Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bored? discoDSP OB-xd VST 2.0, free download

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up OB-Xd early in quarantine, and it fast became one of my most-used software synthesizers, just in time for me to do synth overdubs on a few folks" quarantine projects!

My 2014 MacBook just bit the dust, but as soon as it"s replaced, I will be giving 2.0 a spin without a doubt.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

IMO, Synapse Audio's Obsession (@ just $99) is the OB emulator to beat. I'm enjoying Pigments quite a bit, so I'm basically pro-Arturia, but in this case, I think that Obsession checks off more of the modernizing features I see as the biggest step(s) up.

I don't know if its just a mix of COVID boredom, nostalgia & GAS or a genuine draw to the root OB sound, but the creative SA demo says their angle on it has the right lushness. As my mind fades slowly into the sunset, a beefy synth I can casually MESS with like an iPad gem has some odd appeal. :thu:

"Why can't they just make up something of their own?"
           ~ The great Richard Matheson, on the movie remakes of his book, "I Am Legend"

https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/#home

Free to try, accepting a $49 donation if you like and use.

After some installation problems caused by antivirus software*,- I got the update running in latest Reaper, Studio One Pro v4.x and Reason 10.x / 11.3 versions and on my Win7 Pro SP1 x64 DAW.

I loaded VST3 and VST2x64 and surprisingly it responded flawlessly to MIDI PrgCh commands.

That´s absolutely rare, at least for VST3.

That didn´t work in Tracktion 7 though,- but I don´t care much.

AFAIK, in Reason, MIDI PrgChanges in general don´t work,- so I didn´t try...

I´m irritated, the x64 standalone version doesn´t allow to choose ASIO instead of Windows Audio or Direct Sound,- really annoying !

So, I de-installed the standalone version and use Tone2 nanohost as alternative.

* the antivirus issue was,- Avast latest application update didn´t allow the installer "overwriting" supposedly already existing files,- the english and japanese OBX-d manuals and some others in "user documents" folder. :facepalm:

Well, these files weren´t existing at all ... :confused: ... because I already de-installed the old version and deleted leftover folders after I´ve read´, DiscoDSP updated preset banks, being located in this folder, too.

Nonetheless, when I deactivated antivirus, all went well.

This is still a great plugin ! :like:

A.C.

I've had the older version for quite a while, but it doesn't get used much...Diva and Repro just sound so good, and I'm not chasing a particular Oberheim sound.

I'll still probably get this. I just found on a recent project that less is more sometimes...I have SO MANY plugins, but when the producer person asks me for tweaks, I don't know any of them like the back of my hand. :D

I've had the older version for quite a while, but it doesn't get used much...Diva and Repro just sound so good, and I'm not chasing a particular Oberheim sound.

Oberheim sound or not,- I´m picky on (MIDI-) functionality,- hardware or software.

I don´t get why virtual instruments don´t respond to MIDI PrgCH. commands.

It´s an absolute dealbreaker for me.

Why in the world,- when I use something for recording,- is it so difficult to use it in a mixed rig of hardware and software, p.ex. for layering purpose or such.

Uhe, Arturia ... when 64Bit and/or VST3,- you´ll have to use the "MIDI-" or "User-" bank, pre-select patches and collect, then put in right order ... just only for making the plugin usable w/ MIDI like hardware is used since stone ages.

Damn ... why do I have to use bank/program lists and/or preset up/down arrows for all the other patches and instead of MIDI bank change and program change commands ?

I really hate !

Not enough,- Sonic Projects (OP-X Pro II) explained VST3 isn´t able to respond to MIDI PrgChanges at all and if I want, I´d still have to use the 32Bit VST2 version,- but that´s only possible in Reaper (which comes w/ the very best 32Bit bridge out there) when you don´t want j-bridge or such.

OB-Xd shows,- IT IS POSSIBLE !

That alone makes it a great plugin for me and even OP-X Pro II is much more sophisticated and Arturia SEM is a different animal I like.

But,- as a 1st owner of a well maintained and very good working US made Oberheim Xpander, my main interest is to combine,- and not to decide for the software OR the hardware.

OP-X Pro II was always my prefered plugin, using together w/ my Oberheim Xpander and (also perfect and reliable working and modded w/ int. PSU ) Oberheim XK,- but 64Bit and VST3 unfortunately killed that combo for the time being.

OB-Xd is welcome now !

I'll still probably get this. I just found on a recent project that less is more sometimes...

so true !

I have SO MANY plugins, but when the producer person asks me for tweaks, I don't know any of them like the back of my hand. :D

That´s the main problem w/ too many plugins ...

You´ll always try to just only find the right preset from library delivered.

OTOH, you don´t have a real chance finding the right plugins for YOU w/o checkin´ out almost everything.

But that costs a lifetime meanwhile.

I remember, on my Win XP DAW, there were about 1.5k plugins installed, commercial and freebies ...

I also remember, from late 70s ´til late 90s,- I got all (and well payed !!!) jobs done w/ some straightforward and carefully selected collection of hardware, a tight MIDI sequencer software running on an ancient computer offering a tight MIDI interface "out of the box" and a hardware recorder (what I owned or what was available in studios).

Meanwhile, when it comes to software, I try to shrink it as much as I can.

It´s much too time consuming the older I get and I still learn new hardware much faster and easier than software.

My,- meanwhile old,- eyes (wearing glasses) simply don´t like looking at bad designed GUIs, especially not looking at several of ´em cluttering the screen.

And when there are many, they are tiny.

Editing VAST on a PC3 is much easier for my eyes (and when wearing glasses) than editing/programing in software.

Long time usability of software UIs hardly depends on which colors, fonts, contrast and size are used,- and manufacturers make so many mistakes in that regard.

Looking hip and fashion is what counts.

Anyway ...

With software, I don´t program myself much,- w/ hardware, I do always !

:)

A.C.

I can see the hassle in mixing hardware in. I opted to go all-in with software--this despite loving hardware synths and keyboards and still using them live--but the advantages are pretty major. No program changes, heck no midi cables, channels or multi-timbral programming needed. No audio cabling or signal flow. No sysex. Outboard fx all on dropdowns and buses, no fx sends and rack gear to program. If I want to work on a different song, I open my project and it's ready in seconds.

I spent many years working/playing with hardware and wrestling with all that stuff (especially the limitations of multitimbral modes on some synths) and I don't think I can go back :)

That said, my music space sure is underwhelming, looks like an office other than that one controller keyboard! :D Sure doesn't compete with a room full of outboard gear, which is certainly inspiring.