Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Mojo

As I have the new Mojo Classic here with me I thought I might share some of my experiences after reading a lot and getting information from this forum.

It is my first Clonewheel besides a Nord Stage 2. I really enjoy the Mojo. In my ears it sounds great.

As some of you already mentioned, this is organ only. No additional sounds.

I like the layout, although I only played the real thing a few times, I have the impression that's how it should be layed out.

Knobs and everything feels sturdy.

I like the keybed; for me it feels just right.

Occasionally I'm connecting the Mojo to my iPad via MIDI. I use the lower manual to play sounds like Neo Soul Keyboards. This took me some time to figure out; maybe some of you are interested in the midi implementation as it is not that well documented I think.

Upper manual sends / receives Channel 1

Lower manual sends / r Channel 2

Pedal Channel 3

If you disable the internal sound on one manual by pressing the "manual" button for a few seconds, the disabled manuals will send as follows:

Upper manual sends on Channel 4

Lower manual sends on Channel 5

The only problem is: the attached sustain pedal cannot be routed to channel 4 or 5. When you enter the Mojo Editor you can choose the behavior of the sustain pedal. You can choose it to "hold" on all or a specific manual. When I choose it to hold lower manual, the Midi control from the sustain pedal is only send via Channel 2.

So, to get the sustain pedal to work with an external sound source, IMO there are two work arounds so far:

1) don't use the "manual off" function and rather just put all drawbars to zero, so that there is no internal sound. Set your receiving midi device to Channel 2 for to be played with the lower manual.

2) on the ipad use something like midiflow and filter out the Midi CC from Channel 2 and redirect it to channel 5 in the app. Set the receiving midi to channel 5.

Sorry for this lengthy explanation, but maybe its of worth for someone.

I play the mojo every day. Great fun!

The only "issues" I had so far is that one time the WiFi-Editor did not respond after several hours and that the drawbars are touching / scratching the underlying metal panel when drawn out completely. Restarting the instrument solved the WiFi-"problem".

Thanks for all the great input from this forum!

Florian

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post, ImproKeys. I have to assume Guido is paying attention to this thread and the sustain workaround can be addressed in a firmware update. There have been quite a few minor miracles with the Mojo61.

Here for the gear.

:-) Last time I went to Italy in august there were indeed thousands of unicorns. Great country!

If by chance there is a magic spell that could set "Pedal Hold to Lower / Upper / all manuals" to also transmit CC 64 in the external midi mode on the corresponding channels, I would appreciate it!

Well, since you're already here, haha....

Any chance of having the 61 with the lower manual be able to play the pianos on the lower, organ on the upper like the standard Mojo does?

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

The burn has been discontinued ....

I know, perhaps I should ask for a BURN 2.0, with the latest leslie sim from the Mojo Classic.

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

• 5 months later...

I just noticed this popped up on Thomann's.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/crumar_mojo_suitcase.htm?sid=1be55f454d577e052830037c2efb1a67&ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoidXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NywibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

15905545_800.jpg

15905565_800.jpg

15905575_800.jpg

I saw mention of it on Crumar's facebook page, but no sign of it on their website.

It's not a real case like the Seven: it has no real handles except for those weird holes on the sides (which leave an opening to the keyboards and controls), the back connections are exposed and of course it will not be waterproof. Also, that big non-foldable lid looks quite bulky and unpractical to store away...

All in all, I don't know what to make of it. For home or studio use, I think almost anybody would prefer the Classic wooden look. For gigging, one would need a bag or case anyway. Any thoughts?

39 lbs according to the specs but if you put a 'Le Cover' heavy gauge cover over it snuggly and gigged gently for weekend or light to moderate gigging and could place in a Van/SW or Car's back seat... it wouldn't be to bad.. but you'd have to be careful... but for heavy constant on the road gigging... I'd put it in a Anvil/Calzone case to sit upright w/wheels... the case would be heavy of course but 39 lbs for a dual manual ain't to shabby. I like it w/o wood for gigging .. you could place the lid in the heavy gauged Le Cover when you take it off to store on the gig also... just my fast 1st impression on carting it.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

yeah, more or less my same thoughts. Mostly a stylistic thing for those who prefer a "road" look, with a slight benefit in portability for small/casual gigs. Also, the hard cover may be useful at home/studio to better protect it when not in use for long periods (and to -ahem- put your beer on it :cheers:).

Anyway not a game-changing variant, and probably that's why it comes at the same price as the wooden one: just a cosmetic variation so customers can choose which they like best.

On a side note, any Mojo Classic users here? How do you feel about the Christmas-tree lightshow? Is it tolerable or would you prefer a version without all those lights?

39lbs for a dual manual instrument is pretty impressive. Do we have an idea what they used to build the enclosure? If wood, how thin could they go? It looks like the side panels may be MDF or particle board. Which is ok, but that"s not going to work very well for where the lid snaps screw in. So I"ll guessing those spots are ply wood. 32lbs, wow. My VR-700 is 35lbs, but they used a lot of metal and plastic.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

32lbs for a dual manual instrument is pretty impressive.

Where are you getting the 32 lb figure?

BTW, weight was one reason I picked up a Nord C1... 33 lbs, the lightest dual manual I know of. Not that I bought it specifically with the idea of gigging with it, but I figured, the less I could preclude that possibility, the better! One thing I haven't tried yet is using it to control the Gemini module. There's enough room on the control panel for it (and for real drawbars for it if you want that in addition to the Nord's LEDs).

My latest pseudo-dual manual experiement is part of the setup I pictured at post #3081166 of the Dig My Rig thread. The idea there is using the Vox Continental as a lower manual for a Nord Stage 3, covering the entire front panel of the Vox except for about 2" which gives me access to the patch select buttons for the additional sounds in the Vox. (I use a couple of rubber stoppers to prop up the Nord so that its weight is not resting on the knobs of the Vox.) I liked the idea of the Vox for this lower manual purpose because it's light, has a great action, plus has a good selection of strong additional (non-organ) sounds (and even a pitch bend lever). You could actually put together a much lighter version of this if you used 61s instead of 73s. For example a Vox 61 under a YC61 would total 31.5 lbs between them, and moves even more easily being in two light pieces instead of one heavier one. Of course, you need a stand that lets you arrange the keyboards as you'd want. You could similarly put the Vox 61 under a Mojo 61 if you liked Crumar's "optional lower manual" approach for the Mojo 61, but wanted something that would also give you a wider range of sounds, and pitch bend. It's also about 1.5 lbs lighter than Crumar's lower manual! Of course, also noticeably pricier, and again, you'd need to carefully consider your stand since the Vox doesn't by itself fully support the board above as Crumar's does.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I just noticed this popped up on Thomann's.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/crumar_mojo_suitcase.htm?sid=1be55f454d577e052830037c2efb1a67&ref=intl&shp=eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoidXMiLCJjdXJyZW5jeSI6NywibGFuZ3VhZ2UiOjJ9&reload=1

I saw mention of it on Crumar's facebook page, but no sign of it on their website.

It's not a real case like the Seven: it has no real handles except for those weird holes on the sides (which leave an opening to the keyboards and controls), the back connections are exposed and of course it will not be waterproof. Also, that big non-foldable lid looks quite bulky and unpractical to store away...

All in all, I don't know what to make of it. For home or studio use, I think almost anybody would prefer the Classic wooden look. For gigging, one would need a bag or case anyway. Any thoughts?

Love it! Best yet.

Why â I just like the form factor of model C/A Hammonds. For practical purposes, maybe 15 years ago when I was doing a good amount of blues bars, our amps, drums and keyboards were still onstage when the Saturday afternoon blues jams took place. I used to cover up my keyboards so others didn't mess with them (I think one should bring their own axe). Would have been pretty cool to have a hard-top convertible like this new Mojo.

And as much as I don't like the yellow lights coming from the tabs on the new B3 cutaway style, or the module, on this dark case they look very cool.

I like it in every way. Can't imagine it sitting on a skinny-legged stand though.

Here for the gear.

I tried to start a Mojo editing thread and things didn't go well. Welcome to online calling out culture and forum road rage of sorts.

There is an issue I might want to call to Guidos attention but don't want to get into it here. It's not good to comment publically on aspects than may not be positive.

So I have a question for him instead of going public.

Overall I like the Mojo ...since I already have the Legend Live 61 I wanted a module to experiment with different key beds.

Is there a good way to contact Guido? He shows up here sometimes. Hoping he accepts feedback. Overall Mojo engine very good but Key B very good too.

Not totally related to this new model, since I also noticed on the Mojo "Classic"..........what happened to the 11-pin Leslie connector? Any idea why it was dropped from the Mojo design?

Lou

I guess it dropped from design because most users refuse to schlep a Leslie or don´t even own one.

Instead use internal sim (or Vent).

I really think it´s o.k. getting the Leslie connectivity as an option,- especially for the price of the MOJO Classic and Mojo Suitcase.

Both models are the cheapest dual manual clones available (EUR 1.699,- incl. 16% VAT @Thomann).

And VB3-2 sounds good !

I´m now interested in reliability and firmware/ software stability.

I don´t use smartphone and tablet computer being able to run an app.

Can I edit in depth using a Lenovo Win10, Intel i7 quad laptop ?

A.C.

Not totally related to this new model, since I also noticed on the Mojo "Classic"..........what happened to the 11-pin Leslie connector? Any idea why it was dropped from the Mojo design? Lou

I would guess it's because 95% would use either the internal leslie or a leslie sim like a Vent. The installation of the 11 pin would drive up the cost for all users, 95% who wouldnt benefit from the 11 pin but would otherwise have to pay for it. So he removes it to keep the cost down for the 95% and for the 5% who would like it he offers this accessory:

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=40

Makes sense to me.... It probably doesn't make sense to the 5%....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I really like the looks of that suitcase model. The handle holes look like they would make it easier to get out of a flight case than the original Mojo,SK2,etc. I like the black and the C or A series looking body. Yes,it does look like an RMI with the lid on(worst ep I ever owned) but I imagine. that lid would give nice protection to knobs,keys and drawbars even inside a flight case.

Not totally related to this new model, since I also noticed on the Mojo "Classic"..........what happened to the 11-pin Leslie connector? Any idea why it was dropped from the Mojo design? Lou

I would guess it's because 95% would use either the internal leslie or a leslie sim like a Vent. The installation of the 11 pin would drive up the cost for all users, 95% who wouldnt benefit from the 11 pin but would otherwise have to pay for it. So he removes it to keep the cost down for the 95% and for the 5% who would like it he offers this accessory:

https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=40

Makes sense to me.... It probably doesn't make sense to the 5%....

Exactly

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

On a side note, any Mojo Classic users here? How do you feel about the Christmas-tree lightshow? Is it tolerable or would you prefer a version without all those lights?

I personally do like the lights; on stages not that brightly lit, you can see your settings at a glance. If you are referring to the colour-changing logo between the manuals: i always turn up the drive to my taste and then the colour fits perfectly well to the colour of the wood. :-)

Concerning reliability: so far, so good. Nowadays there are no shows to play, so mostly I'm using it in my basement. I had some issues, like the sound disappearing for seconds. On my only rehearsal outside the sound disappeared completely during one song so I had to reboot. After that Crumar Support recommended not using the FC 7 pedal due to possible static problems. Now I use the Crumar EXP 10, but had the issue once again. Last weekend I rewired the whole rehearsal room and I'm curious if the problem will reappear. In that case, the ticket to send it to repair is already printed...

9 times out of 10 I have no problems. Not only no problems, I really really love the sound and playability.

Cheers

I had some issues, like the sound disappearing for seconds. On my only rehearsal outside the sound disappeared completely during one song so I had to reboot. After that Crumar Support recommended not using the FC 7 pedal due to possible static problems. Now I use the Crumar EXP 10, but had the issue once again. Last weekend I rewired the whole rehearsal room and I'm curious if the problem will reappear. In that case, the ticket to send it to repair is already printed...

9 times out of 10 I have no problems.

Such issue would drive me nuts !

I don´t think it´s CC pedal issue,- I guess it´s a software/ firmware issue because I´ve already read about stability issues w/ the module.

That´s why I mentioned "stability" in my former post already.

Scroll down and read both the english user reports @Thomann .

It would be good for you if it is because it makes shipping the instrument obsolete.

OTOH, I wonder why they have isues w/ the Classic and module.

I don´t read about such issue with Mojo61 which was reported to work well w/ the Yammi FC7 pedal and offers more features like the extra instruments.

:)

A.C.

Al, thanks for the link!

Yes, it is really thrilling ;-) There are days with no issues at all. As long as I am not gigging it's not a big deal. But not to know where it is coming from, when it is coming, is really driving me nuts, too.

But I think it's not a problem with soft / firmware. The Module had a software update, the classic not, so it seems there was a problem in the interface software - the classic has no screen.

Crumar support gave me some clues:

"Yes... this is a known problem, not an issue but some kind of "warning".

This means that you have some kind of "grounding" problems in your rig: if there's some kind of electrical-noise entering the instrument from plugs (audio, usb, midi, pedals ecc ecc), mojo is able to recognize them and will shut down and restart the audio circuit for 1-2 seconds for protection... will will happen 10 times and then will not power it up anymore until you turn off and on the instrument."

and

"FC7 is well known to cause exactly this problem, I'm sorry.

It has static troubles with Mojo Classic. Additionally is is 50kohm and it is absolutely the maximum we accept, even if it should work without any problems, if the pot brush is not in perfect shape, it can cause problems."

In older posts regarding the older Crumar models there were some reports that they built in a very simple audio interface. Maybe this is part of the problem. I thought they might have changed that with the new DSP platform, but I'm not sure.

Last weekend I rewired everything, put the Mojo directly into the Mixer and put an antistatic mat under the stand an pedals. Yes, somewhat strange, because I never spent a thought about this with any other instrument, but...

Crumar suggested to send my Mojo back to repair but I fear the dealer will find nothing because the issue can't be reproduced at will.

So I think I will try to play as much as I can every day, keep record of fails and then eventually send it to repair - Thomann gave a 3 year warranty. On my next gig - when there will be one someday - I will take my trusty Nord Stage 2 as a backup or even might need for piano parts.