Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I found a way to run VST plugins in Mainstage

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but for whatever reason I'm not seeing any previous posts about it.

I recently bought Mainstage to go with my new laptop (16" Macbook Pro, 2.4gHz i9, 32GB memory, 8GB video memory). I happen to like the Spitfire LABS virtual instrument, but it's VST only, so Mainstage can't use it since it expects AU format plugins only. I tried to find a standalone VST host for MacOS, but amazingly enough, while there are a number for Windows, there's virtually nothing for MacOS (aside from Gig Performer, which is way more than I need and want to spend, and DAWs). After digging around for a while today, I found this guy: Element by Kushview. It's actually intended as a way to make any plugin "standalone" without excess capabilities, though it seems to have a lot of options should you want them. Cost is currently only USD $2. It's a VST host that uses a node interface to connect instruments to fx to outputs etc. I bought it just to test and see if some of my plugins were working (I had a library corruption problem with LABS for some reason and didn't want to keep reloading Cubase). Turns out, it ALSO has VST, VST3, and AU plugin versions that come with it. Sure enough, you can open it as a plugin in Mainstage, and then load your VST instrument or effect plugin in. Make sure that the midi input node you use is the one that says "no device". That's what Mainstage is sending to, and otherwise it won't work.

Here's a screenshot:

Mainstage-VST-Element-Host.jpg

Admittedly I'm just a novice at Mainstage right now, but it seems to work without any issues. I think this might also work in Logic (Final Cut Pro X too?), since both Logic and Mainstage are AU-only and made by Apple. I don't have Logic though so I can't test it.

• Like 1

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Like I said, Spitfire's LABS, which has a lot of interesting (and some useful) sounds, is not available in AU for whatever reason. Also I have a number of FX plugins that only have VST or VST3 versions, even if those work with MacOS.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Not sure when you downloaded Spitfire LABS, but it includes VST2, VST3, AAX and AU versions, and is designed to work in any DAW in Mac or PC. I've used it within Logic Pro and MainStage without going through anything other than loading it as AU instrument. Sorry if I misunderstand the problem you are describing, though!

I installed LABS last week, and there was no AU component. However, yesterday I did a complete reinstall as there were issues with libraries constantly needing repair. This morning there is now a LABS AU plugin in my directory. Maybe that was something that was missing in the first install that had so many issues. It's odd. Either way, I guess Element"s there if I need it.

"'Either way, I guess it's there if I need it."

That's the version you should be using â not the VST version via some backdoor workaround. If the VST version works that way, that's great, but why make it more difficult on yourself if you don't need to? Plus, if you every have any issues, it'll be more difficult for anyone to figure out.

Sorry, I was referring to Element.

• 1 year later...
On 8/22/2020 at 9:55 PM, Mighty Motif Max said:

I tried to find a standalone VST host for MacOS, but amazingly enough, while there are a number for Windows, there's virtually nothing for MacOS (aside from Gig Performer, which is way more than I need and want to spend, and DAWs).

Another option for a simple VST host is Camelot Pro. Even the free version can do it.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

True but Camelot Pro wasn't exactly stable back when I posted this thread, having just come out recently; I do own the iOS version and never use it even now.

• 1 year later...

Mighty Motif Max

I also am trying to load VI's and sounds into MainStage that are vst plugins. Could you supply some details on how to get Element by Kushview to be recognized by MainStage as a AU plugin? After accomplishing this, how do you get additional vst VI's, sound banks and presets into MainStage. Thank you.

It loaded just like any other AU plugin - look for "Element" in the list of AU's. You have to load VST's inside of it, so it's like running a mini Mainstage inside of Mainstage if that makes sense.