Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Does "Quite Some Time" Mean to YouTube Music?

I loved Google play. I used it all the time for uploading music in production, linking my smartphone to various devices via Bluetooth, and listening to files.

Then YouTube terminated Google Play with extreme prejudice, as they say in the spy movies. I was very happy that I could transfer all my Google Play files over. Great!!

So last night I uploaded a song to the YouTube Music Library. It shows up on my desktop, but not online. YouTube music says it can take "quite some time" for songs to show up in the online libraries, but it seems there's a problem if it takes over 24 hours...assuming it does show up. Maybe "quite some time" means a week...or maybe it means that if you're not a subscriber, you have a seat in the fourth class section of the train, next to the goat transport car.

Eventually, I was able to get the song into my iPhone via iTunes, but don't get me started on that. With Android, I hooked up to the computer with USB, and dragged files over to a folder called "Music." Now, who's NOT going to figure out how that works? Apparently Apple would much rather store my music on the cloud, and have me pay them for the privilege. Fair enough, it's their cloud, and I get that companies need to make money...who doesn't? But Samsung seems to be doing okay, and my phone has a replaceable battery, with a slot for putting a 128 GB memory card where I can store a ton of files if I don't want to deal with what seems to be YouTube music hassles, or pretend that the current Mac ecosystem is easy to use.

I still have a Minidisc player...I might get the last laugh :)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been an Apple guy since I was a teenager, but man, the way they've been gatekeeping music the last few years really rubs me the wrong way (I'd love to just play the music I purchased through Bandcamp on my phone, but I can't even BUY it through my phone, much less download it). The cloud is great for what it does, but I'm not a fan of subscription services where the service itself is viewed as the product, rather than the blood, sweat, and tears of the creative work that makes up the content (here's looking at you, Spotify). A friend and coworker of mine, a programmer, was a diehard Apple user who switched to an Android phone basically out of spite. He's dead now.

(No, seriously, he did die, for reasons completely unrelated to his choice of smartphone, but he had a dark sense of humor and really would have appreciated the joke there. Forgive me.)

But poor YouTube. One more sad attempt to get anybody to pay for their premium service. Sorry, Google, but we all started using it before there were any ads, and videos capped at 10 minutes. Nobody wants to pay you money to remove the ads that we didn't need to be there in the first place. :roll:

I'm not sure if I've really responded directly to what you're dealing with, Craig, but I was certainly ready to get up on my soapbox and whine this morning! May your Minidisc player live a long and productive life.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

My somewhat skewed take on this is since these huge internet commerce stocks have gone through the roof, if you've owned any shares in a mutual fund, individual account or whatever look at how much you've made on them and then don't feel so bad about giving some of it back for these "services". Yeah, I know...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

If YouTube music had done what it said it would do, I would be a subscriber by now, and I'd be exploring their music offerings as well. But since it won't do the one thing I want it for, I'm converting an old Android phone into what's basically an iPod, researching streaming sites, and then I'll get my music from the site that's best for music. Maybe that will be YouTube Music, but if it isn't, they lost an easy chance to capture me in their orbit.

I tend to be skeptical of companies that remove features and options over time, while simultaneously degrading performance...it doesn't give me confidence for the future.

It appears that Google made a business decision on YT music/Google Play.

Or ran into a costly brick wall.

Thus, they leave subscribers, customers twisting in the wind. Prior promises

are old marketing pronouncements.

Its all about the money. 99.5% of the time.

These co's have budgets and the been counters assert their role.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

These co's have budgets and the been counters assert their role.

I'm not necessarily against that. Sometimes companies have an unanticipated level of success for which they weren't prepared.

If they had said $1.99 would buy me 100 GB of space for a personal music library but no other services, that would have been fine with me and I would have signed up. Basically that's what Apple does by selling you iCloud space for music, but I prefer not to get further entangled in the Apple ecosystem. I just want someplace online from which I can stream music while not connected to wi-fi, which Google Play did extremely well. I never did understand how they could offer it for free, so if they wanted to charge for it, that would have been fine.

I used to be a major supporter of the Apple music app. Didn't buy a lot from iTunes because I got better deals buying from Amazon. Then I subscribed to Apple music. Great at home on my network. Awful when out hiking and trying to listen to anything with spotty data connection. Even tracks that were downloaded didn't want to play. They have done such a horrible job of combining ripped/purchased music with tracks from Apple music. Can Google really be any worse? I have the limited Google music that comes with my YouTube subscription that allows me to watch content without commercials, but I never use it.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

9 days later, it's still not there. I wonder if the way YouTube Music works is you have to upload songs that already exist in the real world that YouTube has on its server, and it matches your upload to something they already have, when then goes in "your" library?