Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT (?): testing Camelot Pro (beta)

Just a heads up for those who are interested in this stuff. I am currently beta testing Camelot Pro v2 ( https://camelotpro.com/ ) , and I have to say so far what they have implemented will make this a real "go-to" for running with an iOS system at gigs...I previously used v1.1, but it only had limited functionality so I used AUM Mixer instead, but now, in v2, I can have insert effects (any AUv3) multiple times, it loads and plays audio files with full controls, can load pdf files (great for chart readers) also with a lot of control and annotaions.

I will post a detailed report in the MPN Gearlab section later on. The hardware system is PX-5s, Alesis Control Hub, a great little device to get expression pedal input (https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php ) and a Swann non-powered usb hub.

I use the PX and iPad in combo as the PX while good for pianos and EP's is pretty ordinary for organs, synths and strings and for those I am using the iPad..

Anyhoo more in the detailed report, for now Camelot Pro is too "crashy" so when that settles and I get a solid system, I'll report back.

Dennis

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, this is great to hear. I remember there was a very active thread about Camelot when the first version came out in late 2018 (?), but most folks seemed to come to the same conclusion that it was too buggy and unreliable to be a true replacement for Mainstage or an iOS Mainstage solution. Looking forward to your Gearlab posts.

I've also seen some video evidence that Ali Gokturk has been working on Keystage Version 2, which will allow AUv3 plugins to be opened directly in the app, rather than just functioning as a MIDI control app. Exciting times for digital music-making!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Super happy that they FINALLY implemented insert effects... that's been a big elephant in the room for that project. I demoed v1.1 on my MBP and didn't experience any bugs. I was seriously considering using it for an important show, but went a different direction. I've never tried it on iOS, nor have much interest to. Until AUv2 and AUv3 are 100% compatible back and forth, I've got too much invested in desktop VIs to go iOS.

But I love Audio Modeling, great company, killer VIs in their own right. Their patch/song workflow philosophy is EXACTLY what I've been wanting for for years (and have basically hacked MainStage into doing via an external MIDI router). I would totally switch if I hadn't put years of work into my MainStage concerts.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Thanks for posting this Miden - Ironically, to 'save money' I"ve invested a lot over thins in iOS instruments and effects.

However, I"ve always found that AUM, as great as it is, seemed to introduce a bit of latency, especially in Korg Module.

Q: does the Camelot host introduce any noticeable latency?

Nope, not so far...I am using iPad Pro 12" and running at 256 (5ms) most of the time and the hand/ear connect is sweet.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

I"m sorry to sidetrack this post, Dennis, but I have a question for you.

A couple years ago I bought a Exp.pedal to USB adapter and it was unusable with my DAW. Constantly spitting out data - if you 'floor' the pedal and not touch afterwards, it would spit out #s between 123 to 127 rapidly and spastically. Completely clog up a recorded track.

Do you know if those Audiofront guys truly shut-the-hell-up when the pedal is idle? I guess you would have to hook it up to something that shows MIDI activity.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Hey Dan, first off, no problems with asking anything, it's good sometimes how things evolve over time :) This is primarily about using an iPad and not a PC DAW per se, but it's probably all related hahaha!

Okay, now it's funny you ask about that because I was having a similar issue with a high quality exp pedal where you would have it fully up (as in 0) and it would respond, but then it would bounce back to 127 with no contact on the pedal...I swapped it out for a "no-name" pedal and the issue disappeared.... now this was with an iRig Blueboard (just using it out of convenience at this stage more than anything else, so it may be JUST an iRig issue)...I have not yet tested the same when blueboard is in BLE mode....Maybe the issue could be some sort of ohm mismatch between the pedal you are using and the Exp to USB ( I think it may be the same one I use, and to date I have had no problems with it)...fwiw using that (Exp to USB and pedal), and AUM didn't seem to create any issues but I did not test specifically for that. Give me a few hours (back to work here soon) and tomorrow morning (my time - early) I'll run a couple of tests using Camelot.

It would be interesting to know what VSTi you were running at the time?

Ive found some videos of Camelot Pro on iOS. I understand it takes MIDI input from hardware, routes MIDI messages to hardware, allows creation of splits and layers, can send and receive patch change data. Can someone clarify for me that if an iOS developer has written their audio instrument as an AUv3 on iOS that Camelot Pro can actually host it? Like a plugin we see in MainStage? Or does it launch the app stand alone and establish audio+midi connections like we see with AudioBus or MIDIFlow etc. on iOS? They say they can't host AUv3 FX yet. Does that continue to be true? I'm just trying to understand how far we are away yet from having MainStage for iOS.

Thanks!

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The unit I was using was a BeatBars (?) pedal-to-usb. The pedal was a Yammi fc7. Going into my IMac/LogicPro. Tried several pedals, and they worked fine in my Nord and would not pass along sporadic data that would show in Logic"s MIDI monitor. But......use any pedal with that BeatBars thingy and you get a steady stream of data, even when the pedal itself was idle.

I too have a PX5s, and I wanted expresssion pedal input to use mostly in conjunction with Omnisphere. Not so much for organ because I would use the Nord keys for that.

Thanks for your help - take your time, no big emergency.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Ive found some videos of Camelot Pro on iOS. I understand it takes MIDI input from hardware, routes MIDI messages to hardware, allows creation of splits and layers, can send and receive patch change data. Can someone clarify for me that if an iOS developer has written their audio instrument as an AUv3 on iOS that Camelot Pro can actually host it? Like a plugin we see in MainStage? Or does it launch the app stand alone and establish audio+midi connections like we see with AudioBus or MIDIFlow etc. on iOS? They say they can't host AUv3 FX yet. Does that continue to be true? I'm just trying to understand how far we are away yet from having MainStage for iOS.

Thanks!

Elmer, Camelot can host auv3 apps, just like a plugin - no stand alone apps. I am NOT spruiking here, as I am still not convinced enough to fully replace AUM with Camelot, but I'll include here a list of the upgrades and new additions to V2...I have not had time to test everything yet, but so far what I have has been ok.

TIMELINE & AUTOMATIONS

Audio Backing Tracks with Audio Card Channel Selection

Automations (Scene Auto Select, Auto-Play, Auto-Stop and Next Song Auto-Load)

Markers

GUI & UX

General Improvements and Restyling

New Scene Edit View with Drag&Drop

Improved Global Menu navigation and categories

Song management improved with more options when moving or duplicating a Song across multiple Setlists

Improved Backup Management with Internal Snapshots and Backup to file

MASTER AUDIO FX

Added Master Audio FX Section (Compressor, EQ, Delay and Reverb)

Mixer Panel with Group Levels and Audio Channels assignments

ITEMS

Audio FX Plug-Ins Insert on each Layer

MIDI Processors Plugin-Ins on each Layer

Layer Connectors: special item routing MIDI to any Layer

Drag&Drop Items reordering on edit mode

LAYERS

Templates

Selectable Layer Audio Output

Drag&Drop Layer reordering on edit mode

Song & Setlist Rack Override

MIDI Monitor mode on each Layer

SCENES

Dedicated Scene Level on Mixer Panel

SONGS

Dedicated Song Level on Mixer Panel

Possibility to Export & Import Songs

Per-Song Transpose

SETLISTS

Possibility to Export & Import Setlists

Improved managing of Setlists and Songs

Per-Setlist Transpose

EXTERNAL DEVICES (version 2.7)

Possibility to manage multiple Devices of same model with Smart Maps

Custom CC Dictionary for Factory Maps

Snapshots for Factory Maps

Advanced Settings

NEW Smart Maps: Kurzweil SP6, Kurzweil Artis, Line 6 Helix, Line 6 HX Effects, Line 6 HX Stomp, Line 6 POD Go, Roland RD88.

ATTACHMENTS

Introduced Layout modes: One Page / Two Pages

Introduced Pagination modes: Single Page / Continuous

Introduced Page navigation and Zoom reset

REMOTE CONTROLS

Improved mapping possibilities (i.e. Layers, Items, Backing Tracks Levels)

SETTINGS

Up to 16 Virtual MIDI Inputs and Virtual Midi Outputs (macOS & iOS)

CPU Allocation and Priority for Multicore Systems

Backup & Restore: introduced Snapshots, improved Backups

and here is the full list of currently supported instruments https://camelotpro.com/hardware-instruments/

The unit I was using was a BeatBars (?) pedal-to-usb. The pedal was a Yammi fc7. Going into my IMac/LogicPro. Tried several pedals, and they worked fine in my Nord and would not pass along sporadic data that would show in Logic"s MIDI monitor. But......use any pedal with that BeatBars thingy and you get a steady stream of data, even when the pedal itself was idle.

I too have a PX5s, and I wanted expresssion pedal input to use mostly in conjunction with Omnisphere. Not so much for organ because I would use the Nord keys for that.

Thanks for your help - take your time, no big emergency.

Ahh, ok - the device I use is https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php and it's the single one. Works perfectly.

• 1 month later...