Speck One Fader Series
#3059425 08/22/20 10:38 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
One Fader Series

I believe these are new. I don't have a need at the moment but I think this is a really cool idea and extremely useful. Like for anything without an on-board master volume control such as a SEM. Or use it as a remote master volume control away from the mixer. Or line mixers with inserts.

Yeah I like this.

Sound, Studio, and Stage Island
Re: Speck One Fader Series
Markyboard #3059430 08/22/20 11:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Modular toys are FUN. Hopefully we see some creative uses of this sort of thing.

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Markyboard #3059445 08/23/20 12:45 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Or there's this stereo fader, if you don't mind a rotary control and want to save about $280...I have one, and it works fine.

Anderton #3059452 08/23/20 01:25 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Anderton
Or there's this stereo fader, if you don't mind a rotary control and want to save about $280...I have one, and it works fine.

Good for some, but I’m not a passivist. whistle

Edit: Ok now that I read up on it a bit that does look like another interesting option. I’m just not crazy about the fixed cables. Thanks for sharing that.

Last edited by Markyboard; 08/23/20 01:32 AM.
Markyboard #3059464 08/23/20 02:33 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted by Markyboard

Edit: Ok now that I read up on it a bit that does look like another interesting option. I’m just not crazy about the fixed cables. Thanks for sharing that.

It's okay, but what I REALLY want is a small box that inserts in a line level signal path, where you can control the level via Bluetooth from an app...that way you have remote control when needed.

My life changed when I got an app for my DAW so I could sing away from the computer and control the DAW. Although I get less exercise that way smile

1 member likes this: Markyboard
Anderton #3059490 08/23/20 11:47 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's okay, but what I REALLY want is a small box that inserts in a line level signal path, where you can control the level via Bluetooth from an app...that way you have remote control when needed.

My life changed when I got an app for my DAW so I could sing away from the computer and control the DAW. Although I get less exercise that way smile

YES - good one! Thinking about the Speck some more I don't really want to be hassling with cables and a power supply every time I decide to move the thing. In addition to an app have a device like the Fader 1/2/3 or that rotary knob transmit over bluetooth. This way you still have physical control when desired.

Anderton #3059494 08/23/20 12:52 PM
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
I have a t.c. Level Pilot. It's really handy and hardly takes up any room, but it's four pretty ordiinary pots and, when getting fussy about monitoring, there are some nits to pick.

First, the two channels don't track perfectly. They wander around over about a 1 dB range (the center image moves around a bit) for about the top 3/4 of the knob's rotation, and at pretty close to as close as it gets to off, the channels are more than 1 dB apart.

Second, there are two pots for each of the input and output cables, one for pin 2, one for pin 3. Like the center image, the two pots for the XLR leads don't change in resistance exactly the same. If they don't match perfectly, you lose some common mode rejection.

So, this is a "good for the price" gadget but don't try to sell it too hard to a serious mastering engineer. I like the form factor if there's room for it.

Vince Poulos (Mr. Speck, a really swell guy in addition to a good designer) knows very well about this "balanced" stuff and I expect that his fader components are better matched throughout their range than the t.c. electronic. The audiophile version is often a multi-position switch rather than a continuous pot, with laser trimmed resistors so that for every position, the attenuation and input and output impedances are accurately matched.

Markyboard #3059495 08/23/20 01:11 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I don’t scoff at Vince’s price (or Vince Price hand). You get what you pay for and for even really simple stuff quality electronics costs. Coleman is another high quality option, one I’ve been extremely happy with for years.

Markyboard #3059497 08/23/20 02:03 PM
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
4x KCFFL Champ
20k Club
You get what you pay for and for even really simple stuff quality electronics costs.
yeahthat

I've been a Speck owner/user for years. Nothing but props for Vince and his products.

dB

Dave Bryce #3059504 08/23/20 03:16 PM
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
Online Content
MPN Advisory Board
Gold Member
Originally Posted by Dave Bryce
I've been a Speck owner/user for years. Nothing but props for Vince and his products.

I have one of his parametric equalizers. It was new when I was at Mackie, and he sent me one to evaluate, and to compare to the EQ in Mackie's boards. After using it on a couple of projects in a friend's studio in Seattle, I didn't see any reason why I shouldn't pay him for it.

There was a time when I was dreaming of moving to Southern California (I still do, occasionally) and eventually settled on the northen San Diego area - Oceanside and Camp Pendelton are the landmarks there. I knew Vince was somewhere near San Diego, so we talked about that area at what I think was the last AES show where he exhibited. His new large format line level console was new then. He said he was in Fallbrook and that the next time I got down there, to get in touch and he'd show me around. He gave me a nice tour of a nice town, bought me a nice lunch, and I almost bought three houses there, but chickened out.

Maybe some day I'll figure out how to move. Having been in my present house for 40 years, and the one before that (three miles away) for 23 years, I get the chills whenever I think about throwing something away.

Markyboard #3059590 08/23/20 10:29 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'll never object to high quality justifying a particular price, but not everyone can justify a particular expenditure. Frankly I never really noticed the 1 dB difference, because I leave it up full most of the time. My main application is to check lower volume levels.

Markyboard #3059653 08/24/20 11:29 AM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
One more:
Btw I love looking and researching high quality gear with no desire to buy anything. I'll often download and actually RTFM. It allows me to share in some of the thrill when others buy this stuff. Yes I'm a geek so really nothing to justify here.

[Linked Image from dangerousmusic.com]

Markyboard #3059655 08/24/20 11:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
One more:
Btw I love looking and researching high quality gear with no desire to buy anything. I'll often download and actually RTFM. It allows me to share in some of the thrill when others buy this stuff. Yes I'm a geek so really nothing to justify here.[/img]
As you know at this point I've spent the last few weeks aggressively researching and pestering people about the right interface to put at the center of my home studio, with decisions made and a plan to pull the trigger today.

Did I still have to look up the D-Box+ when you posted it? Of course I did. roll

Samuel B. Lupowitz
Composer. Arranger. Musician. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.
Markyboard #3059741 08/24/20 08:28 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm using the Dangerous Music Source as my monitor/headphone controller...it's really sweet, they do good work. I feed it with SPDIF from the PreSonus Studio 1824c interface.

Anderton #3059765 08/24/20 10:50 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
I'm using the Dangerous Music Source as my monitor/headphone controller...it's really sweet, they do good work. I feed it with SPDIF from the PreSonus Studio 1824c interface.

Cool. Sam will be joining you shortly as another satisfied owner of high quality DM gear. keynana

1 member likes this: SamuelBLupowitz

Moderated by  Anderton 

Link Copied to Clipboard