Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KORG Wall Wart (worth fixing?)

I replaced this power supply the other day to my Korg keyboard with a new one. I was wondering if it would be difficult to fix the old one to maybe have a backup. I held it together with duct tape but after a while it would still come apart and disconnect the power.

maybe I should just trash it...? I'm not really an electrical person but thought if the fix was simple it might be worth it to have an extra around in case the new one breaks later.

L17bcTT

1342.thumb.jpg.5f2ccf74687ab5983cb6b0d2a740adb8.jpg

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also, sorry I can't figure out how to post a picture on this forum.

click on the blue buton labeled "Use Full Editor"

once that pops up at the bottom left of the page click on the hyperlink labeled "Attachment Manager"

once that pops up just drag and drop your photos

:nopity:

also, sorry I can't figure out how to post a picture on this forum.

click on the blue buton labeled "Use Full Editor"

once that pops up at the bottom left of the page click on the hyperlink labeled "Attachment Manager"

once that pops up just drag and drop your photos

thanks for that tip!

If that's the problem, I'd epoxy the plug part into the wall wart.

I've had great luck using something like 'shoe goo' for a lot of repairs. Either way, I'd suggest clamping for 24 hours for the best result.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

If that's the problem, I'd epoxy the plug part into the wall wart.

I've had great luck using something like 'shoe goo' for a lot of repairs. Either way, I'd suggest clamping for 24 hours for the best result.

Yes, i can duct tape it back together but eventually gravity does it's thing and it pulls apart just slightly enough for the connection to go out.

That's a good suggestion though. maybe if I can super glue (or similar) it back together i can save the new wall wart for gigs (assuming they happen again).

if I can super glue (or similar) it back together i can save the new wall wart for gigs (assuming they happen again).

Super glue does not work well for this type of repair. You need something that will fill the gap. Gorilla glue is a great choice, but again, clamp the repair for 24 hours for best result.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Write down the specs - voltage, AC or DC and take the power supply with you to match the connector.

Go to Goodwill, Starvation Army, Value Village, etc.

They charge about $2-4 bucks for a power supply and have dozens of them. Most of them do not come apart like that.

Buy 2 or 3 of them and forget about it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Write down the specs - voltage, AC or DC and take the power supply with you to match the connector.

They charge about $2-4 bucks for a power supply and have dozens of them. Most of them do not come apart like that.

this sounds like a really good idea. there is a place called RE PC in seattle that has tons of these wall warts. I will check out the stores you mentioned too.

this sounds like a really good idea. there is a place called RE PC in seattle that has tons of these wall warts. I will check out the stores you mentioned too.

I'm in Bellingham, I've been to RE PC, it's awesome. You will find something easliy. Companies just order power supplies with their names printed on them, they are mostly similar and mostly work.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I miss the days when we could just run down to Radio Shack for things like this...

I miss the days when enough people knew what they were doing to run TO a Radio Shack. That base is long gone. Hardore proprietary ICs, draconian user policies and the like have made self-repair seem quaint at best. That and ordering from the Net strangled them. I'm glad they were there in the Dark Ages when I needed to make my own dubious audio adaptors.

In my experience, its extremely wise at the time of purchase to buy or maybe negotiate for an added power supply, maybe two. Some companies will buy a large lot of lower-end versions for end-of-line products or cheapo baby synths. Its a real c*ck-block to have that one unique power supply die @ showtime. KuruPrionz is right about seeking out spares with foresight, but it still makes me feel like a skel to scavenge for them like that! :/ Synth-love is a phase-locked loop of OCDs.

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"