Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using Earbuds (not about wireless)

Most people I see using these earpods, on the many recent shelter at home interviews, etc. have them in ear with stock facing down. Even THIS ARTICLE, where I got pic from shows a diagram with stocks facing down.

How do you wear your Earpods? I always put them in my ears with stock facing sideways (like an arrow has been shot in my ear.) I realized years ago the bass response is much better. Am I missing something?

EarPods-pro-tips.jpg

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never liked earpods, first they fall out too easy and second and most important they sound artificial over hyped bass and scooped mid's. I have a pair of cheap sports earbuds that I use at the gym (back when gyms were still open). Sports model I have has the over the ear loop and a wire band the connects the two earbuds so if one falls out it just drops to my shoulder. Being I use them in the gym or out walking for exercise they are just background to block some of the outside world so sound quality isn't important.

If everyone can hold their thoughts about "earbuds," and imagine the very best wired or wireless ear speakers being stuck in your ear. They all seem to have stocks, so do you see a difference if stock is facing down or horizontal for bass response?

BTW, we all have tons of bacteria all over our bodies. I've never gotten an ear infection from wearing ear plugs. I personally have always stayed away from anti-bacterial products (I have been using it when stores supply it at entrances during Covid19.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

People are putting them into their ears that way because that's how they're supposed to go. Assuming you have ear canals shaped like other peoples', I can't imagine how it would be comfortable (and stay in) any other way. Plus, if the stalk is pointing outwards, that means that the "speaker" is pointed towards the flesh of the ear rather than into the ear canal, which would muffle the sound.

I tried ear buds, but found them irritating at times...I use over-ear bluetooth headphones, much better!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I can never get earpods to stay snug enough. Although it wouldn't work for every situation I like the iGrado's. Very decent sound. If you want to hear some of what's going on around you they're open backed. Of course if you want to black out your surroundings they're not good for that. Edit: I just checked & they are discontinued now so if they appeal to you then snap up any you can find.

People are putting them into their ears that way because that's how they're supposed to go. Assuming you have ear canals shaped like other peoples', I can't imagine how it would be comfortable (and stay in) any other way. Plus, if the stalk is pointing outwards, that means that the "speaker" is pointed towards the flesh of the ear rather than into the ear canal, which would muffle the sound.

Thanks, your answer was what I was interested in. I can use them either way, but like I said, I like the big sound when they are horizontal.

The negative responses to buds in general is interesting. I must assume you use them with your phone a lot. I mostly use earbuds with my iTouch. I've been going out in the morning to a scenic spot and get my jazz listening quota. BTW they stay in my ears but I do have to move them around to find sweet spot.

If given the choice I prefer to listen in the open air - for leisure, for study and for mixing. If I need privacy a comfortable pair of SHURE or AKG headphones. Buds are good for travel cause they"re so small and if they work for you, exercise.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

They will not stay in my ears. The smallest I can use are those clip over the the type. Recently I picked up a set of regular Bluetooth headphones. I have trouble getting used to them because of the Bluetooth frequency limit that kills the very high end.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Yes, I believe there is a difference, and it seems to make sense to me that there should be.

So most people I see with stock facing down, want less bass response?

I have no idea what most peeople do or want in this area, tbh. All I'm saying is that they sound different if their position is rotated. I'm not sure that everyone has the same shape ear canals as everyone else, or that everyone hears (or wants to hear) the same thing.

At the end of the day, I think the average person's frame of reference when it comes to audio is based more on ease than correctness. I do not believe the average person has much idea of what "correctly" balanced audio is...and why should they? When and where is the average person taught to listen to/evaluate audio?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I"ve never been able to use any iteration of Apple EarPods. Hang"em, screw 'em in, wires/antennas down, wrap over ears, they simply don"t fit.

Same here. Especially with my right ear. They don't even come close to staying in, even if I stand still they pop out too far to get any bass.

I got some cheaper ones from Amazon with more standard earbuds, great reviews--they mostly work fine, but for whatever reason sometimes the left one connects and disconnects. Not all that huge a deal as I mainly use them for listening to audiobooks when I walk/run. :) Stupid apple and getting rid of the headphone jack, but I got the dongle thingie and can also use my nice former in-ear monitors (or my current custom ones as I'm not gigging actually.)

I never liked ear buds, all the way back to the original iPhone headsets; way too uncomfortable. For working out, etc. I always preferred the Beats X and later the Power Beats Pro in-ear wireless sets. Better bass response, and with a good ear seal can listen at lower volumes. For more critical listening, my Sony headphones. The only time I ever use the (wired) ear buds are for phone calls.

I picked up a few pair of these Philips at a closeout store a few years ago and think they"re really comfortable with pretty decent audio quality.

I"m pretty clumsy and invariably wind up damaging or losing them after about six months. So at $13-20 a set I don"t feel so bad.

I use them much more than the Apple buds or my WiFi buds.

C28F4C9C-7A46-4601-849C-09108AF17D10.jpeg

1348.jpg.c4e5de3e6b37bd7b5309e7581397e498.jpg

If given the choice I prefer to listen in the open air - for leisure, for study and for mixing. If I need privacy a comfortable pair of SHURE or AKG headphones. Buds are good for travel cause they"re so small and if they work for you, exercise.

the quality earbuds are expensive:

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundSport-Ear-Headphones-741776-0070/dp/B07V3QFCP1/ref=asc_df_B07V3QFCP1/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385546071587&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=918054478921358729&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051835&hvtargid=pla-844317911949&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78881076375&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385546071587&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=918054478921358729&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9051835&hvtargid=pla-844317911949

The Bose SoundSport solves the problems of the ' stock ' [ cheap ] ear buds.

Walmart cleared this model last winter, for $40. it pays to be a shopper if you like quality.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

The instructions as well as patent images for the EarPods indicate "stalk down" was the intended fit of the original wired version. This makes sense given the general anatomy of most person's ear canals. The same design assumptions were used when the wires were "cut" for the AirPods.

For me, EarPods and AirPods will not sit in my ears with the "arrow shot" perpendicular orientation the OP is describing. I think one would need to be blessed with exactly the right size ears and ear canals to pull that off.

For all in-ear devices, the seal with the opening of the ear canal is crucial to bass response (and also key to keeping the things in your ears in the first place, for most units). Thus, a hard plastic shape will hardly be "one size fits all", and why by design there is going to be more people dissatisfied than delighted with a hard plastic one size. Especially so with discriminating users (e.g., musicians).

I'm a fan of Comply foam tips, especially for my wireless IEM of choice, the Jabra 75t Elite.

Not a fan of the AirPods. Own them, tried to like them, don't use them ever these days.

So after I left I headed over to YourTube and look at what Unbox Therapy has a video on today, earbuds and how germ infested they are and a ultraviolet light cleaner.

I bought a second hand pair Sure E215's off ebay and I asked a doctor friend if there was the possibility of me catching anything off second hand earbuds. He laughed at me for a solid 10 minutes and said no. Unless I had a cut in my ear when I put them in.