Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

URGENT - Album Recording pops and cracks ?

Hey guys, I"m at the beggining of the recording of an album and we have a problem.

I don"t think it"s coming from Gig Performer....

I"m using mostly Keyscape (threw Omnisphere 2).

There are some little pops from time to time, on the recording and in my headphones.

BUT ! When I listen directly from the headphone output of my audio interface, it is a perfect sound.

As soon as it goes threw the 'studio guy setup" and goes back into my monitoring (and headphones) there are these little pops and cracks.

My level is not at all too high, my cpu is around 15%.

Hope you have maybe ideas ?

Why is the sound perfect on the output of my audio interface but not in the studio guy setup ?

We changed jacks, DI !

Nord Electro 6D / Prophet Rev2/ Digitakt / Minilogue / Keyscape -

New video :

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keyscape is pretty CPU and resource intensive.

This can result in clicks and pops.

Here"s how Soectrasonics suggests improving that situation.

https://support.spectrasonics.net/manual/Keyscape/11/en/topic/optimization

I don"t own it to test. Can you run it stand alone without GP?

And what is your audio interface? Does it have balanced outs?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Hello,

I don't think I have Cpu problem since the headphone out sounds perfect.

It is a Scarlett 18i8 2nd gen.

I'm not sure about balanced outputs, there is just a stéréo monitor output.

New video :

GigPerformer handles Keyscape just fine, in my current experience.

I use the Focusrite (scarlett) 18i20 3rd gen.

Elmer's suggestion is good. Try running Keyscape in Standalone and see if anything changes.

Also, make sure you have the buffer set the same on your 18i8 and GP preferences.

What is your computer setup? Windows, Mac? ram amount? CPU type?

Lastly, how does the studio guy have you connected to his board for recording?

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I didn't read Elmer's link but it has been my experience that increasing the latency in the DAW will eliminate most pops and clicks.

Sometimes a small adjustment makes a big difference. The computer needs just a little more time to properly process everything.

The good news is that adjusting latency is free.

FWIW, when I am done tracking and switch to mixdown I always increase latency by about 4x. You don't hear the delay like you would when tracking but adding plugins will suck up some speed beyond any doubt.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

There are some little pops from time to time, on the recording and in my headphones. BUT ! When I listen directly from the headphone output of my audio interface, it is a perfect sound.

It seems obvious that the problem is the recording setup, not your Keyscape and Gig Performer rig. You give no details of how your studio guy is recording you but perhaps he should be the one to ask for help in a recording forum.

There are some little pops from time to time, on the recording and in my headphones.

BUT ! When I listen directly from the headphone output of my audio interface, it is a perfect sound.

As soon as it goes threw the 'studio guy setup" and goes back into my monitoring (and headphones) there are these little pops and cracks.

We changed jacks, DI !

What´s your´s and what´s the "Studio guy´s" setup ?

In fact, your sound source is a DAW setup already,- no matter if it´s the "recording DAW" or not.

You provide an analog and/or digital signal for the recording ?

Your "studio guy´s" setup is digital or analog ?

What you get back as a "monitor" signal,- is analog back into your AD/DA interface or some digital stream ?

Is the clocking double checked,- master/slave configuration,- which format ? SPDIF, ADAT, AES/EBU or is there a BNC wordclock setup in the ballpark (in the studio),- possibly using T-junction adapters ?

Many, many options to produce clicks and pops.

Much more info please.

A.C.

I suspect this is an issue with the recording setup and not yours. As an example, here"s a tedious thread I started when I was new to the forum, about a situation that"s similar. :blush:https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2830293/crackles-recording-into-cubase-ai8

My call is buffer settings at the recording computer are messed up, or there"s too much processing for the recording computer to handle. Or a less likely option, computer memory failure in the recording machine.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Hey guys

I wanted to go back to you but I am still recording and it is quite consuming (as you know !).

Hopefuly it was not a GP or mac issue, happy about that since I really did everything so that it works flawlessly.

So the studio guy just finally did another routing with another pre-amp and it worked.

Also I think he did something in order to use his main Apogee Ensemble.

I will ask him today so that I know more about what he did.

Anyway thanks a lot for your support because it was really needed !!

Hopefuly the pops and cracks are not hearable on the beggining of the recording since it was realllllyyyy quite and that it is in the middle with basse/seuls/voice.

New video :