Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer CS-80 is officially coming.

I'd be certain that Behringer has some of the lowest manufacturing costs in the industry - less than ASM for sure.

I'm not so sure Behringer's costs are lower. I believe ASM has some affiliation with Medeli, another low cost manufacturer.

Well, there is a $500 difference between an ASM Hydrasynth desktop and the keyboard version. So for Medili, its only $500 retail for a 49 note poly-AT keyboard, making it likely $125 of actual build cost given typical 4x COGS "back of the napkin" estimates.

Medeli's annual turnover is around $50M. Behringer is about $81M, making them broadly comparable.

I think the point still stands that if ASM can produce a poly AT keyboard for a $1300 synth, Behringer is capable of doing so for the same price or less.

I think we are going to find in the next several years that making keyboards poly-AT is not that big of a deal - it just isn't something the market demanded, and that once it does, it isn't CS-80 expensive to do so.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK My mom said I could only have one more clone.

CS80, OBxa, or Arp 2600?

And I have to tell her why.....

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

OK My mom said I could only have one more clone.

CS80, OBxa, or Arp 2600?

And I have to tell her why.....

Ha ha! From your gear list, I'd have to ask: do you feel more of a need for a classic poly or a more deeply experiment-friendly semi-modular? We all know what a 2600 can do as a filter bank or middling nerve center for other modular gear. It shines there, whereas despite its nice round voice, its not the end-all soloing synth.

The OB is much-improved as software recently, whereas the pending clone (IIRC) retains issues like the oscillator full-on/one-half/off design. In that case, it depends on what you want an OB to do. That's too faithfully vintage for me, personally. It doesn't lend itself to much stylistic range (IMO) because it was unapologetically a Big American Balls 80s synth. Tom's recent Two-Voice w/patchbay and OB-6 are far more up-to-speed.

The CS80, if done even halfway right, has a noted poly sound, but can also be a creditable monosynth. Unless you "need" a 2600 as part of the giant mixer that IS any studio, the CS80 covers the most bases. People think "Blade Runner" too easily when its capable of a lot more. So buy that one and tell your mom its because I said so.

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"