Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The NAMM 2021 is Going On??!!

In January, I said this might be my last NAMM show. I had all the clients I could handle, I knew what I needed to know from companies, and I was still not feeling well from the "it-might-have-been-corona-virus-who-knows" attack I had in December...the sickest I've EVER been. But, I didn't think it would be because a pandemic got in the way.

As to not seeing friends, yeah, that's a problem. But for the cost of going to NAMM, I could take a trip to California, rent a car, and visit all my friends there.

Well, when this is all over, yes, let's visit. That would be fun.

That sickness does not sound very fun.

Who knows, maybe I can go in Winter 2023. That's somewhat optimistic, isn't it? :D

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's indeed a no, but I don't think I'm revealing any secrets that NAMM has been entertaining the possibility for a long time. So they're not caught unprepared, and (fingers crossed) I'm hoping they pull off something that goes over well.

NAMM has changed a lot over the years. I think the current leadership really wants to do the right thing for all concerned.

Ad-blocker blocked, but I think we all knew that the live show would be cancelled. The on-line version seminars and tutorials that don't involve gear (that you don't have at home so you can follow along) like line array speakers or big consoles will probably come off OK, and there may even be a way to make them interactive. But unless they send me gear by request and let me play with it (and maybe conference with a tech rep), I'm going to miss that part, and y'all will probably miss, for the first time, my show report.

But unless they send me gear by request and let me play with it (and maybe conference with a tech rep), I'm going to miss that part...

With hardware, that's tough. Software...not so much. I bet any company would send you a time-limited NFR, if not a full one that you can evaluate - assuming a trial version isn't available already.

But another question is how much "new stuff" will there be anyway? The companies I've talked to have enough of a challenge meeting the demand for, and manufacturing, their existing hardware. When you look at online retailers, it's amazing how much stuff is out of stock, backordered, or not available for at least 90 days. I assume that's more of a concern for companies than coming up with new products, at least for now.

My understanding is that Sweetwater actually sold more gear during the virtual GearFest than the physical one. Why not? Anyone in the US could participate in the virtual one, without having to get on a plane or drive to Fort Wayne. Not to point too fine a point on it, but I feel validated about the advantage of a virtual show's ability to transcend time zones and geographical limitations. Does that make up for Mike not being able to test out gear, or me not meeting friends, and not running into SSS folks by accident? No, it doesn't. But, it offers advantages for a lot of other people. And the companies save hundreds of thousands of dollars if they don't attend, which can perhaps be spent on something that ultimately will be more beneficial to their employees, customers, or both.

Of course Anaheim won't be too happy about it, but let's face it, NAMM is not the same kind of economic engine as Disneyland.

Even without COVID-19, changes were accelerating. The pandemic just added another 20 dB of gain :)

I'll miss the social part of NAMM. I look forward to what they have in store, which I believe they will announce in a few weeks.

But unless they send me gear by request and let me play with it (and maybe conference with a tech rep), I'm going to miss that part...

With hardware, that's tough. Software...not so much. I bet any company would send you a time-limited NFR, if not a full one that you can evaluate - assuming a trial version isn't available already.

Nearly all software these days has a reasonable free trial period, but if I wanted more time or to get around limitations for a "demo" I expect that I could get a license - and indeed I've accumulated a few over the years. Thing is that I'm a hardware guy, and I don't use software the way most users do. So not only would I know how to evaluate software knowing what I do about hardware, I probably couldn't say any more about it than what has already been said by other reviewers and forum posters who use it all the time.

Back when I was writing reviews for Recording and Pro Audio Review, I had hardware coming in here - interfaces, mic preamps, a couple of mics (I don't like reviewing things where what's to evaluate is really just how it sounds on things you can try it on), consoles, interfaces, and recorders. My one software review (only posted on my web site) was of IK Multimedia's MODO Bass - because I was particularly interested in how they were doing the modeling - it was based on string mechanics - and I wanted to see how closely the harmonic content of a real and a simulated string was when you changed certain characteristics like string length, tension, and material. But this was in essence a hardware review.

My kind of review is different from most everyone else's, and I got a lot of favorable feedback from readers who appreciated the deep dive, and, from reading, learned some things that weren't in the spec sheet, manufacturer's web page, or manual.

Since I'm not longer associated with a "real" publication, relationships that I built up with manufacturers 20 years ago no longer mean much. The "guy" who would send me a unit for review doesn't know me from any of the other bloggers, so it's hard to convince them that my reviews are different, or, even if they understood that, that their customers would care.

It's hard to convince a manufacturer that a review is valuable even if the web site where it's posted gets only about 10 hits a day. It's not like Pensado's Place. I had the thought that MPN had been around long enough and was well enough known throughout the industry and user's community, and was hoping to maybe get some reputation back here, but activity in the forums, at least the ones that pertain to gear that I might review, is really pretty sparse. But, unfortunately forums are getting like that all over, unless it's social media.

But another question is how much "new stuff" will there be anyway?

A valid question. But there's older stuff that hasn't been reviewed in much technical detail. And, when I write a review, I don't just spew facts and test results, I explain why something I've chosen to write about is important, so whether the reader decides that he needs the product or not, he's come away learning something that will help him understand, perhaps, a competing product. Or just gain some knowledge.

My understanding is that Sweetwater actually sold more gear during the virtual GearFest than the physical one. Why not? Anyone in the US could participate in the virtual one, without having to get on a plane or drive to Fort Wayne.

Well, it seems that there are plenty of people who are willing to make a purchase decision based on others' experience with it, or published specs and features. And I'll grand that few are disappointed with their purchase. But then, Sweetwater, with the annual live Gearfest, has always been primarily a mail-order dealer rather than a storefront with a showroom, though they have an excellent demonstration facility for those who pay them a visit. And, I expect that their return rate on things purchased during Gearfest was probably not significantly different than year-round. Maybe a bit higher because there's bound to be some impulse buying.

Not to point too fine a point on it, but I feel validated about the advantage of a virtual show's ability to transcend time zones and geographical limitations.

That makes published marketing material available any time, but how's show time different in that respect than any other time, other than that you have a flood of available literature? Can you ask a question and get an answer immediately? (well, admittedly, at live shows, I can't always do that either)

Does that make up for like not being able to test out gear, or me not meeting friends, and not running into SSS folks by accident? No, it doesn't.

This is one of the reasons why I attend shows. It's more than the gear. It's the free dinners, too. ;)\

• 1 month later...
I can't say too much, but I caught a preview of what NAMM is planning for their "Believe in Music" week, and it's impressive. They're putting some serious work and thought behind this, and although I wasn't quite sure what to expect, now I'm really looking forward to attending the "virtual show." They've made a lot of progress in a short amount of time.

These virtual show-and-tells and panel discussions make me wish I had a big screen TV for my living room and hook it to the computer so I can lay on the couch and watch the presentations. When I'm sitting at a real computer, I just seem to drift off and start thinking about something else.

I can't say too much, but I caught a preview of what NAMM is planning for their "Believe in Music" week, and it's impressive. They're putting some serious work and thought behind this, and although I wasn't quite sure what to expect, now I'm really looking forward to attending the "virtual show." They've made a lot of progress in a short amount of time.

Anaheim is a hop, skip and jump from some of the world's most well equipped and staffed media presentation companies, it makes sense they could ramp up to a very high level quickly.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

These virtual show-and-tells and panel discussions make me wish I had a big screen TV for my living room and hook it to the computer so I can lay on the couch and watch the presentations. When I'm sitting at a real computer, I just seem to drift off and start thinking about something else.

I have one, and when stuff is on a platform like YouTube that I can watch on it, that's what I do. It's quite fun. I have a 27" iMac but like you, I tend to start doing other stuff if I'm sitting there.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Aside from music, I'm a big history buff/historian and read something about Southern California history that might be of interest to everyone who's been to NAMM:

DID YOU KNOW THE CITY OF ANAHEIM WAS FOUNDED BY MUSICIANS?

The NAMM show has taken place in the California city since January, 1976, mainly due to its favorable winter weather, proximity to the Los Angeles music industry and hotel/tourism infrastructure due to its location literally across the street from Disneyland.

But the annual music convention also happens to take place in a city founded by musicians: violinist/conductor Charles Kohler, flautist John Frohling and operatic singer John Beutler were all German immigrants who initially settled in San Francisco. Kohler started a classical music society in San Francisco which Frohling and Beutler were also members of. In 1854, the three musicians, led by Kohler, also a businessman, along with several fellow German immigrants in San Francisco, moved south to a farming area south of Los Angeles where they intended to go into business establishing vineyards as part of a burgeoning wine industry at the time. The name, which means "Ana's Home" in German, was a reference to the nearby Santa Ana river, which at the time was the main source of water for their vineyards. Some 120 years later, the town founded by three musicians has become the site of the world's largest annual gathering of music makers.

It would be insane. "Trade Show Cough" was a thing already!

NAMM could do something clever and have a "virtual" trade show based around a video chat rooms arranged by a "floor map". You could see icons of people who are in said chat rooms, click on it as see whatever live demo is happening, see icons of other people.

Different than what I've seen trade shows do recently, which is just "schedule a q&a". This would require exhibitors to have someone "on duty" during the "show hours", and it would be more free form, and in turn maybe more enticing for people who would otherwise

give it a pass, if they just do the same "Join the Q&A for the new Zonkertech Fermion Humbucker at 2:30 p.m.". You go to trade shows with a loose time frame, not a "I've got a class to go to at 11:00" mentality.

Or maybe not. People are increasingly throwing caution to the wind and being slutty with their personal lymphocyte environment, picking up a guitar handled by 100 random people I suppose doesn't bother the Median.

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

NAMM could do something clever and have a "virtual" trade show based around a video chat rooms arranged by a "floor map".

Well as I said, it will be a virtual trade show, there's no physical show. It combines a lot of the elements that make NAMM interesting, but the big difference is that it will be open for pretty much anyone who wants to watch. There will be TEC Awards, product demos, concerts, etc. They've made a lot of progress in a short period of time.