Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

any tips for recording keys straight to video?

Hey all.

I have been wondering about recording my voice and keys straight to my iphone. Usually I sync up the keys later from its own audio track, and it's a pain even though the audio is easier to manipulate this way. I have a direct-to-iphone plug in microphone, two different audio interfaces (mbox2 and Scarlett 4i4), different audio cables, and a mixer. I figure I can make it happen somehow. I'd love to have it all recorded straight to the video so I don't have to spend more time later syncing it.

any tips? Feel free to point me in the right direction if there are any videos on how to do this.

thanks!

eric

dreamcommander.bandcamp.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Scarlett is compatible with iOS (I believe it is, but you may need to hook it up using a lightning to USB single and test it out) it should be as simple as running your keys and a vocal mic into the Scarlett while it"s connected to your phone and then shooting a video. You may need to play around to get the gain right (not clipping, not too quiet) but since iOS only allows one audio device at a time, the interface should just work in place of the built in mic and speakers when connected.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Yep, don't F up because it's all caught on video .......... :stooges:

Yup, that's the issue I'm dealing with now -- but at least it's not being done on a livestream.

I'm using an "iRig Stream" which takes audio from my mixer (via RCA) to the iRig, which then plugs into the iPhone; and there is also a 1/8" jack to accept a mike input (which I'm not using).

Using the Stream completely eliminated all the background sounds I was getting from the boards themselves (MX61, Mojo 61, FP-30), the Mojo pedals or the squeaks from the adjustable-height piano bench. It's working great for what I got it for, and it's made for iPhone/IOS applications. Might be worth a look.

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

If the Scarlett is compatible with iOS (I believe it is, but you may need to hook it up using a lightning to USB single and test it out) it should be as simple as running your keys and a vocal mic into the Scarlett while it"s connected to your phone and then shooting a video. You may need to play around to get the gain right (not clipping, not too quiet) but since iOS only allows one audio device at a time, the interface should just work in place of the built in mic and speakers when connected.

This sounds good. I will try it! What kind of connector should I use from the Scarlett to iphone? sorry if you specified it and I didn't understand.

Record audio and video of your performance along their separate paths and match them up in a video editor. I know you want to avoid this step but just do it. Youl get better audio and you have to process the video to upload anyways.

thanks, I already do that. I'm interested in trying a new way just to see if it is possibly better for me.

Since you have the the Scarlett and MOTU you could record directly to iOS video using a mic for vocals and line in from the keyboard. Not sure if you can use your direct-to-IOS mic - does it have an adapter for the line ins on the mixer or interfaces?

For stability you might want to use a powered usb hub for the Scarlett or MOTU because both are bus powered. The Apple CCK adapter will power the iOS device, but it can quickly reject the other attached usb devices if they require too much power - and it can be very fussy about that. Plus the power rejection threshold can suddenly change between iOS updates.

Audio Chain (direct to iOS)

iOS device - CCK - usb hub - AUDIO INTERFACE (microphone / line in)

With mixer:

iOS device - CCK - usb hub - audio interface - MIXER (microphone / line in)

Since you have the the Scarlett and MOTU you could record directly to iOS video using a mic for vocals and line in from the keyboard. Not sure if you can use your direct-to-IOS mic - does it have an adapter for the line ins on the mixer or interfaces?

For stability you might want to use a powered usb hub for the Scarlett or MOTU because both are bus powered. The Apple CCK adapter will power the iOS device, but it can quickly reject the other attached usb devices if they require too much power - and it can be very fussy about that. Plus the power rejection threshold can suddenly change between iOS updates.

With mixer:

interesting. that is helpful! maybe it would also be helpful to add that I am using older apple stuff with 1/8" aux inputs. I'm not sure if that changes anything.

my mic is direct 1/8" into the headphone slot on the iPad/iPhone. I can probably slip a 1/4" adapter onto it to plug into the Scarlett (but needs 3 rings?).

I recommend getting a proper vocal mic to solve this problem. It's a simple no hassle solution that will work cleanly with your audio interfaces and mixer.

... my mic is direct 1/8" into the headphone slot on the iPad/iPhone ...

That's a TRRS jack (3 black rings). Your audio interfaces and mixer have either balanced TRS inputs or unbalanced TS inputs. There's a high chance of a kludgey fubar from the adapters needed to make this work, but the Rode SC3 TRRS to TRS adapter might work.

I recommend getting a proper vocal mic to solve this problem. It's a simple no hassle solution that will work cleanly with your audio interfaces and mixer.

... my mic is direct 1/8" into the headphone slot on the iPad/iPhone ...

That's a TRRS jack (3 black rings). Your audio interfaces and mixer have either balanced TRS inputs or unbalanced TS inputs. There's a high chance of a kludgey fubar from the adapters needed to make this work, but the Rode SC3 TRRS to TRS adapter might work.

good point. Yes, I think I'll hold off on this plan until I can tweak my setup. Will keep researching.

As some have hinted at, your best bet is to use the Scarlett with your phone/iPad using the camera connector kit. As long as you have the interface plugged in before you open the camera app, it becomes the default audio input and output. Hit record, play, stop recording, and it's all there. Piece of cake.

If you can, just get a regular mic instead of trying to combine that special TRRS one in with the interface signal. I don't know that it's possible without all kinds of workarounds.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

As some have hinted at, your best bet is to use the Scarlett with your phone/iPad using the camera connector kit. As long as you have the interface plugged in before you open the camera app, it becomes the default audio input and output. Hit record, play, stop recording, and it's all there. Piece of cake.

If you can, just get a regular mic instead of trying to combine that special TRRS one in with the interface signal. I don't know that it's possible without all kinds of workarounds.

thanks for the advice! I will try to get a regular mic and camera kit connector so I can try this approach. In the meantime I will do it the old way, editing it in later. It works for now.

I'm not 100% but I think the Roland Go:Mixer might be of use here.

thanks for the tip! I'm trying to not invest in any more gear but I will look into it if needed. :)

Just gonna float this one again, if you're looking at getting another mic and camera connector kit... I haven't used it myself but pretty sure it'll do exactly what you need in a relatively cheap and compact package. I believe they are discontinued so you might have to look around a bit but yeah. Just my fiftieth of a loonie :)

thanks for the tip! I'm trying to not invest in any more gear but I will look into it if needed. :)

Just gonna float this one again, if you're looking at getting another mic and camera connector kit... I haven't used it myself but pretty sure it'll do exactly what you need in a relatively cheap and compact package. I believe they are discontinued so you might have to look around a bit but yeah. Just my fiftieth of a loonie :)

Love it. Thanks for the excellent advice. Looking into it!

Love it. Thanks for the excellent advice. Looking into it!

Go for the GO:MIXER Pro, which does everything the old one does and more, including a reasonably good combo input for an XLR mic or a guitar, direct monitoring, etc., for only slightly more money. I played a show in Finland with one and was pleased with the audio quality.

Also: the minijack on an iPhone should never be used with an external mic except in dire emergencies. The input ADC is optimized for voice only and crosstalk is horrific. Just don't. Ever.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

With mixer:

:yeahthat:

A hub is incredibly handy. You can add MIDI controllers etc and the iGizmo will handle it beautifully. Get a small reliable one like an Anker, with a compact switching power supply, and it and the iGizmo's power brick (use an iPad one, the iPhone ones are trés wimpé) will power your whole setup.

If you're using a genuinely high-powered interface, plug it in separately, but always to the same outlet as the other two devices to avoid grounding noise issues.

Because I rarely record to my iPads, I lean toward interfaces with built-in USB hubs. The AudioHub 2x4 from Novation is a late lamented device that's worth grabbing used if you can find one; the Alesis Air | Hub has been working well for me in the few weeks I've had it.

Also: most good iOS-capable interfaces will work with other devices via interchangeable Lightning, USB, and OTG cables. Anything with a non-detachable (Korg plugKEY) or weird-custom-connector-on-the-other-end (IK Multimedia iAnythingatall) Lightning cable should be considered very carefully and skeptically before buying. You save maybe one or two boxes and one power supply and can lose important functionality. Also, they're not as future proof as USB interfaces.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music