Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things that make you go... huh?

p90jr

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not know there even was such a thing. I don't know why you would need a small low powered amp for an acoustic guitar. But, that's just my opinion, and since there appears to be a market for these things, there are other people who do not share my opinion.
I rock; therefore, I am.

I can see having a small acoustic amp. The only time I play my acoustics unplugged is when I'm at home by myself. My guitars do not have the volume to keep up with other instruments like my granddaughter's violin, banjos, 12 strings, etc. A little volume boost would be welcomed. I run 10-50 nickel strings the same as my electrics which accounts for a little decrease in volume. I bring my battery powered amp to acoustic jams with buds along with my mic. I play plugged in and sing, so having an amp is quite helpful. Also my acoustic nylon string guitars sound much better amplified with a touch of reverb. I understand real acoustic players need only a mic to be heard at open mics, but most of the guys/gals plug in their acoustic guitars. But, I understand those with different views. I play more electric than acoustic but I like using the same strings and gauges on all my guitars (except for the nylons). Anyway, just a few thoughts on the subject... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Yeah. Crazy loco gatos are addicted verb, delay and other effects. Hell I don"t plug in my solid bodies at home. That little Tonewood amp that mounts on the back of your acoustic is pretty wild.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I don't understand the mini acoustic amp thing unless you are playing a Yamaha Silent Guitar, and how many people have one of those and don't have a regular acoustic?

My duh moment came today. 5 years ago I bought one of those Strats with the personality card function on sale during Sweetwater Geearfest. It has been in the closet since. Today I got curious and pull up a few YouTube videos on it. They all mention that it should have come with 3 personality cards and a case that will hold up to six? ... Huh? Mine didn't. It only had the one card that was inserted. No case. No extra cards. ... Arrrrgggggg. I guess five years later it is too late to call Sweetwater and say "Hey! I'm missing something!"

The funny thing is how some of those videos were praising the personality card concept, calling it the future of guitar, and gushing about how big it would be. A year later, Fender dropped the concept and sold them off. I guess that is why Sweetwater was selling them at 33 percent off during Gearfest. On the positive side, they have really held their value, but don't expect to find any cards for sale.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

https://reverb.com/item/34769270-fender-american-deluxe-strat-plus-personally-cards

No affiliation with seller.

I don't understand the mini acoustic amp thing unless you are playing a Yamaha Silent Guitar, and how many people have one of those and don't have a regular acoustic?

My duh moment came today. 5 years ago I bought one of those Strats with the personality card function on sale during Sweetwater Geearfest. It has been in the closet since. Today I got curious and pull up a few YouTube videos on it. They all mention that it should have come with 3 personality cards and a case that will hold up to six? ... Huh? Mine didn't. It only had the one card that was inserted. No case. No extra cards. ... Arrrrgggggg. I guess five years later it is too late to call Sweetwater and say "Hey! I'm missing something!"

The funny thing is how some of those videos were praising the personality card concept, calling it the future of guitar, and gushing about how big it would be. A year later, Fender dropped the concept and sold them off. I guess that is why Sweetwater was selling them at 33 percent off during Gearfest. On the positive side, they have really held their value, but don't expect to find any cards for sale.

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

• 1 month later...

[font:Verdana]Anyone here ever see a Skyway vibrato system out in the wild? I can't find any reviews or info, and their website's not a lot of help. Anyway, their "flexure" system uses no rear routing and supposedly has no wear points.[/font]

http://www3.alembic.com/img/inst/14341_skywayL.jpg

[font:Verdana]Anyone here ever see a Skyway vibrato system out in the wild? I can't find any reviews or info, and their website's not a lot of help. Anyway, their "flexure" system uses no rear routing and supposedly has no wear points.[/font]

I didn't read this but here you go.

https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2037-Skyway-Tremolo-review-(long)

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I didn't read this but here you go.

https://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2037-Skyway-Tremolo-review-(long)

[font:Verdana]thank you[/font] ðð

Your welcome, there was also a conversation on Gear Page regarding the "best vibrato system" (why do people call them tremolos, that was Leo Fender being a marketing goofball).

I couldn't read that either. Just guitarists posting that they like the one they own, same old same old.

They all sound different, they all work differently and installing one on a guitar may lower it's value considerably depending on what guitar it was before you boogered it.

One of these days I'll finish up a couple of projects - a homemade Tele with the original Floyd Rose (no fine tuners) and an amazing converted Harmony with a copy of a Gretsch floating Tone Unit and a Hoyer version of the Bigsby which is much easier to restring. They couldn't sound or work more differently, both are fun.

I can't go for the cam action Kahler with the behind the nut lock, that sounded horrible, like a tone suck from Hell. Didn't work all that great either and was a total PITA. I destroyed somebody's nice old Les Paul back in the 80's because he really wanted one on that guitar. It went from sounding like a Les Paul to sounding feeble yet thin. The customer used so much distortion he didn't even notice!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.