Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winwood new Gimme Some Lovin' video - shitty organ sound?

Hes no lachey doley but I thought it was pretty good.

:lolol:

Funnily enough in recent weeks Lachy released a recorded version of Gimme Some Lovin :D

[video:youtube]

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the versions of Traffic I saw live with the great Jim Gordon on drums what a show! The last session I worked on at Sound City Jim Gordon was the drummer. It was commercial date with all the usual suspect studio guys. Jim was pretty out of it between takes, but when the Red light was on he played his ass off.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/PjvQPZS41ag

A quick listen to everyone's links above - seems that Steve has been singing Gimme Some Lovin in F# for at least the last 25 years, so taking it down 1 (1/2 step) isn't anything recent for him. I can't think of a better way to spend my early morning. In every one it's just been... wow! :love:

Lyrics:

Well ma dibbi doo bouma namma feeda dufrah

liddee peepoo knockin goods oh wa tromboh

Gibbi eem baby I don't know whatchu gah

butchu beeba bip easy

dippa doo hot naa

LOL!!! This is exactly how it sounded to me the first time I ever heard it as a kid.

I might try this the next time I sit in with the small band that does it :)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

The clone is not the thing on question, and I agree with the clonewheel quote. The issue to me is the sound. I'm sure it can get much better with tweaking. But that sounds almost like a rompler there. Recording issues or personal taste? Or I'm the only one who thinks it sounds like shit and should'nt? LOL

The original was also played on a Harmony D-21 bass. The Fender ain"t cutting it.

If it wasn"t for clonewheels and apps most of us elder statesmen wouldn"t be playing at all. If he can live with it so can I.

Jake

The Roland VR09 that some people here praise doesn't sound any better than this, the only way to get that original sound it's with a real leslie at full throttle. IMHO There's nothing wrong to using the stop position ,if you play jazz it's fundamental , or ask Brian Auger about it :laugh:

Well all this talk about Gimme Some Lovin by Spencer Davis Group got me to remember an old song that I first heard by Taj Mahal called A Lot of Love originally by Homer Banks. The two songs are so similar I started digging yesterday for the Homer's record, the two song are so dam similar. So I checked the years both songs were recorded and they were both done in the same year. Homer's was actually the B side of a 45 single. It's obvious one of these to groups records were influenced by they other. Any hard core Blues people out there that might know more about the date Homer's record was recorded. Be cool to know who influence who kind of a chicken and egg thing.

The key in gimmie some lovin is actually stock in G. He drops it so E. That's part of the problem. If I was that piano player the last couple minutes I would have mixed it up a bit.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

This is one of the versions of Traffic I saw live with the great Jim Gordon on drums what a show! The last session I worked on at Sound City Jim Gordon was the drummer. It was commercial date with all the usual suspect studio guys. Jim was pretty out of it between takes, but when the Red light was on he played his ass off.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/PjvQPZS41ag

He is doing something at the 1:27 mark to the vibrato I think?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Lyrics:

butchu beeba bip easy

dippa doo hot naa

Ha! True this.....I've got a couple of buds (white dudes) who are piano players, as well as "soulful" vocalists. Both are REALLY fine singers, but when they do that "soul" thing they default to this style where they barely open their mouth and you can't decipher a word they're singing They don't do it in any other style they perform. My wife goes with me to hear them both occaisionally (well, pre plague) and describes that singing style as a "vowel movement"......

Lyrics:

butchu beeba bip easy

dippa doo hot naa

Ha! True this.....I've got a couple of buds (white dudes) who are piano players, as well as "soulful" vocalists. Both are REALLY fine singers, but when they do that "soul" thing they default to this style where they barely open their mouth and you can't decipher a word they're singing They don't do it in any other style they perform. My wife goes with me to hear them both occaisionally (well, pre plague) and describes that singing style as a "vowel movement"......

:laugh:Too funny... My wife is Russian and speaks perfect "Queen's" English and she can't understand any of the lyrics in soul, rap, or country songs.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

That drives me crazy too-singers intentionally slurring their words because they think it makes them sound soulful, i.e. not "white". If you have to force it you ain't got it.

"Vowel movement" LOL. Regards to the wife! :thu:

Hes no lachey doley but I thought it was pretty good.

:lolol:

Funnily enough in recent weeks Lachy released a recorded version of Gimme Some Lovin :D

This is the organ tone my heart believes is in the original recording, even if my ears don't hear it.

Just hearing him do Georgia On My Mind was amazing. What a musician, also a stellar vocalist-

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Lyrics:

butchu beeba bip easy

dippa doo hot naa

LOL!!! This is exactly how it sounded to me the first time I ever heard it as a kid.

I might try this the next time I sit in with the small band that does it :)

I hope you do !

:D

:2thu:

A.C.

Funny thing is Stevie hated that song at first. Spencer has been living in Avalon on Catalina Island for about 25 years and most musicians living there including my sister knows him very well. Him and his wife are just another retired couple living on the island and loves the solitude and quiet during the off season. I was talking to him a few years ago and he mentioned when he wrote Gimme, he was doing that intro lick on harmonica. In the studio he wanted Stevie to do it on organ and he didn't want to. He thought the song was too simple and basically hated it, he wanted Spencer to keep doing it on harp but once he started doing it on organ he got into it. In that old black and white vid notice how he builds up the sound in the bridge. He's flipping switches on each chord to get everything he can out of that organ he's playing. It sounds like he really cared then but in this new vid it seems like he could care less about the organ part, he's focused on his singing. Maybe some of you are right, he really likes that sound and did it deliberately but for me it sucks.

I completely agree the Lachy version is great. I do it exactly like that with my SK1 on full distortion. When I go to the island for gigs I don't take any amps, I either play through an EV SXA 360 or one of the guitar amps and they're cranked. If Spencer sits in he does it in G otherwise the bandleader has a voice like Lachy's and it's in E.

The times we live in now. Every time I watch a live concert vid I'm thinking when are we going to be able to go and see something like this live? When will any of us be able to play anything live? It's not looking good right now.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

... Every time I watch a live concert vid I'm thinking when are we going to be able to go and see something like this live? When will any of us be able to play anything live? It's not looking good right now.

You nail it !

I myself, I fear it will need years now,- no kiddin´ !

Meanwhile, I´m so old, I think about to give up and do music only for private joy.

In my age, it makes no sense waiting and losing money.

Corvid19 finally kills all the biz ...

It´s one of these things governments knew they can (or sooner or later will) happen,- but always simply hoped for they won´t.

Now it did,- and it´s not the end of the story !

A.C.

JMO, the weakest part of the 2020 version is the backing vocals. Overall, I think the track is a blast and grooves nicely. It's a shame we can't see him nor anyone else live and have to settle for these Covid Comp videos, but props to him for doing it!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI