Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - George Cables at Smalls

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That whole lineup are top tier NYC musicians Joe Farnsworth, George Cables, Eric Alexander, Peter Washington.

I've got today show going on with vibes player Steve Nelson. I remember going to hear a big name artist a couple years ago and Steve Nelson was in the band I left liking Steve more than the name artist.

I sure hope some of you join the Smalls Foundation it helps to pay the musicians who play Smalls and gives you access to the Small video archive with years of performances from both Smalls and Mezzrow.

. There are many great young piano players but it's special to see someone with so much gig experience for so many years.

Agree. No offense to the very fine Xers and Mills keeping the flame going and exploring new avenues ....but listening to George and others from that generation and older, still playing at a high level -- I simply have a more solid connection with their playing and music. 75...damn! How many people are still playing their a** off at that age !

And the third tune- You stepped out of a dream- another Dexter favorite. Must be an unsaid tribute to him of sorts.

The Open Studio Tuesday Night Listening Sess' was perfect example of what you're talking about last night they listen to Ahmad Jamel Live at the Pershing. Such great example of playing and leaving space and use of high register of the piano and the whole band swinging their butts off. These listening sessions are on YouTube tues nights at 5pm PST. The focus isn't always piano players but great just like being back in music school and hanging with friends listening to an album and talking about it.