Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Video Camera

Hi,

I need a new video camera for both teaching webcam and live gig/YouTube duties.

My GroPro has died - it was about ten years old (Hero 4) and I didn"t like it much. Awkward to use etc. Files are split and have to be stitched. Painful in other words.

I don"t really know much about this type of tech, but if I get a DSLR then apparently it needs a 'clean" HDMI output.

So, any suggestions? What"s good? What should I avoid like the plague?

Regards

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A DSLR will work but there is a big BUT, in that it will not work directly.

Connect up via USB and software such as OSB will be required to interface the DSLR

Or.

Connecting via the DSLR"s output HDMI socket will need to be fed into a caputre device like a Magewell which in turn is connected via USB to your computer.

Do note that not all DSLR type cameras have audio input connectivity, with the inbuilt mike being pretty poor.

I have a Panasonic Lumix G series camera with a zoom lens and a connected Rode Video Mike Pro with windgag as my on location combo. This camera records video in many formats and sizes up to 4k

A cheaper option would be a Bridge camera like a Panasonic FZ 330 which has an audio input socket

Col

This reminds me that I need to try hooking up our Canon DSLR and see if it works well as a webcam. I have been using the one on my laptop and it looks less than flattering (I refuse to believe it's just me).

I"ve been using the 1080p version of this for years:

Zoom Q2n-4K

Great price, great sound. You may have to still stitch large files together, but I believe that"s a limitation of the memory card, not the camera.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

The DSLR and bridge cameras give great photos and high quality video. Ya they have little crappy mics. So running an H4 or other sort of mic is a big help. But I don"t know specifically which model DSLR can function as a live feed camera for conferencing. HDMI with an adapter as mentioned above may be an option.

You"ll want a camera stand if you go this route. Or you can stick a microphone shaped adapter in the bottom of the camera and stick it in a mic stand like you do with the Zoom audio recorders.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

So (to piggyback my questions): if I have a canon dslr (think it's a rebel t6, wife bought it for real estate pics)....and a zoom h2, I might be set? Or I might need some additional hardware/software for zoom stuff?

The H2 definitely functions on a Mac or PC as a live mic. Check the manual for how to do that.

The camera - if it has a live HDMI out then you may just need a conversion box - HDMI to USB or something like that. I know gamers use them to record their gameplay off of Xbox and the like.

Can someone recommend one what works well?

Someone made the effort to do a 'how to':

https://www.obs.live/articles/2019/6/7/using-a-dslr-as-a-webcam-a-guide-amp-tutorial

The most popular cameras on YouTube are the Canon M50 and Sony A6400. Cannon is a bit cheaper. Sony better at 4K. There is a movement on YouTube away from 4K and back to HD. 4K video is slow to process and even slower to upload.

Tony & Chelsea Northrup and Think Media are two good channels for learning about creating YouTube content. Both use the Cannon M50 extensively.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The most popular cameras on YouTube are the Canon M50 and Sony A6400. Cannon is a bit cheaper. Sony better at 4K. There is a movement on YouTube away from 4K and back to HD. 4K video is slow to process and even slower to upload.

Tony & Chelsea Northrup and Think Media are two good channels for learning about creating YouTube content. Both use the Cannon M50 extensively.

Hey, I believe OP also wants to use it for live conferencing. Does the M50 have an HDMI that streams live from the camera? To use it with a computer does it need a conversion box?

Learning something new every day. Some newer Cameras - like the Sony APS-C line can deliver imaging to Mac or PC over USB using their software Sony Imaging Edge Desktop and Remote software.

https://imagingedge.sony.net/en-us/ie-desktop.html

Supported devices:

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/app/imagingedge/en/devices/

Research suggests this works with a lot of micro HDMI out cameras

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/cam-link-4k

Yes I have that, works well.

Thanks for the replies, will report back on what I find.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I just watched a few reviews of the Sony ZV-1. Looks pretty good for my needs. I"ve been a little burnt by Sony gear in the past though...might have to forget that.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

I"ve been using the 1080p version of this for years:

Zoom Q2n-4K

Great price, great sound. You may have to still stitch large files together, but I believe that"s a limitation of the memory card, not the camera.

Jake

+1. I've been using the Zoom Q series for years, this latest model has much better build quality, HDMI out, and you can select different lens settings and audio and video resolution settings, also (if 4K is problematic). You also can use it as a web cam and card reader. I don't see how it would not work for the OP's purposes.

I checked out the Soom, but came across Too many negative reviews. Will check out the features again, but I"m leaning ZV-1 at the moment.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Have your requirements changed?

The ZV1 may be OK as a Webcam and for Vlogging (for which it is intended) but as a camera for recording a performance is another matter and to me is questionable in its suitability.

Do watch the reviews and note its very compact size.

I have a compact travel camera and it is a pain to use.

Maybe your solution is two cameras, a DSLR and a simple HD webcam

Col

I"ve been getting great results with my Sony RX100 with both video and photos. This thread has me wanting to give the elgato a try for live streaming off the micro hdmi. If I"m not happy with the audio I"ll use a Zoom H4 I have laying around. Will have to see how the USB controller handles 3 USB audio streams and the 1080p video.

Requirements haven"t changed.

I"m not sure why the ZV-1 wouldn"t be good for filming performance - can you please elaborate on that a little?

I want to upgrade the video quality for my Jazz Organ Bites channel, which was shot on GoPro Hero 4.

The reviews done by Christophe Langlois linked above (thanks!) are very balanced. The Cons he describes are mostly things I can live with.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

If you look at the detail of the camera on Sony"s website you can see the specs and features.

My concern relates to the physical size with small controls and menu driven adjustments.

The biggest concern is that the camera is designed for Vloggers hence for recording the spoken word and video at arms length.

There is an additional mount that can be used to mount propriety Sony accessory products such as a Mike and Video lights. Check on this as you may be stuck only using Sony accessories.

30 years of videoing makes me sceptical and critical of kit, especially that which is designed for a specific purpose

Col

My $0.02 (though in Canada we"ve done away with the penny so that would be rounded down to $0.00):

Any of the cameras should be adequate for the teaching.

For YouTube / performance, I think it"s important to know if you play acoustic piano or DP, and if you"re just recording yourself or other musicians. If you"re recording acoustic sets, for sure the built in microphones on these cameras are not optimized to pick up the full richness of the instruments and you"d want to get your own specialized external mic for that. If you play digital piano and if you"re solo or the other band members are mic"ed, I"d suggest picking up the OBS software. It"s free and really easy to use - select the audio source you have plugged into the computer (I use my mixer / interface), select whatever video source you end up choosing (webcam / HDMI capture card), hit record and you"re off to the races.

Since the pandemic my wife and I have been busy covering some songs and posting them for friends on Facebook and YouTube. The quality of the audio has increased tremendously since I started using my interface and OBS for the recordings. It"s night and day compared to internal microphones of the various recording devices I was using.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Thanks,

A few times I"ve recorded audio via nice mics, interface etc to Digital Performer to replace the camera audio. Works well, if time consuming. Will check out OBS thanks.

My $0.02 (though in Canada we"ve done away with the penny so that would be rounded down to $0.00):

Any of the cameras should be adequate for the teaching.

For YouTube / performance, I think it"s important to know if you play acoustic piano or DP, and if you"re just recording yourself or other musicians. If you"re recording acoustic sets, for sure the built in microphones on these cameras are not optimized to pick up the full richness of the instruments and you"d want to get your own specialized external mic for that. If you play digital piano and if you"re solo or the other band members are mic"ed, I"d suggest picking up the OBS software. It"s free and really easy to use - select the audio source you have plugged into the computer (I use my mixer / interface), select whatever video source you end up choosing (webcam / HDMI capture card), hit record and you"re off to the races.

Since the pandemic my wife and I have been busy covering some songs and posting them for friends on Facebook and YouTube. The quality of the audio has increased tremendously since I started using my interface and OBS for the recordings. It"s night and day compared to internal microphones of the various recording devices I was using.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

[video:youtube]

There"s several videos on using that model as a webcam. Good luck!

Thanks Elmer, his video reviews are so fantastic. It"s really helped my research.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Is there a reason why an iPad wouldn"t work?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

iPad, MacBook Pro, various PC and Android solutions with better spec"d cameras and mics.

There are stands and mounts that will let you angle and locate an iPad where you need it to capture the right view or angle.

However none of those solutions is going to have a camera or mic that competes with what is being tossed around in this thread. So it really depends on what quality the OP is after for both content creation and live streaming.

I checked out the Soom, but came across Too many negative reviews. Will check out the features again, but I"m leaning ZV-1 at the moment.

The only complaints I have seen that have any merit are the ones about the video being too grainy in low light- it's fine with adequate lighting. Disregard any complaints about the audio, as that's what it's optimized for. No additional mics needed- the whole point of the unit is to be a compact, all-in-one solution, if that's important.

The only complaints I have seen that have any merit are the ones about the video being too grainy in low light- it's fine with adequate lighting. Disregard any complaints about the audio, as that's what it's optimized for. No additional mics needed- the whole point of the unit is to be a compact, all-in-one solution, if that's important.

There are 15 one star reviews on Amazon for the Zoom Q2n-4K. Most of them complain about the poor quality video. It made me stop and reconsider. I like the price point but if the video is no better than what I can already get with my Mac, it's a waste of money.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.