Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are matter. You occupy a large space on the universal server. You are made up of numerous of atoms around which electrons are revolving and spinning.

Your existence has a meaning. You got mass because you interacted with Higgs field produced by Higgs particle and you got a drag

when you interacted with a field resulting in your mass. . You bend space-time fabric. You are soul.

You are here to find the secrets of the Universe. You are here to know your worth. You are here to know about your importance.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Simple. Because you're not there.

Just remember, what we call "reality" is a hologram generated by the electromagnetic spectrum. The religions and philosophies that consider our physical plane an illusion are correct from a technical standpoint, more so than from a spiritual one.

It is entirely bassed on frequencies. You are an accumulation of frequency patterns sufficient to create the perception of mass over time.

You think you are, therefore you think you are.

Besides that, you are a transport system for water.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

You are here to find the secrets of the Universe. You are here to know your worth. You are here to know about your importance.

If that's true, why can't he get a date?

Why are you here? Simple, you're bored. The rest of it is a space/time illusion propagated by Q or the Vorlons or the Sith or Slaanesh or somebody. Oh, right. Doctor Strange.

Man, things are really getting slow around here...

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

If that's true, why can't he get a date?

Why are you here? Simple, you're bored. The rest of it is a space/time illusion propagated by Q or the Vorlons or the Sith or Slaanesh or somebody. Oh, right. Doctor Strange.

Man, things are really getting slow around here...

Bob

Women drive me crazy ð

What I meant was? Why am i here on this forum?

That"s why i posted what I did?

Simple. Because you're not there.

Just remember, what we call "reality" is a hologram generated by the electromagnetic spectrum. The religions and philosophies that consider our physical plane an illusion are correct from a technical standpoint, more so than from a spiritual one.

Like the Matrix?

What I meant was? Why am i here on this forum?

That"s why i posted what I did?

Because it's soooo much better than Facebook or Gearslutz.

There's an ebb and flow of conversation. That's NOT ALLOWED on traditional social media, where something has to be happening all the time. But there isn't something always happening all the time.

Why am I here? Because I'm about to work some more on my album, and wanted to see what's going on with my peeps.

It is a community. It is subject to vagaries and there are no commercial pressures. That's probably why people keep coming back.

Thank you Craig!

Yea, I made a mistake and joined Gearslutz. Not realizing what I was getting myself into. I make one comment, and it alerts me of which topics I am participating in. Even though, I"m not. Also, there are some threads that started a year or two years ago, and are still going! Not only that, that get way off topic. Don"t they let these threads die?

possibly , there a re a few reasons why we are ' here'.

Mine is 'why can't my Kronos sound exactly like the guitar in Brass in Pocket:

I think the upfront guitar is a Rick, thru some kind of chorus FX

[70's Songwriter]

Guitars sound like guitars because the player is touching the strings that make the sound. It might be just as helpful to know what pick was used.

Also, is that Chrissie or James? There is a much trickier guitar part just underneath, which could be James, so it might well be Chrissie on the signature part. She was mostly a Tele player, I can hear that sound coming out of a Tele neck or middle setting. Soft attack indicates an analog chorus pedal. They have the chorus turned way up.

Keyboards sound like keyboards. This is not a value judgement, just noting that the two instruments are profoundly different. Keyboards that do have strings are using a mechanism to strike them, usually at a single point.

Guitar strings usually have 2 contact points, both can vary the tone. Down near the nut, guitars may have "interesting" intonation quirks that keyboards do not have.

Keyboards that are designed to be more versatile due to amazing modern technology will always be better at some things than others.

And Paul is here because he is not there. :laugh:

Also, is that Chrissie or James? There is a much trickier guitar part just underneath, which could be James, so it might well be Chrissie on the signature part. She was mostly a Tele player, I can hear that sound coming out of a Tele neck or middle setting. Soft attack indicates an analog chorus pedal. They have the chorus turned way up.

there are 2 or 3 guitar parts thru out the song. [ I am dissecting the song].

"Honeyman-Scott also credited Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello with their "big jangly" Rickenbacker-influenced guitar sound (Guitar Player, 1981). "

as near as I can hear and read, James is behind the distinctive guitar part, likely on a Rick. For this 'official ' recording.

He used other guitars , too.

[70's Songwriter]

"Honeyman-Scott also credited Nick Lowe and Elvis Costello with their "big jangly" Rickenbacker-influenced guitar sound (Guitar Player, 1981). "

as near as I can hear and read, James is behind the distinctive guitar part, likely on a Rick. For this 'official ' recording.

It could be. Listen to Back On The Chain Gang, very similar sounding guitar. When I saw the Pretenders live on the Middle of the Road tour, Chrissie played guitar and sang for the entire show, just a 4 piece band outdoors on a college ampitheater stage so impossible to hide a keyboard player or other sidemen. The backstage was an open area, no walls, just grass.

She is an accomplished strummer and can sing over some interesting timing. She loved her chorus tones. I find it difficult in that context to rule her out.

Mic type and position on the speaker can make a huge difference in transients as well as the analog chorus chiming away.

Maybe we can find session notes or remembrances from the engineer or producer somewhere.

It could be. Listen to Back On The Chain Gang, very similar sounding guitar. When I saw the Pretenders live on the Middle of the Road tour, Chrissie played guitar and sang for the entire show, just a 4 piece band outdoors on a college ampitheater stage so impossible to hide a keyboard player or other sidemen. The backstage was an open area, no walls, just grass.

She is an accomplished strummer and can sing over some interesting timing. She loved her chorus tones. I find it difficult in that context to rule her out.

Mic type and position on the speaker can make a huge difference in transients as well as the analog chorus chiming away.

Maybe we can find session notes or remembrances from the engineer or producer somewhere.

there are YT's on Brass in Pocket[bIP]. and the usual interviews of the band.

The studio recording of BIP is my focus.

While Chrissie wrote BIP, she disliked the song. She fought the release and did not want to perform it live.

Its on the Internet, must be true ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Guitars sound like guitars because the player is touching the strings that make the sound. It might be just as helpful to know what pick was used.

Keyboards sound like keyboards. This is not a value judgement, just noting that the two instruments are profoundly different. Keyboards that do have strings are using a mechanism to strike them, usually at a single point.

Guitar strings usually have 2 contact points, both can vary the tone. Down near the nut, guitars may have "interesting" intonation quirks that keyboards do not have.

Keyboards that are designed to be more versatile due to amazing modern technology will always be better at some things than others.

And Paul is here because he is not there. :laugh:

. Yea, I"ve never been altogether there!

there are YT's on Brass in Pocket[bIP]. and the usual interviews of the band.

The studio recording of BIP is my focus.

While Chrissie wrote BIP, she disliked the song. She fought the release and did not want to perform it live.

Its on the Internet, must be true ;)

Your last line seems intended as humor, and it should be so, amusing. If the videos on YT contain interviews with people who were there at the recording and remember definitively who played what (or took notes pertaining thereto), then you wouldn't be stating an opinion regarding the possibiltiy of it being a Rickenbacker, would you?

There are YT videos about all sorts of things, lol.

I understand Chrissie's dislike, I hated that song when it first came out. Time has softened my profound dislike.

Here is footage from a live rehearsal in 1979. James is playing a Flying V and Chrissie is not playing a guitar at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XemBK3TfSDk

It doesn't prove what guitar was used for the recording though. That's probably the best that YT can do.

Chris Tomas was the producer on the first Pretenders album but searching brings up little or nothing.

In any case, the sound on the record is the sound. It doesn't matter at all what guitar was used since you are trying to get that tone on a keyboard.

First song I ever heard by the Pretenders.

Love Chrissie smoking a cigarette while singing.

I didn"t think it was a bad song, but what do I know?

I like it a lot now!!!

That's why I am here (and not there).

Girl groups or groups with strong female vocals exploded onto the music scene 70's and 80's.

Pretenders are a good example. There was Pat Benatar and Joan Jett and countless others.

There is a lot of catchy guitar work behind Brass in Pocket. The rhythm section is rock solid.

My sister and other friends asked that I cover the song. enjoying the challenge !

[70's Songwriter]

Girl groups or groups with strong female vocals exploded onto the music scene 70's and 80's.

Pretenders are a good example. There was Pat Benatar and Joan Jett and countless others.

There is a lot of catchy guitar work behind Brass in Pocket. The rhythm section is rock solid.

My sister and other friends asked that I cover the song. enjoying the challenge !

You are a better man than I!!! I've been the James Honeyman Scott of the group but singing a Pretenders song? Yikes! Chrissie had a very unique voice and style.

We can't forget Joni Mitchell!!! I've heard a rare few covers of any of her tunes that worked well, tough act to follow, that.

I was in a band that played Mystery Achievement, Tattooed Love Boys and Precious.

Also in another band that played Middle Of The Road.

HUGE Chrissie Hynde fan, AND Joni Mitchell fan. I saw Joan Jett twice, fun in concert but not lyrically on the same level (then again, who is?).

Best live show by far was the Divinyls, they opened for Aerosmith and blew them off the stage. Christina Amphlett was a force of Nature, the eye of the hurricane.

Bonnie Raitt was amazing in her own unique way, so was Emmylou Harris.

Probably the dumbest thing I didn't do was to drive from Fresno to Tulare and see Emmylou Harris and Linda Ronstadt perform at the Tulare County Fair. I have no excuse...