duty Velcro attached to the bottom of the mixer that securely holds it in the tray.

This setup works really well for me and was cheap to make, thanks.

Now if I only had a 3rd foot to use on those pedals.................

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

• 1 month later...
Wow- nice job dB! Even your cables are neatly laid out which I know is a tremendous amount of work in itself.

Yep.

preview2-1024x1024.jpg

The pots on that thing look like they came from a garden hose connector kit! :laugh:

f0c8383d-28f0-4869-a880-04a958c3b919_400.jpg