Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New(?) Vocoder Option: Arturia MicroFreak Vocoder Edition

https://www.arturia.com/products/hardware-synths/microfreak-vocoder/overview

I'm not entirely clear on whether this is a tweak or a full expansion of capabilities vs. the original model, but certainly there is at the least a firmware update for all MicroFreaks and this new edition is easier-on-the-eyes due to being white (as many of us work in dim lighting or in the dark). The gooseneck microphone is new to this edition as well.

The individual sound demos did not impress me, but the duo demos in the video did.

I almost bought one of the original ones during a sale, but decided I didn't need it. This new vocoder edition may give me more reason to stop hesitating on trying one out for myself. I've always liked that it supports polyphonic aftertouch.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of the older uFreaks, and I absolutely love it. I've done more programming on that synth lately than anything else in my studio, including the modular stuff. Apparently, downloading the new firmware unlocks the vocoder function, which is quite cool. I wonder if the gooseneck mic is available as an accessory?

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

The most important advice I can give on the MicroFreak in only one line of text is to immediately delete ALL of the onboard sounds and start from scratch. Most uniformly awful factory set I have heard in at least a decade.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music