Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Post your worst keyboard load in stories

OK...I"ve got to go back to 1982 or 1983?... played a gig on Saltaire, Fire Island, NY. I had a ton of gear...DynoMyRhodes 73, Oberheim 8 voice, Crumar T2 Dual manual organ, Korg MS-20, Peavey Guitar Amp and Yamaha PA cabinet. That was just me plus the rest of the band. We had to take a water taxi to play the gig and obviously a water taxi back. A nasty storm came up as we were packing up. Not sure if the water taxi would pick up or not, they did. At first, I was protective of my gear, most importantly, my Oberheim modular 8 voice. Halfway across I went from protecting my gear to praying for my life. The good folks at GDS (remember the Synergy synth?) repaired the keyboard action and electronics on my Oberheim after the damage from that gig.

I wish I had kept the Oberheim 8 voice.

https://fireisland.com/towns/saltaire-fire-island/

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This wasn't that bad a load-in but there was a major issue with my gear.

1984 - My band was playing at the top floor of the World Trade Center in Baltimore. However we had to park in the underground garage and take the service elevator.

Like other stories we had to deal with the caterers hogging the elevators which slowed things down.

But the main issue was my gear was in the trunk of an old 1970 Dodge Coronet. It picked that day for the trunk lock to break so my 3 keyboards were locked in the back and due to their size in cases they couldn't be brought through the back seat. So I was cussing F-bombs loud and clear which reverberated throughout the garage quite nicely.

Our drummer secured a crowbar from somewhere and we proceeded to pry the trunk open. We got it opened but put a big dent in my Mini-Korg synth in the process. Fortunately it was solid metal on that side of it and it worked fine.

We managed to set up in time and gig went quite well and we received a lot of compliments through our agency.

I guess the scariest load-out was packing up our gear during a gun fight a block away in Curtis Bay, Baltimore back in 1981. We went very quickly!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

At one time I had a B3 and Leslie in road cases. The B in its case would not fit through the door of most clubs we played. Had to take it out of its case in the truck, and schlep it in by hand. So, the case was basically a car-seat for the organ.

Professional musician = great source of poverty.