Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Analog Lead Synth suggestions

I'm starting to think about my next big purchase. The biggest hole in my rig is a dedicated analog lead board, mostly for rock and jazz. I've already got a workstation, a clonewheel and a Seaboard, so I don't really need/want something that does everything and the kitchen sink. Most of the best I'm seeing are 8-12 note polyphony and 64 keys, which is overkill for my needs. On the flip-side, the simpler boards I'm seeing have awful micro-key keybeds, and no patch memory. I know that's the way everything started, but I'm going to wanna use this live, and dialing in patches mid-gig is hell, I think it would be smart to get something with patch memory, even if that's cheating a bit.

Here's my ideal:

- 37-49 full-sized keys (pref 37)

- could be monosynth, or low OSC count (mostly for leads)

- one-nob per function, I wanna get away from menu diving as much as possible

- Aftertouch (I'm a huge AT vibrato player)

- patch memory

- sub-$1000

Any recommendations?

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how practical this is, but I love the Korg MS-20 for stuff like this as well as all sorts of other sounds.

MS-20 doesn't have patch memory and interface is less then conventional/intuitive (great sound though).

Behringer Deepmind 12 (or 6)

DSI MEK :rawk:

DSI Mopho SE or better yet Mophox4: Knobby interface not great (matrixed/shared knobs).

Sequential Circuits Pro 2: maybe a grand if you get lucky but more likely find one for $1200 ish.

Step up in budget:

MFB Dominion 1

Moog Subsequent 37(SE)

Sequential Circuits Pro3

I don't know how practical this is, but I love the Korg MS-20 for stuff like this as well as all sorts of other sounds.

But no aftertouch or patch memory.

Had one of this when they was released, and a chart with me on stage for my patches. A bit of a nightmare :facepalm:

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

I get more sound for leads from ZebraHZ than my hardware.

But my hardware CAT and SE-02 especially on Bass can"t be touched by software.

I"ve had ZebraHZ for so long it can do just about anything.

Even though it"s not my bass synth it does the 808 Kick layer, and Super Fat 4 Osc Mono.

Never use to be like this but ZebraHZ is a beast of a synth.

So big I stopped using Omnisphere but run Keyscape through it.

You might like CAT though. Just no presets which is as useless as tits on a bull.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

FTW - get a 61 key poly and run it in mono/unison modes. Shred some big runs.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

MS-20 doesn't have patch memory and interface is less then conventional/intuitive (great sound though).

Behringer Deepmind 12 (or 6)

DSI MEK :rawk:

DSI Mopho SE or better yet Mophox4: Knobby interface not great (matrixed/shared knobs).

Sequential Circuits Pro 2: maybe a grand if you get lucky but more likely find one for $1200 ish.

Step up in budget:

MFB Dominion 1

Moog Subsequent 37(SE)

Sequential Circuits Pro3

Perfect suggestions. Dominion 1 and Sub/Subsequent 37 can be found used for 1000 or a little more, with some patience. Not so for the Pro 3, which is very recent.

I would look for a MEK or Pro2, because they also have some onboard effects. (MEK has only delay, but with three lines, you can program decent pseudo-reverbs)

I used to have a bought-used Virus kb (the B model) that was GREAT for leads...I was doing classic rock and it could do any poly synth, pad, or "moog" solo I needed. Dearly regret selling that keyboard, I got it and sold it for just over 600 bucks. The keybed was the best I ever owned. Also had its own effects, which may or may not be important to you---some of the cheaper analog ones do not.

Buying new, since I need poly as well as lead if I gig again--and assuming I don't just get a Nord stage with the lead A1 engine--the two on my list would be a Prophet rev2 and the Hydrasynth. Very different I realize, but the price is decent and both of these bring a lot to the table for me. My friend has a deepmind 12, and while I think it's well-made and sounds ok, there's something a bit lacking in the sound for me. Might be my programming "skills" but when I messed with it I wasn't getting the "hair blown back" synth sounds I remembered from the Virus. Again I know these are different engines so that isn't really fair. All I know is, when I'd tear into a big ripping unison patch on that Virus, the whole band would turn and look with expressions of "%#$@ YEAH!" on their face...and they hardly ever pay attention to what I'm doing, seems like :D

Some good suggestions. I"m not opposed to using something bigger... but honestly, my rig is already starting to get a little crazy, and I was hoping to find something I could put on a laptop tray tripod in a pinch, instead of a whole new stand. I already gig with an 88Key/Laptop, Mojo61, and Seaboard Rise49. I think if I found something with a small footprint I"d be likely to use it more.

The moog offerings are always great, Sub37 is very high on my list. I"ve got a friend with one, I need to borrow his and test drive it. Phatty doesn"t have presets tho, does it? Or the Grandmother either? They look like vintage 70s without any digital components.

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

I owned a Sub 37 a few years ago. If i needed something like that again, I would probably seriously check out the Pro 3. The different filters, 3 osc., and built in effects would make a big difference to me. Probably would be hard to find one used -- but the additional features may make it worth getting a new one.

Also, the Sub 37 was larger than I had expected -- it's about 7 inches high to accommodate the tilted layout.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

I"ll go ahead and say it:

Nord Lead.

But seriously, a used Nord Lead 2 or 2x meets almost all your requirements and can be found <$1000. Just no aftertouch, but it does have a useful programmable morphing wheel. I liked mine.

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

Also--and if it's good enough for a super-iconic keyboard solo from Corey Henry, probably good enough for most of us!--I've seen King Korgs used for reasonable prices on Guitar Center used. I'd actually be more interested in the Studiologic Sledge for similar used prices. Yet another option, and a smaller one, would be the Blofeld keyboard.

Does it "have" to be analog? I no longer see the reason why...there are many great VA synths out there.

I love the Mopho and Mopho x 4 (I have both) but I want to get another Ultranova if I see one at a good price again. Both it and the Mininova always sounded so good to me... Great value for what they offer.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

I should think that an early decision is whether you just want the analog sound or the keyboard form factor. I use a Slim Phatty and pump low frequency audio signals from Mainstage (ES1, ES2) into the pitch CV for vibrato on aftertouch. (approximately 9-10 hz for a fast synth vibrato and the volume of the Mainstage audio signal is the "lfo" modulation depth). Higher pitched audio signals can give you FM screams, white noise snarls, howls, etc. But it looks different when somebody physically wrestles an analog keyboard synth.

If you enjoy the DSI sound, (and to me there is a difference between the SSM-ish filter in PRO2, PRO3, Prophet vs the CEM-ish filters in the others) I believe a power user like you would get tons of musical value from the epic mod matrixes which Dave Smith puts into his products. Can't wait to hear the cool music you are going to make. All the best!

Here's my ideal:

- 37-49 full-sized keys (pref 37)

- could be monosynth, or low OSC count (mostly for leads)

- one-nob per function, I wanna get away from menu diving as much as possible

- Aftertouch (I'm a huge AT vibrato player)

- patch memory

- sub-$1000

Any recommendations?

If only the OP had given us some clue as to what he"s looking for.

:idea:

But no aftertouch or patch memory.

Had one of this when they was released, and a chart with me on stage for my patches. A bit of a nightmare :facepalm:

Yes, it doesn't have either of those. I just thought I'd throw it out there because it sounds so freakin' great. I thought maybe someone might be willing to forego the lack of aftertouch or patch memory.

Indeed. The OP has been thoughtful to provide his ideal and it"s components. We can help by alerting him to tensions between components of his ideal, alternatives within his ideal or alternatives near to his ideal. He may further clarify what is ideal, revise some of his views, re-assert his ideal, add other components, etc. It can be a fruitful non-linear dialog.

Here's a thought experiment. Supposing there is only one mediocre synth on the planet which completely meets his initial 'specification' and several desirable synths which come close. Have we met his needs if we (being literalist) mention only the one synth?

BTW, (To the OP) does the synth need to be new?

If it please the court I would like to state for the record that I posted while in the midst of preping for today's colonoscopy. This too got away from me. :sick::ohmy:

But yeah, point taken. I just thought some of the suggestions were getting far off track. No worries and thanks for keeping me on track.

Hey, thanks for all the recommendations, it"s a lot to take in. Understand that this is probably not going to be an immediate purchase, I got to get my finances in order before I make the jump. I don"t mind some brainstorming and off track-ness. And I have some flexibility. I suspect AT is going to limit my options, many smaller controllers don"t provide it, and few vintage subtractives included it (not sure when the first AT keybed was made). I could probably learn mod wheel vibrato better, but I"ve always used AT keybeds and developed my style around AT vibrato, particularly because I"m often playing bass/chords in the left hand. It"s important but maybe not a deal breaker if I find something that fits.

Am I opposed to VA? Not at all. In fact, I"d take a VA with good tone and one-nob-per-function workflow over a true analog with contextual controllers. I"ve been on software for too long, and I really want a hands-on board. A small part of me even would like to go Patch-memory-less, but I think that would be a bad idea for heavy live use.

To answer a comment, nope Covid didn"t get me... but I do have it. I seem to be largely asymptomatic so far, but it"s a little scary. The down side is I was thinking of borrowing my buddy"s Sub37 for a test drive, and that"s out of the question for a while.

Gonna take a good look at the Pro3, I hadn"t really had my eye on that one.