Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need advice for how to stack 2 boards in home setup

I currently have a Kronos 88 on the lower tier and Yamaha 61 on the upper tier of my Ultimate keyboard stand. My issue is that the upper board is at the same angle as the lower board. I prefer to play sitting down. Ideally, it would be nice if the upper board could be at a steeper angle towards me as I find I have to stand up to see the screens and controls. This is basically a "permanent" setup, so I'm even wondering if I should get rid of the stand and look into a furniture/wooden solution to achieve my goals. Problem is I'm not good with a hammer and nails and don't really want to spend many thousands of dollars on a custom built setup. Any advice?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're thinking of getting rid of your stand anyway, there are plenty of 2 tier stands with a top tier that has angle adjustments.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This might help you...

I had added a 3rd tier to my Apex AX-48 stand in order to add a Yamaha MX61 to my rig (above a Mojo 61, and with a Roland FP-30 down below), and I had the same issue for quite awhile. Yeah, it's a pain...

I just solved it for less than $5 by wrapping a 3" x 2.5" x 20" piece of packing styrofoam (from one of the keyboards, if I recall) with black duck tape *, and that's placed towards the back of the top arms (and lightly secured with duck tape) to elevate the MX board.

To keep the board from sliding down, I bought a set of small brass "L" brackets at the hardware store, drilled small holes in the ends of the top 2 arms of the Apex stand to install the brackets, and then wrapped around the brass with black electrical tape (so it blended in, and cushioned it some). Turns out there was a slot molded into the bottom of the MX which the upright part of those brackets would fit into (I knew that in advance, and bought the right sized bracket to fit that slot and not be too tall), and it works great! Even without that slot, the tape-covered bracket would securely hold the bottom edge of the top board.

I'll bet that with a quick trip to the hardware store and some creative thinking, you'll be able to come up with a good solution for little $$ too.

Edited to add the image below...

You can see the ends of the L brackets at about top-center-right in this quick image (took it at a funky angle, but you'll get the idea).

I moved the MX so you could see those, as normally it's about 1.5" further down with the brackets in the slot.

Old No7

* Disclaimer: "No ducks were harmed in the use of that duck tape!"

YMfuXpl.jpg

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

Well ..... I recently bought one of these. Steve Force and some other members here use these also. I bought it to ride a dual manual combo organ over a slab piano. Top angle and distance from bottom tier is completely adjustable. It"s perfect except for possibly esthetics. It won"t go well with your home decor.

My only complaint is it does not assemble and disassemble as fast as I like but you said your setup is going to be permanent.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ZStd2Tier--on-stage-stands-ks7365-ej-pro-heavy-duty-folding-z-stand-with-2nd-tier

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I sympathize with this dilemma because I was just looking at basic synth/module stands on sweetwater the other day and one of the cheapest things that fit the job perfectly was $70. I think I'll go to walmart and buy a plastic folding dinner tray for $20. :laugh:

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

I have one of the K+M 18880 with the extra tiers and it works well as a sit down stand, good selection of angles on the extra tiers (18881 for the topmost tier and 18882 for an intermediate tier). Probably not the cheapest solution (my original cheapo 3 tier X stand was £30) but it's light and solid, i.e. usual K+M quality. 50Kg for the bottom and 25Kg for each additional tier, it may be that 50Kg is the total weight of all tiers but I don't know.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_18880.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_18881.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_18882.htm

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

Especially for a static installation, the OnStage 2-tier Z-stand KS7365EJ is hard to beat due to the top tier's adjustability of both height and tilt. I have two of 'em. Solid as rocks.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Awesome advice, thanks all! Leaning towards the 2 tier Z stand at this point. By the way, I'm blessed to have a "day job" so I'm not really worried about a couple of C-notes. I just know that I have seen some baller home-studio furniture setups that run easily towards $5K to $10K.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

Another vote for the OnStage 2-tier Z-stand KS7365EJ. I have one in my practice setup, great if you don't have to move it.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

K2Wc61b

I live in a small apartment, and my studio room is a very small second bedroom. I bought two pair of wall attachments from Standtastic and six sets of tiers. Here's one of the two wall units. The Kronos is supported by a K&M 18810 Omega. The music stand is jury-rigged with a guitar wall-hanger and a couple of eye bolts.