Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It was 60 years ago today

The Beatles arrived in Hamburg, Germany in the early evening of 17 August 1960, for the first of 48 nights at the Indra Club on the Grosse Freiheit street. The group performed at the venue for 48 nights, ending on 3 October 1960. I have been a big fan of those guys recordings with Sir George Martin as producer. Simply amazing compositions, arraignments, performances & mixes. The gold standard of 60's pop/rock music (IMHO that is).

1333.jpg.3247b55a35584ea325ac1ba3d18b236d.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles changed the world, there is the Pre-Beatles World and the Post-Beatles World.

I was a kid, the family (6 of us) watched the Beatles on Ed Sullivan as it happened, all 3 weeks.

My mom liked them, she knew good harmony when she heard it. Dad thought they were kinda weird but he wasn't one to worry too much about how weird other people were.

I wanted a guitar. Eventually I got one. I never did get to be as famous as the Beatles, a blessing and curse I suppose.

I don't love all of their music but their best is as good as it gets.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I too was there for the Beatles debut on the Ed Sullivan show. Rock and Roll history was being made. It was just as big as the Elvis debut on Ed Sullivan's prime time show. I remember the Rolling Stones on the Ed Sullivan show as well. One might say old Ed had a nose for talent and shared it with the world. There were many acts showcased on his TV show back in the day. These 3 acts will stay on my favorites list forever (along with CCR to make it 4 that were on Ed's show).

I remember my history teacher saying the Beatles were just another fad group that wouldn't last. He admitted their music was catchy. I told him their music is going to last forever. And for me, it has... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Take care, Larryz

I never did get to be as famous as the Beatles, a blessing and curse I suppose..

I was thinking the same thing, I wanted to get rich, and get at all the groupies :cheers:. That was my motivation (which I think is the wrong motivation for artistic success). I was good enough at one time to play some good guitar. But at the time that I had the energy to practice enough to be presentable on stage, I was too into being fast and flashy without any feeling nor pauses. It took me until lately to slow down and try to be more melodic and play less notes and add pause's and more sustained notes with a lot less flash. I kinda like that transition. I took lessons from Emily Remler a very good jazz guitarist who effected my outlook on guitar but then I took some lessons from Bobby Aslanian who taught Al Di Meola, and lessons from Bobby Aslanian is how I learned enough to play all those Al Di Meola notes.

I never did get to be as famous as the Beatles, a blessing and curse I suppose..

I was thinking the same thing, I wanted to get rich, and get at all the groupies :cheers:. That was my motivation (which I think is the wrong motivation for artistic success). I was good enough at one time to play some good guitar. But at the time that I had the energy to practice enough to be presentable on stage, I was too into being fast and flashy without any feeling nor pauses. It took me until lately to slow down and try to be more melodic and play less notes and add pause's and more sustained notes with a lot less flash. I kinda like that transition. I took lessons from Emily Remler a very good jazz guitarist who effected my outlook on guitar but then I took some lessons from Bobby Aslanian who taught Al Di Meola, and that is how I learned enough to play all those Al Di Meola notes.

I've always written happy snappy little pop songs, a bit off the beaten track perhaps. But I was never that good of a singer and I HATED the sound of the recording technology that is available to somebody with limited funds. The good studio in town wanted $90 an hour.

And yeah, I was certainly more into the shred than the melody. Takes a while for this to get going, recorded in the late 80's on 4 track cassette. Most of the noise is from running a direct out from a Mesa Boogie MKIII.

Ain't no Beatles going on there!!!! https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse/tracks/there-go-elephants/142050

Very nice work there amigo, interesting, different, and well done. I liked it.

I never had a Mark III, I did have a Mark II C + head and 1-12 cab (And I still have the EVM 12 L that came with the 80 watt Mark IIC+ and I use it every day for practice till this day) and a Mark IV 80 watt combo that I put that same original 200 watt OEM EVM 12L that came with the Mark IIC+ every time I sold a Boogie I kept that original speaker and I still love the sound.

I also once had a Mesa Quad Preamp (Which had a Mark III simulation in it) and a 200 watt per side all tube Mesa Strategy 400 power amp. That monster was loud. I had it hooked up to four 1-12 cabinets each with a 300 watt EVM 12L speaker. (I actually blew one of those speakers with that Quad preamp and Strategy 400 power amp. I still have that same EVM 12 that I blew and EV fixed for free out in my shed/studio) It has been a long time since I sold those Mesa's.

Thanks DBM!

And it all started with the Fab Four with the weird haircuts rocking out the USA on the telly.

It was not un-noticed by myself and who knows how many others that they had 2 guitars, a bass guitar and drums. No keyboards, no horns, no extra backup singers, just the 4 of them.

I started on acoustic guitar and tried electric bass before electric guitar because I could get in a band that way. When a better bass playing kid got my gig I switched to electric guitar.

I still love bass though. Paul was influenced by James Jamerson (who wasn't?) and in turn became an influential bassist in his own right.

On October 17th 1962 the Fab Four made their first TV appearance from a Studio in Manchester and it was a regional broadcast to just the North West of England.

As it happens I saw that broadcast and it change my life and I became an avid lifelong fan.

Col

On October 17th 1962 the Fab Four made their first TV appearance from a Studio in Manchester and it was a regional broadcast to just the North West of England.

As it happens I saw that broadcast and it change my life and I became an avid lifelong fan.

Super cool that you got to see that!!!!

Thanks for sharing!