Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer BBG (PPG) Wave

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In playing with Omnisphere, I realized that many of my favorite sounds derived from the PPG 2.3. My Solaris has those original waves in it. For wavetable, I would rather just get the new Waldorf Iridium - it is so well thought out and has a gorgeous mod matrix. These Behringer re-issues are kind of cool, but mostly I have no desire to own the originals even. I appreciate them, but aesthetically, I want to explore the best things made today, not look backwards. The Solaris has let me explore some of the sonic space, but in a modern package, with far more expressive capability. But for the prices Behringer are charging, one can explore something that was perhaps unobtainable at the time, and that is a good thing.

I so wanted a Yamaha SY77 when those were a thing - the sound of it in the store was just so different and attractive. Today, I could easily afford one, but I'd never want to deal with that interface. It would drive me nuts. The Montage/MODX are amazing, far more powerful, and again have a truly excellent mod matrix, and I'd pick them instead.

More about me than the instrument in question, I realize, but I'm glad they are making them for those that want them. It's not like keeping a vintage PPG running is an easy thing, and I'm sure great music will be made with these and the others.

The modern way using PPG is (formerly Steinberg) PPG Wave 2.V and Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V.

At least the latter sounds very good for what I want from "PPG" sound.

As a Solaris owner, you might know, exploring such sounds is also possible using John Bowen´s ZARG devices on CW Scope and S|C XITE DSP farms.

There are Waldorf OSCs offering the wavetables as also SSM filter modules available.

In fact, I´don´t see any reason re-creating ancient digital synths in hardware while I understand that very well for the analog domain.

A.C.

In fact, I´don´t see any reason re-creating ancient digital synths in hardware while I understand that very well for the analog domain.

A.C.

Straight up capitalizing on nostalgia. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Huge fan of PPG. It was hugely innovative and a product of the time. I don"t see the purpose of a modern recreation though. Too many good products implement the wave tables already as a add on side feature of an already more powerful platform.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

' We"re looking for beta testers.

As we"re making great progress with our Wave synth, we"re now looking for beta testers who want to help us test the unit and meet the following 'must have' criteria:

- You own an original Wave 2.2 or 2.3

- You have deep synth and technical experience

- You"re willing to create videos

In return we"ll reward you with a free unit.

If you"re interested please drop us a note at joinus@musictribe.com.

Thank you.'

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I've posted this in other places but it looks like they might have the PPG master Hermann Seib on board!

From the Facebook comments under the beta testers wanted post,

I'd be willing ... PPG 1020, Wavecomputer 360A, Wave 2, Wave 2.2, 2.3, EVU, 5 waveterms, 4 PRKs, PRK-FD, HDU, plus a little bit of experience in emulating them
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

I'm largely unimpressed, for the simple reason that virtually every modern wavetable synth you can name contains all of these sounds and much more. This was the first real hurrah of the form, so of course it had the power of novelty, helped along by the unique wave sequencing. Now, even sophisticated wavetablers like Pigments have the PPG/Prophet-VS waves at the front of the oscillators, table-sweeps and all. If people want to recreate the 70s/80s with hardware B-stacks, that's fine. I'd simply like to hear 20 different candidates explain why they're drawn to the BBG.

Full disclosure: I can't get too arrogant over the nostalgic slice of anyone else's GAS pizza, since I greatly enjoy M-Tron, a D-50 and Korg's Legacy Monopoly & Wavestation. I also shamefullly admit that Logic's host B-3 suits me fine. When I crank it up with a little fuzz on it, the bass bin bounces a bit. What else do I need? Yeah, its posing some to go that way, but I'm man enough to admit that I've had too much life-time tequila to wrestle a real Hammond now. :facepalm:

If Uli is doing this and an OB, I counter by wondering if that Korg DX7-alike in the trade show case will be their next big item. If so, watch them bundle it with a proper editor & a wad of Hotop sounds. Full workstations are waning, but I see growth in more focused hardware synths with software that bridges the gap.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

And of course Waldorf did the PPG 3.V in software. I don"t imagine the physical machine would sound any different.

In fact, it sounds "better" and is much more reliable.

IMO, the orig. Waldorf Microwave rack, which still used SSM filters, was the best sounding and most reliable of the WAVE hardware products.

I know W.Palm in person since the 70s when he did custom builds of analog modulars,- and he was still involved in that product.

The last time I´ve met him about 5 years ago, he thought the same and he told me he´d never again run a hardware company.

We discussed his VST/AU and iOS products and his opinion was they are all better than the old hardware.

There´s not really much processing power needed to run the wavetable engine algorithms.

Digitally re-creating the sound of SSM filters is much more demanding I think.

But, when Uli B. decided to re-create that Waldorf Microwave rack and again w/ the SSM chips and double polyphony, that´s what I´d buy in a heartbeat.

A.C.

That is the issue that comes up - at least that"s the one I run into a lot when comparing classic hardware and software. Has anyone tried running their VST synths into products like...

Waldorf 2 Pole

Vermona Filter Lancet

Sherman Filter Bank 2

Etc.

Guys, I think the real differentiating factor here is that the PPG (and I presume this BBG re-creation) has analog filters.

Also that it's blue.

I agree with everyone that digital wave synths are better in the digital world, and modeled filters usually sounded better than my old Blofeld.

But if this has analog filters, I'm interested....

Also that it's blue.

And I've never owned a blue synth...so you see my dilemma here! Well, I did own an Emulator III, but that was more grey than blue. I digress.

I'd buy it if the price is reasonable.

Also that it's blue.

And I've never owned a blue synth...so you see my dilemma here! Well, I did own an Emulator III, but that was more grey than blue. I digress.

I'd buy it if the price is reasonable.

It will be priced aggressively as all their models are.

I have to admit there's a part of me that could justify having one of each of all these Behringer clones. Realistically though, after they've successfully brought a dozen of these things to market (IF THAT ACTUALLY EVER HAPPENS), I'd love to see what they then come out with after everything they've learned in the process.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

after they've successfully brought a dozen of these things to market (IF THAT ACTUALLY EVER HAPPENS)

Currently shipping Behringer CLONES (not including their own designs):

System 55 modular (moog)

System 100 modular (Roland)

CAT (Octave Cat)

Poly-D (paraphonic minimoog)

Model D (minimoog)

WASP (EDP Wasp)

TD-3 (TB 303)

Odyssey (ARP)

K-2 (MS20)

Vocoder VC340 (VP330)

Pro-1 (Sequential)

plus the

RD-8 (808 clone)

and the various Klark Teknik FX clones.

Okay: ELEVEN synth reissues successfully brought to market. You're right: the dozen may never happen. ;-)

Their own designs are the DeepMind, Crave, and Neutron.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

This has been going on for years. Behringer knows exactly what they are doing. These legacy products aren"t protected. The smarmy copying of names and layouts and color schemes - pretty blatant, but not something that can be stopped legally from what we"ve seen