Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat Knobs that send MIDI cc......

uhoh7

Just to be clear I don't want a "MIDI guitar". I don't need a pickup of any kind.

I'm running the strat into my Virus TI, made by Kemper of profiler fame. The TI has stompboxes and all kinds of fantastic effects, which work incredible with the Strat. Except one thing: I need to reach over and change settings, all of which are accessible via DIN midi.

I always thought an area where MIDI guitar could have real potential would be NOT using it to play notes, but to control effects. In other words, effects parameters could change depending on which notes you played, note velocities, and bending. Just having EQ track notes could be pretty cool, and varying LFO speeds for choruses and such, or delays for doubling, with velocity...you get the idea.

Sort of like that, but way simpler. Right now any decent controller will do it. I can get a FCB1010 foot controller and it's fine. But why?

The Strat already has 3 knobs, which could be dual function sending midi cc as well as current functions, and a few buttons to both send MIDI and determine the use of each knob, IE 1) normal 2) MIDI only 3) normal + midi. Then a DIN midi out on the body.

This way you need no foot control at all, and you have access to all your stompbox emulations right on the body of the Guitar. Then you ar not tied to a fixed control location. Seems like a no-brainer but I kind find any.

A guitarwing, except pots instead of pads would work as well.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PS this guy sort of did it I think:

[video:youtube]

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what happened to livid instruments?

I was thinking to try a guitar wing, but on their own forum it seems they are MIA......

Thanks guys/women

My total MIDI for guitars experience is that I have a Fishman Triple Play installed on one of my Teles.

Not your topic, I get what you want to do but I don't really know much that is helpful.

The wireless aspect works well, not sure if it could translate to MIDI commands for effects or how you would make it not do that when you didn't want it.

Triple Play is fun in the studio but I would never use it live. Can be a bit glitchy triggered.

I suppose that could be a style - GlitchPunk or something...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thank you for the kind reply.

It's interesting the guitar has not become a great midi controller, and the result is we have two very distinct worlds: guitars in all their variety and the little analog synths they love--the stomp boxes--- of all descriptions; and the mostly keyboard world of big synths.

Ironically Kemper, the synth king, has lost interest in his masterpiece, the Virus TI, and reigns with much of the same technology in the Kemper profiler in the guitar world.

It seems the FCB1010 is in high demand as a controller for his rig, with a special chip available.

The guitar wing has a cool interface, but it's bluetooth and needs a computer. I would be happy with that interface and a MIDI DIN, instead of BT, with easy programabilty of the sort you see on many simple MIDI devices.

As with synths the analog originals are best, but a well done "VA" is no slouch in the world of sound.

Anyway, I'm surprised a DIN version like the wing has not been kickstarted. Many uses for a guitarist who also loves hardware synths, and sequencers. Pedals are cool but fixed in location. On of the many unique aspects of electric guitar is mobility.

I recently bought my first one, just a monoprice HSS. I can't believe I waited so long (34 years with pianos and keyboards in my house) to get one. So fun and so much nuance. The new tricks I need to make my hands do are helping my keyboard playing.

Best to all,