Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What�s the one (or two) piece of gear..

... That you have lusted over for years but never pulled the trigger on?

For me, it has been the Frostwave since 2000 and am Analogman Sunlion.

Both are way beyond my price range in the early 00"s and I knew I was going to use them in a prominent for for music.

That said, finally pulled the trigger on a low-gain Sunlion after 20 years.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave my review unit of the H9 to my dad to review. I always wondered about that one, but jeez... it"s my dad. Dude put up with me for 18+ years, least I could do was hook him up with something that brought him happiness.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/effects/eventide-h9-max-guitar-multieffects-r386/

I will just go with current gear lust since my evolution as a guitarist has changed what I lust for.

1) A Warmoth Strat neck. Super wide 1 7/8ths at the nut, quartersawn maple, Fatback contour with 2 steel bars inlaid into the neck instead of an adjustable truss rod (a non-adjustable guitar does not need adjustment).

Flat (no raduis) black ebony fretbard with no top inlays, pearl side inlays, 25.5" scale fret slots and no fretwire. I have All Parts fretwire that is almost twice as tall as Jascar Super Jumbo so I won't need to scallop the fretboard.

No finish, I will do that.

2) Warmoth chambered Strat body with bookmatched figured walnut top and quartersawn Western Maple back, top routed for EMG Tele pickup set (no middle pickup), standard jack in standard location, back routed electronics cavity but no control holes drilled and drilled for studs for a wraparound bridge/tailpiece like a vintage Les Paul Jr. or Melody Maker. No finish, I will do that.

That will be my dream guitar, at least once I put all the cool stuff on it.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Godins, Godins, Godinsâ¦. Flat Five, Session, LGXTSA, A5, Passion... One day I'll find an irresistible deal on one or more of these.

Rickenbacker bass - one of the few 4 string basses I still want (though their latest run DOES have a great 5 string)

And ultimately, a Gibson Les Paul - the sound that first inspired me to start playing; yet I've never managed to buy one.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

12-string electric.

dB

Yesss!!!!

I have a 12 string project in the works. Of the electric 12 strings, my favorite neck is the Ovation from back when they made the Preacher and Deacon. I owned a Deacon 12 string in excellent condition, very collectable. But the pickups are not "chimey", very mid forward and thick sounding. I sold it but I found another neck and got a Preacher locally for cheap. Will be putting a Gotoh 12 string bridge on it - full intonation and action for all 12 strings. And chimey pickups.

AND alternating black and silver tuners so it's easy to know which one you are tuning (my idea as far as I know).

The Danelectro 12 strings are nice, they have the Gotoh bridge and chimey pickups. Plus they look cool. Another option would be to pick up a string through Strat, put a Warmoth 12 string neck and a Gotoh bridge on it, that would be a really nice guitar. I can't play the Rickenbackers, I have huge hands and the necks are too slender.

A double neck electric guitar, most likely an Epiphone. I wanted one of those before I even learned how to play a guitar. Now, if the stock market gods decide to give me a few more weeks like last week, I would contact Jeff Kiesel at Kiesel Guitars and have him build me a custom 12 and 6 string electric like the old Carvin DN612 with either a curly koa or highly figured claro walnut top.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Jupiter 8. Couldn"t afford one new. ... It got worse in the used market.

Have you seen the Jupiter X? I had an original JP8 for years, and I'm loving my new X...

dB

I"ve seen it online on YouTube but not in the flesh. It looks the part. If you like it that is a heck of an endorsement.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

It's pretty great. Not just a Jupiter 8 - got JP8, JX8P, Juno 106 and SH101 engines in there, along with XV5080 and RD piano engines. You can stack up to four of those (yes, you can use two JP8s!)...and then there's all the drum machine sounds controlled by a really cool playback algorithm that follows your tempo and playing intensity. There's more too, including a really powerfu USB interface.

Besides that, it's my kind of good time - big ol' heavy power synth with a great feeling keybed. The $2499 price tag is pretty reasonable as well.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Godins, Godins, Godinsâ¦. Flat Five, Session, LGXTSA, A5, Passion... One day I'll find an irresistible deal on one or more of these.

Godins are nice! I have a Triumph and a Richmond Belmont, and wnt some more. I"d love to have another Belmont, plus a SA, an Icon Type 3, maybe a Session.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Another for me is a Telecaster. I had one back in the early 80's but never kept it very long. Didn't know how to tame that twangy single coil sound and was mostly playing keys and drums at the time. Now I am thinking about getting a cheap Tele, maybe a Squire Afinity, and doing my own mods. Solderless wiring harness, new pickups, and locking tuners. Would be a nice, cheap way to learn about guitar mods.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Another for me is a Telecaster. I had one back in the early 80's but never kept it very long. Didn't know how to tame that twangy single coil sound and was mostly playing keys and drums at the time. Now I am thinking about getting a cheap Tele, maybe a Squire Afinity, and doing my own mods. Solderless wiring harness, new pickups, and locking tuners. Would be a nice, cheap way to learn about guitar mods.

Get a Vintera...

Do it...I love my Tele.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Some of the Vinteras are the old Baja Teles with a $100 price increase. I have a 50s Baja. They are great. Decent woods made in Mexico with Custom Shop electronics. If you cant spend that much the Squire Classic Vibes are great for the cost.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I rrreeeaallly WANT a 65 Amps Empire head, or maybe a 65 Amps Producer EL; both are brilliant, even unique designs that use unusual, proprietary circuitry.

The Empire is a three-channel Marshall-voiced amp that uses a duet of 6V6's, tricked-out to sound and feel like EL34's, at 22 watts- PLUS a proprietary "Master Voltage" scheme that reduces voltage and overall volume without necessitating any changes to the tone controls to readjust when the Master Voltage is rolled-back.

The Producer EL is a dual-channel amp that uses a duet of EL34's along with that proprietary Master Voltage scheme- but the Producer line of amps is set apart as unique among guitar tube-amps by a low-voltage/high-current design that requires proprietary transformers. Tubes last much longer, particularly recent production tubes- usually notoriously shorter-lived than tubes made decades ago- and an outstanding clean-voice from the pair of EL34's is an added bonus.

I'm also VERY interested in the more recently released Dr. Z Z Wreck and Z Wreck Jr., both based on collaborations between the good Doctor Z and Ken Fischer of Trainwreck fame. These amps would rrreeeaally suit my "play the amp" and "touch" approach. I think that a Z Wreck is what my beloved Carvin Vintage 33 wanted to be when it grew up.

:crazy: I've also never owned a Telecaster, even though that was the first guitar type that I fell in love with! My first halfway-decent electric guitar was a Peavey T-15, somewhat Tele-like. Then a "Super-Strat", then a couple of Les Pauls... I really do need to get a good Tele sometime... !

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

:crazy: I've also never owned a Telecaster, even though that was the first guitar type that I fell in love with! My first halfway-decent electric guitar was a Peavey T-15, somewhat Tele-like. Then a "Super-Strat", then a couple of Les Pauls... I really do need to get a good Tele sometime... !

Exactly what I've been thinking for the last month or so. So much good tone embodied in such a simple premise. I've found myself looking at a lot of Squier Teles lately, testing the waters.

Scott Fraser

Don"t overlook the Teleclones, though. There"s a number of guitars out there that will get you that Tele sound but have other things going for them- aesthetically and functionally.

For instance, the (discontinued) Parker P-36 features the iconic Parker aesthetics and ergonomics paired with telecaster style wiring and pickups...PLUS a piezo system.

https://reverb.com/item/33624601-parker-p-36-red

https://reverb.com/item/723267-parker-p-36-natural-telecaster-style-with-fishman-piezo

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

One of the joys of screwdiriver guitars like a Tele is that you can start with a Squier and slowly replace everything with premium parts as budget allows. When you get to the last piece (usually the body), you can put the old guitar back together and either keep it or sell it. And you will own a custom Franken-Tele with all of your preferred tweaks.

I've done that a couple of times now, it does work well.

1372.thumb.jpg.d5d72f8dfb2e0ac8e7e67d60679423f6.jpg