Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mixer recommendations

Looking for a mixer to replace an older and mal functioning 6 channel Mackie. This would be for use with QSC powered speaker stage monitor. FOH typically from QSC, not mixer, so FOH can control boards individually. So it would have to be a stereo mixer to pan L and R for the two boards. Boards I am mixing are Yamaha S90-XS and Hammond XK-1. So far considering Yamaha, Behringer and Mackie.

Any recommendation from users is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a Soundcraft notepad for many gigs as both a submixer and monitor mixer (it has a pre-fader send that allowed this). No noise and I couldn't hear any or much sound coloration. The model I have is the 102, it's not made any more but I believe there are similar models. I was considering an Allen and Heath zed before I got this one used from a friend for 50 bucks :D

2 board mixer for gig use onstage = Radial Key Largo recommended.

I have an Allen & Heath Zed 10 and have used it for about 5 years. Now that I have it completely filled with inputs, it's noisier and colored, which it wasn't when I just had a couple of things plugged in at a time. A&H are built well and reliable though!

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I've been using a Behringer X1622USB for a couple of years, as a sub-mixer and monitor mix for me (in-ears, I monitor my keys in stereo, in the past year our sound company has sent me a stereo mix as well). I've had some down time after a triple bypass in May, but starting with the next gig it'll be a Radial Key Largo and a small mixer (possibly a Yamaha or Mackie).

M-Audio Hammer 88, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha ReFace CP, Korg D1

MacBook Air 13" M1 (2021) Logic Pro X 10.5, Mainstage, Roland Cloud (Ultimate), U-He DIVA, Arturia V-8

JammSammich, Peoria, Illinois

MacBook Pro 13" (2013) Logic Pro X 10.5, Mainstage, Roland Cloud (Ultimate), U-He DIVA, Arturia V-7, other various VST's.

That's a killer lineup, Stevie!

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I have had used Ashly LX 308B for my keyboards for 15 years, seen hundreds of gigs. Very quiet, flexible, and built like a tank:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LX308B--ashly-lx-308b-line-mixer

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

I see a rack mixer being recommended. I like a rack mixer format ... a lot. But don"t get one unless you want to do the prep setup right. Install a patch panel using pass through jacks and put all the I/O on the front of the rack. It especially is great if you have multiple devices to rack. The rack will create multiple efficiencies. My racks is small compared to the past but still has the mixer, my vent, DIs and my IEMs. Plug in everything on the front panel flip the switch on the Furman and the rig is live. But don"t bother if you are not going to do the front patch panel. Plugging everything in every night will be a pain in the keister. A desk mixer will be easier to access.

Here is an old version of my rack. Zippers failed on the bag. The bag was nice but zippers suck.

qBbAVyk.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Here are the mixers and configurations I've used. When running two keyboards in mono (most of the time) I use a Behringer Xenyx Q502 mixer. I use the left side of channels 2 and 3 for keyboard inputs, run a house board monitor send to channel 1 (panned hard right), send a FOH signal via Main Out L, then use the headphone output (with individual level control) to my powered monitor. That way I'm able to blend one of the house monitor sends (without keys) with my own keys monitor signal.

I also have an A & H Zed 10 board and Behringer RX1602 Rack mixer. These work great for larger rigs and/or a stereo keys setup. I use a pre-fader aux send on my mixer's channel receiving a house board monitor send, then set that channel's fader to 0. Then I run the aux send out to my powered monitor. Main outputs then go to the FOH keys channel(s) and my mixer's keys channel also use the aux send so I can blend them with the house monitor signal.

I'm pleased with the ZED-10; it's worked out well. And the Behringer mixers have also proven capable. I like the RX1602 a lot, just haven't used it much in the past few years.

I also give high marks to the Radial Key Largo; it would work well for the rig you described, StanC. It didn't fit my monitoring scheme, though the upgraded rack-mount version - the KL-8 - would. If I consistently worked with 2+ keys/computer/modules (plus consistently gigged), that one would be on my radar. RedKey from this forum uses one, I believe.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks guys for all the great ideas! It may now be up to a coin toss!! LOL

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

For years now, for mixing boards and production research I've used a Yamaha MG16XU, which is more channels than the OP talks about, but I only paid like 400 Euros for it, and then it has the advantage of 2 stereo sub busses, 8 strips with individual compressor (one knob changing compressions point, compression factor and make up gain), 4 mono aux sends (including one for good built in stereo output digital effects), and parametric mid Eq for the 8 mono strips, good balanced output buffers, built in supply. I don't know if the audio interface and it's surrounding electronics is better than the lower channel count ones from the same series, but when used right this mixer is pretty good.

Of course there's the numbers: what's the distortion (various kinds), how much noise is there (per part and depending on signal conditions and drive impedances), frequency response, etc, and a lot of these types of electronics parameters can influence each other, in ways some people like, but this is kind of neutral, which I prefer. And then it can look upward to "mixing" problems where it can actually shine, although I suppose many people will not use that live, or ever.

T.

Yamaha MG is the way to go, in terms of quality build, actual sliders vs. knobs (on most models) with a good throw range (for channel gain control), a good complement of critical vs. surplus features (e.g. good input gain staging control, more mic channels vs. Hi-Z-only channels compared to most other brands), intuitive and easy-to-use Mute Buttons (the opposite of Mackie's).

If you need a feature set beyond live mixing, rehearsals, and band recordings, there are other options, but I always had great experience with Yamaha's MG series compared to any other option that I either owned myself or used at gigs and in other people's studios. Built like a tank, lasts forever, and the mic pre's are much higher quality than most budget mixers.

A&H is great as well, but I heard the quality suffered at least for a bit after they got bought out. Also, you tend to have to spend more to get to sliders vs. knobs for channel gain control, and that makes a HUGE difference in terms of tactile sensitivity and quickly changing levels or mutes on multiple channels at once (often a necessity at gigs, rehearsals, and recording sessions).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Line mixers are an entirely different beast. Now I'm confused as to the purpose and the needs. I used BOTH when I still had my 80's cover band. The Ashley LX308B was awesome; best in class and with all the right features compared to competing models. It was my keyboard AND bass mixer (as I played both in that band) and went to personal monitoring, drummer, FOH, and band monitoring. The Yamaha was for the band itself, and one of its stereo input pairs was for the Ashley Line Mixer. I think we might have routed the backing tracks (when relevant) to the Ashley first as well.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The Radial Key Largo is interesting. It caught my eye when it was first announced. As my needs are significantly different these past few years as someone who mostly gigs with small jazz combos (the rock stuff always has someone else's gear anymore anyway so it's not my responsibility anymore), I haven't really delved into it. Definitely worth consideration, and there may be (now or later) multiple form factors?