Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbies, pedals, and guitar variety?

RABid

The more I study about pedals and sound, the more I find that guitar makes a big difference. Single coil Strats and humbucker Les Pauls can have a big affect on how a pedal sounds. A pedal and amp combination that sounds great with a Strat may sound horrible with a Les Paul. So, in your opinion, should a beginner who is just learning about pedals and sound stick with one guitar and really learn the sound, or dive right in and play a variety of guitars?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I play a variety of guitars, I have 3 of them these days, two with hum-bucking pickups, and one with Fender Vintage noiseless single coils. I make up the difference of the pickups with a Boss Blues Driver. I use the Blues Driver only for the single coil guitar, I set the gain knob to zero, the level up above half way for boost, and the tone control down to get the Strat sound nearer to the natural sound of the hum-bucking pickup equipped guitars. An EQ pedal could do the same. I use only one of the three guitars in a daily practice session which includes a 45 minute set of my homemade backing tracks to play against. So on Strat day the Boss Blues Driver is kicked in. on the other days it is kept off.....

Anything you change, changes everything.

Sometimes it matters.

Sometimes it does not.

Sometimes it's better.

Sometimes it is worse.

I've used active (EMG) pickups since the late 80's. They don't hum, they don't get "loaded down" by pedal chains (although some pedals just suck tone away, the only cure is to not use them) and the low magnetic field improves intonation and sustain.

For at least the last 6-8 years my go-to is one of three things - a Gibson ES-335 with an EMG HB in the neck and an 81 in the bridge - the 81 is lowered to match volume and improve tone. Or, one of two Fender style screwdriver guitars - a Strat with two SA (no middle pickup) and an EMG SPC (this is a mid boost control) or a Tele with an EMG Tele pickup set (Alnico) and an SPC. 90 percent of the time I am using the neck pickup, if I need to cut through the band I will switch to the middle position. I never use the bridge pickup by itself.

Everybody is different, I am not here to argue. All I can tell you is what I do.

I can get a great sound out of any of my amps, they are all different. A few pedals make no difference, switching guitars on stage makes no difference.

It works great with the people I am playing with so I'm happy. When you are gigging it is more fun (for me) if I can just play and not worry about where the knobs should be turned now.

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I would stick with one guitar and amp, unless I already owned a few different models. Learn to sound good and find your sound/tones on what you have. Then add a pedal or two once you find the sound/tone/genre you like best. If you have to buy another guitar with different pickups, body style, etc., start saving for it. Find a guitar that has good action and that you find easy to play and get along with. The amp can make a big difference too. Again, go with what you have to work with and start saving if you think you will be needing something different. Many amps have effects built in to get started with.

OK, so I would go in this generally most to least expensive order 1). guitar 2). amp 3). pedal but before any of them I would work on my ability to play the guitar. Most of the sound/tone that you will acquire will come from your fingers and your ability to play the instrument. Chet Atkins got tired of hearing how good his guitar sounded, so when a fan would walk up and say "that sure is a great sounding guitar" he would stop playing it and ask "how does it sound now?"

Many pedals sound good and do not care if it's a SS Strat/Tele or a HB LP/335. Reverb, Delay, Mod, Comp, Dist, OD, etc., can all sound good. Some will sound better depending on the guitar and amp you run them with and some will sound better with SS or HB pups. It's all a fun experience and your tastes will change over the years. I stopped using pedals and only need my comp set for a clean boost for leads/rhythm. Get the best sound without the pedal, then stomp it in. There is a reason they are called stomp boxes and have an on/off switch. If you are a one trick pony and never turn it off just make adjustments on the guitar and amp till you find your sweet spot. Good luck and have fun with it! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Well, one problem is I have collected for years, but just now started getting serious. My main is a Jeff Beck Strat which I love. But I have been rotating an Ibanez, PRS, and Gibson Les Paul. Thinking maybe it is time to put the other guitars in the closet.

In my experience, the amp is the ice cream in your tonal sundae. Pedals and rack effects- plus studio wizardry, if we"re honest- are the sprinkles, nuts, fudge, etc. The guitar is the cherry in top.

BUT...

The guitar is the ergonomic key to EVERYTHING. You can have the best signal chain you can imagine, but if you don"t like the way a guitar feels in your hands, against your body? Your performance is doomed.

Or to put it differently, I feel the guitar is the least important factor in how you sound, but the most important factor in how you play.

(Full disclosure: owner of 30 guitars, at least 45 pedals, and 2 amps.)

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

... I feel the guitar is the least important factor in how you sound, but the most important factor in how you play.

(Full disclosure: owner of 30 guitars, at least 45 pedals, and 2 amps.)

My Fender Strat is my most comfortable, and thus, my best playing guitar. My nice Ibanez, which is more expensive, seems to fight me. I think it is the finish on the back of the neck. Something about it that I don't like. I don't know if it truly impedes me, or just distracts me. I keep playing it, hoping to get used to it. Strange since it is supposed to be a shredder's guitar, and I would think, faster. But it slows me down and I don't know why. The difference between those two really rings in your quote.

I have had similar experiences with certain guitars or even brands.

For instance, while there have been several guitars I liked the looks and sound of, I"ve never bought a Fender. Lots of clones in my possession or on my GAS list, though. It has nothing to do with the build quality or $$$$, either.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

My nice Ibanez, which is more expensive, seems to fight me. I think it is the finish on the back of the neck. Something about it that I don't like. I don't know if it truly impedes me, or just distracts me. I keep playing it, hoping to get used to it. Strange since it is supposed to be a shredder's guitar, and I would think, faster. But it slows me down and I don't know why. The difference between those two really rings in your quote.

Several potential factors here. The Strat may be set up perfectly for your needs. The Ibanez may require tweaking to suit your preferences - sometimes subtle changes make big differences and other times things can be pretty out of whack. Truss rod adjustment needs to be checked, the frets need to be level, the action at the nut may need to be adjustet.

Jeff Beck started out in the Yardbirds playing a 50's Fender. Those have fat necks, something he specified for his signature model.

The Ibanez shredder guitars have much slimmer necks measured from the crown of the fretboard to the peak of the curve on the back of the neck.

It may be different width across the nut and the string spacing at the bridge may also be different, in other words - the spacing of the strings up and down the neck could be different.

The frets are probably different, the Ibanez has super jumbo frets, which require a relaxed, more subtle touch than smaller frets.

The finish is almost certainly a different type of compound and may also be buffed out differently. If everything else checks out and you like the shape, size and feel of the the Ibanez neck then this could be an easy fix.

It might simply be the glossy finish on the back of the neck makes your hand stick instead of sliding easily. You can probably find something like this locally: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m-gray-scotch-brite-ultra-fine-pad-07448/22980936-p

You can use steel wool instead, I would recommend the 000 or 0000 grade but ALWAYS cover your pickups completely with masking tape before using steel wool on the finish. Otherwise you will have tiny steel hairs all over your pickups. 3M Scotch-Brite is plastic and will not cause that problem. In any case, you can try knocking of the gloss on the finish. A matte finish will reduce the friction and make it much easier to slide your hand up and down the neck. If that's all it is, you got lucky. I would have a tech check it out before doing that since it will be easier to sell and bring more $$$ if you leave everything the way it came from the factory.

I consider guitars to be experiements, I can't tell you how many I've owned because I thought they might be really cool and now they are somebody else's fun. Dozens or possibly in the hundreds. Some truly fine instruments too, I had a 1970 Martin D-35 since 1974 and about 7 years ago I sold it because I only wanted to play my Rainsong OM 1000. I don't have any regrets, the Rainsong simply ate it's lunch in all respects.

So your other option is to sell the guitars that you don't bond with and either try something different or play the one that makes you smile. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.