Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hey ya�ll

I am another Harmony Central ex-pat. Dave invited me to join the party and talk gear. My first truth is I had to emotionally distance myself from what we were allowed to do for the last 10 years in that forum, but short of my daughters there is nothing that brings me greater pleasure than guitar, bass, and keyboard gear. I appreciate your anticipated warm welcome I can"t wait to waste hours every day arguing over things the crowd will never hear.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome Chris,

We seem to get along very well here, even when covering topics involving strong preferences.

We are on the same page with you, we LOVE guitars. Some of us love different guitars than others do but that just makes it more interesting.

Take a look around and we look forward to your contributions. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Welcome aboard Chris! We are down to a small group of forum posters these days as most of the crowd has left us with the advent of Facebook. Looking forward to hearing about your guitar, bass and keyboard gear, and any other topics of interest. :thu:
Take care, Larryz

Because I come from the dirty world of Marketing (for music, I promise!), I would argue that a small but fervent group of people is more valuable than a flash in the pan influencer. Once upon a time, I was providing content to Craig Anderton for a book about effects. While things got weird with HC and derailed that, I felt every day that I had no business providing Craig F"ing Anderton content about effects, and learned a valuable lesson from him he was wise enough to not be explicit about... it is passion and energy that drives us, and it is passion and energy that creates momentum. I may never know enough about technology to eclipse CA, but he had the sageness to know before I did that he was grooming a new generation, warts and all, to carry on the torch.

Today, I plugged in a Keeley Synth-1 and annoyed my children as I recreated some of my favorite prog songs I had no business butchering. It was glorious, and the non-teens danced.

As a teenager, I remember being overly self conscious and when my dad bought me my first software. There was a glissando that"s felt so smooth I put my headphones on and pretended I was Keith Emerson for 15 minutes. When I turned around, I saw my dad smiling, which I took as mockery at that fragile age and stormed away embarrassed. It took years for me to realize and tell my dad how my own self-consciousness had eclipsed the fact that he was expressing pride in my enthusiasm for music.

I share this because I want my introduction to this site to be one of passion and vulnerability, the keys to art and the antithesis of the rockstar image. Every piece of gear I choose fills me with unbridled joy and gives me insight into the potential of me. We are blessed and I look forward to being a part of a group that shares my belief that gear makes us better and unlocks and inspires.

Because I come from the dirty world of Marketing (for music, I promise!), I would argue that a small but fervent group of people is more valuable than a flash in the pan influencer. Once upon a time, I was providing content to Craig Anderton for a book about effects. While things got weird with HC and derailed that, I felt every day that I had no business providing Craig F"ing Anderton content about effects, and learned a valuable lesson from him he was wise enough to not be explicit about... it is passion and energy that drives us, and it is passion and energy that creates momentum. I may never know enough about technology to eclipse CA, but he had the sageness to know before I did that he was grooming a new generation, warts and all, to carry on the torch.

Today, I plugged in a Keeley Synth-1 and annoyed my children as I recreated some of my favorite prog songs I had no business butchering. It was glorious, and the non-teens danced.

As a teenager, I remember being overly self conscious and when my dad bought me my first software. There was a glissando that"s felt so smooth I put my headphones on and pretended I was Keith Emerson for 15 minutes. When I turned around, I saw my dad smiling, which I took as mockery at that fragile age and stormed away embarrassed. It took years for me to realize and tell my dad how my own self-consciousness had eclipsed the fact that he was expressing pride in my enthusiasm for music.

I share this because I want my introduction to this site to be one of passion and vulnerability, the keys to art and the antithesis of the rockstar image. Every piece of gear I choose fills me with unbridled joy and gives me insight into the potential of me. We are blessed and I look forward to being a part of a group that shares my belief that gear makes us better and unlocks and inspires.

Great stuff Chris, I am with you. Learning all the time, willing to admit my mistakes and reassess my positions.

I don't fear uncharted territory and I hugely prefer if my gear is intuitive in a live situation.

There will always be a contrast - the joy of playing my Boss Katana programmed the way I want it vs picking up the requinto I found at Goodwill for $15 that makes me smile every time I play it.

I love technology until it makes my brain hurt, then give me an old beater with a badly warped neck and a jar of some sort for a slide and I'll get something out of that too.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

We have all kinds here. I"m just a noodler with a taste for gear who long ago passed the road signs for 'You have enough!'

(Honestly, blew right past them like I had a Bugatti and a military grade radar system...)

I can relate to the headphones thing, too, somewhat. My primary musical outlet is voice. One day, I was waiting for my suitemate to come by with his GF so we could all go to dinner, and I decided to sing along with some of my favorite tunes with my headphones on and cranked. I had just finished Deep Purple"s 'Child in Time' when I heard applause behind me- my friends had arrived early and were standing there, listening. (I was embarrassed because of my introversion.)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I have too many guitars even after selling a few and giving a couple away to family members. So, I am trying to not acquire anymore guitars, amps, PAs, pedals, etc. LOL! New gear does tend to inspire us and it's always fun to hear when one of our members acquires a new axe and/or amp...I get to live through their latest acquisition(s). I would have no problem selling a few guitars, but I like them more than I need any money and still enjoy playing each and every one left in their cases and bringing them out now and then. I have my favorites but I have been trying to take the rest out of moth balls and let them inspire me again and again! The main concept for me, is to have fun. I'm more of a singer using the guitar as my back up band... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I have too many guitars even after selling a few and giving a couple away to family members. So, I am trying to not acquire anymore guitars, amps, PAs, pedals, etc. LOL! New gear does tend to inspire us and it's always fun to hear when one of our members acquires a new axe and/or amp...I get to live through their latest acquisition(s). I would have no problem selling a few guitars, but I like them more than I need any money and still enjoy playing each and every one left in their cases and bringing them out now and then. I have my favorites but I have been trying to take the rest out of moth balls and let them inspire me again and again! The main concept for me, is to have fun. I'm more of a singer using the guitar as my back up band... :cool:

+1 Larryz. I am about done doing the new gear thing. I have 3 guitars and two amps. That is my gear till I am done or one of them breaks. I think at one time I had about 6 or more electric guitars which I used every one every 6th (or more) day.

I play guitar using the BB King motto. If Lucille is singing, I don't sing, if I am singing, Lucille don't sing. And by the way I spent a lot of time making backing tracks. I have 3 + full 45 minute sets, and I practice one a day and rotate them very third day. So I don't have to play rhythm guitar to my singing, I already did that when I recorded my BT's.

gave away $3k of guitars this month to friends and family. I certainly could have used the money, but the feeling was way better to pay it forward and I imagined how I would have felt a certain age to have been given a real Guitar. Now, I only have guitars I play, and I know I have put tools out into the world and might have inspired a few people. Easy to sleep at night!

gave away $3k of guitars this month to friends and family. I certainly could have used the money, but the feeling was way better to pay it forward and I imagined how I would have felt a certain age to have been given a real Guitar. Now, I only have guitars I play, and I know I have put tools out into the world and might have inspired a few people. Easy to sleep at night!

Excellent amigo

I've given away 4 acoustics and a ukulele. Once the covid scare is over and schools get back to normal I plan to give a bass+amp and electric guitar+amp to my old high school band and tell them to start a jazz band. In a few years when I move to an apartment the school will also get my huge DW drum set. By huge I mean 14 drums. It is black and white mix and can be broken up into two complete sets.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I was thinking about that. A few years ago. my oldest was considering a non-traditional middle school and I pitched them (because it's all about what you'll contribute) on being a music teacher. When their question of "What sort of curriculum would you want and what songs?" I immediately replied, "The students get to decide that". Even for a progressive school they were taken aback. After the initial shock, they offered me a full-time gig, which I had to pass on because *gestures to mortgage*. Those who seek traditional education for the arts will find it, and for many (most?), it's creating the unstructured space to say "What do you want to accomplish and I will build structure around that" that I believe is the most conducive to growing a creative person.

Hi Chris

Welcome. Ironically I was just chatting online with a former member

who was also around back in the day. This forum was an insane asylum and was only

partly connected to music, let alone guitar. This is the version we have now. It's a lot more focused and

the people are very kool. I hope you'll hang out.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• 2 weeks later...