Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

old Hammond XK-1 - worth it?

That's the link to Oz eBay...$795 aussie, not sure if it's worthit or should I look at later models, 2 and 3?

EDIT: Cannot find how to create a link that is not three lines long, haha! so just views in general on this model will do.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the link to Oz eBay...$795 aussie, not sure if it's worthit or should I look at later models, 2 and 3?

EDIT: Cannot find how to create a link that is not three lines long, haha! so just views in general on this model will do.

About $550 usd. Pretty decent. The xk2 is older and not good without a vent. The models dont follow 1 2 3 in order. They jump around and add a C here and there.

FunMachine.

Hey miden

If you are looking for a reason to deflate that gas i looked it up and it is $1050 AUD a buy it now listing.

Dont know if they changed their advert from when you saw it. Pickup only

As its located in Victoria and the Covid Lockdown is in stage 4 anyone caught picking it up will be fined between $1600 to $10000 depending on what the police constabulary think is appropriate. Currently people not wearing masks are being fined huge amounts and those caught on the streets without good reason the same. I don't think the relieving of GAS will be tolerated. Basically a buyer cannot pick it up

Well we are of the convict blood and the sins of the fathers etc.......hee hee

Edit: oh bugger i thought it was an XK2 and the above applies to an XK2 sorry on ebay. You see so few of either on there i assumed thered only be one. I see the XK1 and its cheap freight of $50 so your gas is back on.

Ok now i found the correct one.

To deflate your gas

1. Its looks knocked around badly so Its had a hard life.

2. It looks like it may be a pawn shop ebay site. So stuff comes and goes without any love. This is an assumption with the 2 business cards placed in full view on it and their other items.

3. Its in WA so i have an inkling you are on the east coast. For the overseas people thats the equivalent of across your country. So you can't test it. But it has cheap freight.

Helping to deflate the gas as i think thats what you are hinting at.

To keep the analogy would buying be the equivalent of ...."Oh the humanity"

I owned and sold an XM2 (XK1 in a rack mount ). The sound was harsh (even w/a Vent) and the C/V (specifically the chorus) was horrible. The internal leslie sim was not good. It was like a boat, the 2nd best day was when I acquired it and my best day was when I sold it.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If it helps look at the back panel there are 3 replaced set screws near the power supply so its been opened at one time. Other side is not pictured. There is severe corrosion on top panel which may indicate long storage not in a cosy studio or music room. The obvious is the battered wood from gigging a lot. The corrosion may indicate a beer spill but thats speculating or simply damp storage.

If it was close things are worth a look. All can be assessed on inspection and a roughie if cheap may be acceptable to the purveyer.

Edit just noticed its states no local pickup. So no one could test it in person. Looking at the large list of stuff they have sold they have good feedback.

Thanks AK - haha, yeah I knew about the Vic thing - almost impossible unless it's a major storefront. Thanks to you and also Dave for the heads up on it. Think I'll give it a big miss. Trying to find an affordable 61 note organ second tier board. Not having much luck really :(

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

The xk1 sounds better than the xm2. I've had both side by side. The xk1 sounds almost as good as the xk3c. I have both although in storage out of state. I had the xk2 as well. And the xm1. These were good for their time but have beat oscillation and terrible CV and leslie. Good through a vent though .

I don't know why the xm2 is so bad. It shouldn't be. But it is.

FunMachine.

thanks Moe, down under, not so easy haha! But thanks - at least now I know the lowest model number to go for :)

The Hammond XK model numbers do not follow a chronological sequence: the XK2 was introduced in 1999 and was followed by the XK3 (2004) and XK1 (2005), then these were replaced by the XK3c (2007) and XK1c (2013) respectively.

I've owned an XK1, XK3c, and XK1c, and they were all OK for their time, each sounding a bit better than the one before, although I was not happy with the chorus vibrato, and they all sounded better through a Ventilator. I currently have a Viscount Legend Solo, which is very good. If I were buying a single-manual clonewheel today I would go for a MAG C1.

Thanks Paul, I'll check it out.

Edit: haha thanks but at near $5k down here it can stay there ;)

One thing to keep in mind is that the XK-1 is no longer supported for repairs by Hammond, they have no parts in stock and will do nothing whatsoever to repair it if it fails. I have an XK-1 that had the master volume pot go out a few years ago. Should have been an easy repair, but the pot they used is made of the purest unobtainium.

I thought the XK-1 through a ventilator sounded really good, the onboard drive of the XK imho sounds better than that of the XK-1c I replaced it with, for really overdriven rock sounds.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

The xk1 keybed is pretty good. If the sliders could be mapped to b3x and maybe a korg nanokontrol for the percussion and CV you'd have a nice feeling setup.

Yeah, I was using the XK1 as a bottom manual for my XK-1c for a while, and it was a nice setup. I'd almost say the XK-1 keyed feels better than the XK-1c. Then a Crumar Mojo fell into my life, and it's become my goto Hammond clone.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Nah, I left that one. Still looking for something. Might even use a small controller and the iPad??