Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

My setup resting in the band's rehearsal room.

PC4-FA-06.jpg

Currently: Kurzweil PC4, PC3X & K2000.

Novation Mininova. Roland FA-06.

IK Multimedia SampleTank 4 & Syntronik.

Previously: Korg Trinity Plus. Roland XP-80. Yamaha EX-5.

Are you using a vocoder with the extra mic?

Yes, I am using the FA's vocoder on a few songs. Sometimes to support the backing vocals, sometimes just as an effect for the fun of it.

Are you using a vocoder with the extra mic?

Yes, I am using the FA's vocoder on a few songs. Sometimes to support the backing vocals, sometimes just as an effect for the fun of it.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you use the vocoder to support backing vocals? What tones do you use? :)

If you don't mind me asking, how do you use the vocoder to support backing vocals? What tones do you use? :)

It was an idea I got from a rig rundown video with Spike Edney.

But the results I have achieved so far has been... mixed.

By using an ensemble-type vocoder (string sound as carrier) at moderate volume, sometimes with a bit of a choir-sample mixed in, I can make a "synth backdrop" for the backing vocals that makes the whole thing sound bigger.

The problem: if one of the singers are just sligtly out of tune, the pitch-perfect vocoder exposes it very clearly.

It was an idea I got from a rig rundown video with Spike Edney.

But the results I have achieved so far has been... mixed.

By using an ensemble-type vocoder (string sound as carrier) at moderate volume, sometimes with a bit of a choir-sample mixed in, I can make a "synth backdrop" for the backing vocals that makes the whole thing sound bigger.

The problem: if one of the singers are just sligtly out of tune, the pitch-perfect vocoder exposes it very clearly.

Do you use on/off switches for the mics, or just leave them both hot?

The vocal mic is normally off. I switch it on for the few songs where I need it (I'm trying to keep my vocal duties to a minimum, as I'm a terrible singer).

The vocoder mic is always on, as it won't make a sound unless I have a vocoder patch active on the Roland.

The trick is to route the mic input on the Roland to the sub out rather than the main out.

The sound from the mic will still go to the vocoder effect which will be present at the main out, but the direct signal from the mic itself will mute when I switch away from the vocoder (given that I leave the sub out unconnected of course).

The vocal mic is normally off. I switch it on for the few songs where I need it (I'm trying to keep my vocal duties to a minimum, as I'm a terrible singer).

The vocoder mic is always on, as it won't make a sound unless I have a vocoder patch active on the Roland.

The trick is to route the mic input on the Roland to the sub out rather than the main out.

The sound from the mic will still go to the vocoder effect which will be present at the main out, but the direct signal from the mic itself will mute when I switch away from the vocoder (given that I leave the sub out unconnected of course).

Ok, that is really interesting and good know. Thanks!

I have installed a new flooring system into my studio from SnapLock Dance Floors. This now gives me easier access when I need wheel around to get to the hardware instruments in my collection.

They are the following: Korg BX-3 connected to a Motion Sound Pro 145, Korg OASYS 88, Korg ARP 2600 and Yamaha Motif ES 7.

For film composing, I use MOTU Digital Performer and a large collection of sample libraries that can be found at my website. Please visit: www.eclecticstudio.net/photos

Beautiful setup, Dave. What"s the keyboard on the piano?
Yamaha CP4, MainStage 3 on MacBook Pro, Hammond A102 w/ Leslie 147, Fender Rhodes Stage Mark I, Wurlitzer 200a, Roland Juno 60, Nektar T6.

I've been selling off a bunch of stuff, and after fourteen years wince the last time I did Deep Cleaning in the studio it was time to move a bunch of stuff around the upstairs room. Took the Hydra and JP-X up where they're supposed to live.

Just finished rewiring the boards. Check out the obligatory blinky lights test, aka 'softsynths don't do this' mode.

tlCclN3.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Finally able to show my rig. After moving from a HUGE place to a small house, I needed to stack my keys in stead of next to each other. After about 50 rebuilds of this corner I finally am satisfied with the setup, for now. I play the top board standing. Not in the picture: drummachine and my horns.

1294.thumb.jpg.575f0646071e94b6e8ba441d6ef6c0fe.jpg

1295.thumb.jpg.5b1f1758a2c48021734a4b3329e67af4.jpg

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

Finally able to show my rig. After moving from a HUGE place to a small house, I needed to stack my keys in stead of next to each other.

For the 1st time, I see a Viscount Legend Solo in a multikeyboard rig.

Looks great.

What are your impressions w/ the "Solo" ?

Sound, build quality, reliability and finger-to-ear connection ?

:)

A.C.

Very efficient setup and nice keys! How do you control the speakers? Is that a mixer to the right?

Thanks! All the room I have is what you see in the photo, so alas I have no room for a mixer. The red box on the right is a Focusrite audio interface that's acting as a mixer for the Legend and Rev2. The output goes to the input of the MP11SE. Monitors are connected to the TRS out of the MP11SE. The audio interface is fine for both the organ and synth, but the piano sounds aweful through it. That's why I chose this setup. It's what I have and need to work with. I would prefer a mixer, but have nowhere to put it.

Finally able to show my rig. After moving from a HUGE place to a small house, I needed to stack my keys in stead of next to each other.

For the 1st time, I see a Viscount Legend Solo in a multikeyboard rig.

Looks great.

What are your impressions w/ the "Solo" ?

Sound, build quality, reliability and finger-to-ear connection ?

:)

A.C.

One word: fabulous.

Before I bought it, I tried the Mojo 61 extensively over a period of a few weeks and wasn't thrilled about 3 things:

1. Keybed. I didn't like the Keynes on the Mojo at all. Maybe it was the board I had on loan, but the keys felt loose and rackety.

2. Shrill high end.

3. Wi-Fi connection is just too damn stupid on an instrument like this

When I returned the Mojo and sourced a Legend I could try, I was sceptic. It took a while to get used to the keybed, because it's a bit heavy, but it's rock solid. Build quality seemed ok at the time and the sound is fantastic. None of the shrillness the Mojo had in the upper registers. I finally bought it, but got a bit of a lemon. One of the connectors in the board was faulty which resulted in the left controls (CV, rotary etc) not working. I got the connector replaced and it worked for a while. Now and again, the issue pops up, especially after moving the board. I just reseat the connector and it works fine again. It sucks a little bit, but don't want to send it off to be repaired again, especially during this pandemic. Don't know when I'll get it back. It took 14 weeks last time :(

Only thing about the sound I don't like at all is the overdrive. It just sounds aweful, really. Keyclick isn't to my taste either, but that's just nitpicking. I liked the click on the Mojo better. Otherwise, it's a killer board. Nice high triggerpoin on the Keybed tot, plays like a charm.

One thing though: MIDI or controller functions are all explained in the manual, but isn't explained very clearly. Can't seem to remember them.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a very active summer of redoing my home studio with a very comprehensive performance space. Thanks for all of the advice and input.

The centerpiece of the Fantom 8 and Komplete Kontrol are deep integrated to my MacBook Pro and Logic/Mainstage setup. The right "wing" of this setup is the Nord Stage Compact and Jupiter X which can break off from the mothership for gigs (single board or dual board) and the left "wing" of this setup is the Viscount Legend Live which can travel out for a dual organ gig. The Fantom/Komplete stays in place but I can gig with the Mainstage setups and just switch from the Fantom 8 built in audio interface to the Jupiter X. The iPad tools are blue tooth connected to the Jupiter X for gigging or studio use as well.

For home use, the Fantom 8 keybed is MIDI connected to the Nord Stage to play the Nord piano/EPs through the weighted 88 hammer action of the Fantom, or I can dial up any of my VST pianos/EPs. All selectable from the control surface of the Fantom.

Not pictured: Roland AX Edge keytar and my desktop setup, which is basically lifting the laptop and Komplete Kontrol to a desk with my Adam T7V monitors, large computer monitor and interface.

1315.thumb.jpg.955093c6e92f924f484c4f8ae8662832.jpg

1316.thumb.jpg.f899b696f59a6c29125e4820b316543c.jpg

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

I have had a very active summer of redoing my home studio with a very comprehensive performance space. Thanks for all of the advice and input.

The centerpiece of the Fantom 8 and Komplete Kontrol are deep integrated to my MacBook Pro and Logic/Mainstage setup. The right "wing" of this setup is the Nord Stage Compact and Jupiter X which can break off from the mothership for gigs (single board or dual board) and the left "wing" of this setup is the Viscount Legend Live which can travel out for a dual organ gig. The Fantom/Komplete stays in place but I can gig with the Mainstage setups and just switch from the Fantom 8 built in audio interface to the Jupiter X. The iPad tools are blue tooth connected to the Jupiter X for gigging or studio use as well.

For home use, the Fantom 8 keybed is MIDI connected to the Nord Stage to play the Nord piano/EPs through the weighted 88 hammer action of the Fantom, or I can dial up any of my VST pianos/EPs. All selectable from the control surface of the Fantom.

Not pictured: Roland AX Edge keytar and my desktop setup, which is basically lifting the laptop and Komplete Kontrol to a desk with my Adam T7V monitors, large computer monitor and interface.

I dig how you've created "modular" sections of the studio to allow for removing "wing" sections for gigging without disrupting the centerpiece. That's a good lesson for me. I'm not so disciplined in organizing gear at home with that convenience in mind!