Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Personal shopping appointment at Easy Music-Center

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It ain"t perfect, but it"s better than nothing! Given the time limitation, I"d definitely do as much of my homework as I could before going in. In fact, if I knew I wanted something in particular, while I was making the appointment, I might ask them if they could have it ready to demo when I attired.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Unfortunately the times we live in today require some limit. I'm going to see if I can bring my EHX 720 Looper in and have someone help me with it. I bought it from them but had it delivered, so hope I can do that.

I emailed them about having what you wanted to demo ready when you came in and recieved an answer and yes they can have what you want to demo ready.

Jenny S.

It sounds like a great way to offer customer service during these times. I hope you have a fine and fun experience shopping.

I am a buzzard so I rarely go to music stores, our local offerings have dwindled down to Guitar Center and a couple of small places that mostly give lessons and sell inexpensive guitars with not much selection.

You have to drive quite a ways to find a well stocked local music store. It's more or less a day trip. Seattle has a few but it's a nightmare getting home if you don't leave by 1pm. The I-5 starts getting crowded and becomes a parking lot no later than 3:30 and then you hit Everett eventually and it always seems to be during a shift change at Boeing - 50,000 employees can fill up a 2 lane freeway pretty quickly.

Or you can take the train but then you might have to lug something around on the bus to get back to the train station. The train is nice though, fast and most of it runs along the ocean so the view is beautiful.

Since I am all about finding used gear at great prices, I am more likely on craigslist or at thrift stores and sometimes pawn shops.

If there is something specific that I want I'll probably find a nice used one from in individual selling it on Reverb or eBay.

I miss the local shops but they didn't survive. The owner of Phil's Guitars, which was an awesome place - fell ill and could no longer work. Another favorite shop decided they would do better by moving to a fancy new strip mall and the higher overhead wiped them out. The last one to go simply refused to offer decent customer service, their return policy was 14 days and they would give you a store credit - even if you tried to bring something back the next day they would never refund your money.

You can't survive doing that when Guitar Center is right down the road a bit and will give you a full refund at 30 days with no hassles. Sad, but it is done now.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It sounds like a good idea in order to keep the business open and show that Covid 19 precautions are a major consideration. Under normal conditions I like to be a walk-in. It sounds like they are letting walk-ins in the store to take your place if you're late? I don't get that idea, but whatever...I'm never late for an appointment. For my last amp purchase at GC, I had negotiated a price and received a 20% coupon from the store manager before I showed up. I went to the store, pulled a 335 Epi off the rack and checked out the amp. I was in and out in about 20 minutes with the amp. That's how I like to shop when I'm serious. I know exactly what I'm after and that's different from just dropping in as a walk-in to have a look around... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I like to browse aimlessly. I miss being able to do that this year.

Me too, I just look at all the used stuff and the stuff that's been in the store too long so it gets marked way down.

Bought a shopworn but "new" Gibson Melody Maker at Guitar Center in Fresno once for $200. I saw it and left it there for a week so some kid could get it instead of a Squier Strat. I went back a week later and it was still there so I figure nobody was smart enough to know a deal when they see it. Got almost $400 for it on ebay, had that "sticky" finish Gibson uses on some of their cheaper guitars, nasty. Played and sounded as good as anything though. Eventually that crap wears off.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I"m a browser, too. Never know what you"re going to find.

A few years ago, I was browsing in my local Guitar Center and noticed a guitar hanging in the highest, darkest recesses of their main used guitar section. I instantly recognized it was a Jon Kammerer solidbody in burled walnut. At that time, I already had 2 of that model- a semihollow in cherry and a solidbody in maple, so I didn"t NEED it. Nonetheless, I wanted to see it up close if for no other reason that to see the beauty of the wood Jon had used.

When I asked for it by name, I heard a couple gasps...from where, I didn"t know.

When it was put into my hands, I could see Jon had used some magnificent burl- the things was gorgeous- and it was in spectacular condition. I couldn"t see any wear at all. Price tag: $1000. From past experience, I knew that model ranged from $2200-4500, depending on details and customization. I suspect the walnu was one of the better pieces he had, so its original price was probably on the higher side.

After ogling and fondling it for a few minutes, I gave it back to the salesman, who immediately replaced it in its dim cubby. When he come back, I asked why they seemed to be hiding the guitar- put it in the light, and it would surely sell.

He then revealed that they didn"t WANT it to sell- all of the employees in the guitar section were competing to save up enough money to buy it themselves. When I asked for it by name, they all thought the game had ended...

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I like that store's new shopping policy surfergirl, the company gets to do some business and they are trying to keep everyone safe. Tell the store folks that we in the Sonoran desert approve of their caution.