Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Was the Kronos named after a Marvel character?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was the Triton, a Korg workstation. Also, a Greek god of the sea.

And there is Kronos, Greek god of time. Also, a Korg workstation.

1EOQCLB.jpg

Close, but no cigar. :D

Poseidon is the Greek god of the sea. Trton is his son, I believe.

...and I don't think there is a Greek god of time, per se. You may be thinking of the leader of the Titans, who was more the god of the harvest if memory serves.

I was big Greek mythology fan growing up. :idk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

There was the Triton, a Korg workstation. Also, a Greek god of the sea.

And there is Kronos, Greek god of time. Also, a Korg workstation.

1EOQCLB.jpg

Close, but no cigar. :D

Poseidon is the Greek god of the sea. Trton is his son, I believe.

...and I don't think there is a Greek god of time, per se. You may be thinking of the leader of the Titans, who was more the god of the harvest if memory serves.

I was big Greek mythology fan growing up. :idk:

dB

Fair enough, it all gets jumbled about thru the ages. Five years of Latin here, props to old school education. The annual Latin conventions were a blast (first kiss, first dance, first crush, first place in Etymology and Derivations).

As you know, the ancients had many gods and goddesses, and they were often patrons or protectors or villains of any given natural phenomena or human endeavor. And they were not exclusive. And so there any numbers of gods of the sea or harvest or fertility or sky or underworld or of the hunt or partying. E.g. Dionysus / Bacchus being patron of winemaking, ecstasy, and fertility, and madness (funny how excess in one leads to excess in the next).

Poseidon was 'the' sea god, but his son Triton was also a sea god, a messenger, a trumpeter of the sea.

More technically, Triton was the eldest of the Titans, and Cronus was the youngest. Chronos, the personification of time, has gotten mashed up with Cronus, god of seasons and harvests, and time. Both are alternately spelled Kronos.

Zeus killed his father Cronus.

Lol. Stuck in the dark without electricity during a severe thunderstorm, trying to cool off with beer on ice. Unwanted mythology lesson on iPad ensues.

/end nonsense

Maybe Korg"s next-gen Kronos killer ought to be called the Zeus.

Zeus killed his father Cronus.

The version I read (about 1/2 century ago, to be fair) said that Chronos killed Ouranos (Uranus) and then Zeus did the same to Chronos. Then, while researching my junior high (nowadays called "middle school") report, I discovered a non-children's version that said that they castrated their dads -- eew! I harmonized the two accounts by saying that Zeus "cut his dad's head off." As a result of that one report, I passed a semester of English I would otherwise have failed.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

In Hellenic Mythology (i am from Hellas), Kronos and Rea was born 9 children(6 boys and 3 girls). Kronos ate them all(except Zeus that later killed him).

Kronos workstation has 9 synth engines...

In Korg company, they know about Hellenic mythology... ;)

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

In Hellenic Mythology (i am from Hellas), Kronos and Rea was born 9 children(6 boys and 3 girls). Kronos ate them all(except Zeus that later killed him).

Ok I think this explanation wins the prize :thu:

Also - word is the next Korg workstation is the Uranus ;)

Poseidon was 'the' sea god, but his son Triton was also a sea god, a messenger, a trumpeter of the sea.

:thu:

Chronos, the personification of time, has gotten mashed up with Cronus, god of seasons and harvests, and time. Both are alternately spelled Kronos.

I know it! Way goofy.

Don't mind me - I wasn't looking to correct as much as I was digging the idea of geeking out on mythology. :D

dB

Ok I think this explanation wins the prize :thu:

Also - word is the next Korg workstation is the Uranus ;)

IIRC, Cronus mangled Uranus pretty badly with a scythe. :eek::hider:

dB

Can't wait for the new Yamaha Gyros arranger workstation!

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I have a soft spot in my heart for Kronos, Leader of the Four Horsemen from the Highlander series. Kronos, Methos, Caspian, and Silas .... I think.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I say it was named after the next high-end Korg executive whose name began with a K. He's still a salary-man, but it was his turn.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Chief Dan G nailed it:

512VTRED38L.jpg

Loaded with cheeze, but for a 6 year old kid in 1957 this was great stuff. A Bell 47 and a Boeing B47 in the same movie, but the F100 Super Sabre with the bomb bay hatch was bogus.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I always enjoy reading the assumed deep logic and thought that goes into naming products. A task that I despised across my many years in the business... not because it can't be creative and fun, but because you can never get a diverse group of company staff and distributors to agree on anything! I love good names, as opposed to alphabet + number soup.

I was deeply involved in naming Korg products from 1997 up through the Kronos. Often, the task would begin with a simple chosen assumption:

Triton - the successor to the Trinity and I wanted it to start with a T again. We gathered ideas from every sort of discipline imaginable, some logically related to the word Trinity, others from... wherever. Mythology won out, but not for any meaning related to the sea etc. It was just a strong word that spoke well. In fact, I forbid the ad agencies from trying to make any advertising/marketing related to the God of the Sea. Too corny...

M3 as a successor to Triton seems like a strange turn, and it was. Someone powerful in Japan wanted to make it the M2, the second coming of the M1. Nostalgia, pride, who knows? My only success was to convince them to make it 3, not 2, so it wasn't such a "too late to the party" attempt to leverage the M1. And I made sure that we didn't draw any comparisons... or at least too many direct ones.

Jumping ahead to the Kronos, as a succesor to the OASYS we didn't want to name it based on OASYS again... and by that time I had been pushing hard for using K in naming and such, perhaps my corny sense of playing off the company name (although I was often accused of trying to get my name involved as well!). KAOSS Pad... (Karma doesn't count, since that was Stephen Kay's technology name, but it fit within that concept, so... win/win). So looking for K names in all the various places we again came to mythology. And it is a great, strong name. But the various direct meanings had no bearing - remember that Chronos doesn't count, no K. In fact, the various ugly elements of the Greek god's story came up as a reason not to use it. Until I showed the various members involved how many Greek companies used the name for beauty products, food and more. The majority of the public doesn't read the same sense that "there must be a meaning" behind a name.

Funny aside, the first pre-production prototypes came in from Japan with the front panel screened... Chronos. I still have mine. The engineer in charge of the silk-screen design looked up the name and thought that was what we meant. Guess they didn't get the memo!

And yes, someone on the voting panel rejected the name out of hand because of the cheesy 50's sci-fi movie. Said we'd be a laughingstock.

My opinion is that almost any name, once used enough, and repeated becomes comfortable and accepted. If we can all fondly remember and discuss the characteristics of the 1176 in our industry and it is accepted, then any name that is not downright silly, ugly, profane or hard to pronounce will work itself into the vernacular over time.I think Kronos worked out well.

Karma doesn't count, since that was Stephen Kay's technology name.

He called it that when he brought it to you guys? When he showed it to us at Alesis he was calling it Sorceror, so I always guessed that it was Korg who turned it to KARMA for the alliterative. Not so?

dB

Karma doesn't count, since that was Stephen Kay's technology name.

He called it that when he brought it to you guys? When he showed it to us at Alesis he was calling it Sorceror, so I always guessed that it was Korg who turned it to KARMA for the alliterative. Not so?

dB

It was his naming... Kay Algorithmic Real-time Music Architecture. I can"t remember if it was called that in the first demo he showed me (he and Athan were working together at IVL at the time). But it was him, not us (Korg) for sure. Great name... and fit in with my alliterative preference!

I like this explanation better than the real one.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I like this explanation better than the real one.

:yeahthat::cheers: