Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Options for selling patch banks online?

I've done a few searches through the forums, but didn't find what I was looking for. I suppose the first question is: Are there some topics here that already cover some of our options for selling patch banks online? And the second question is: What are my options for selling patch banks online?

I've seen a few for sale on custom sites, and I've seen some people sell them on gumroad, for example. I don't use nor do I want to use Paypal, so that might limit my choices a bit. I can do Google Pay, perhaps. I'm not keen on setting up a custom domain name; I just don't have the time and patience to deal with that. I dunno, for those of you who sell patch banks or samples, what are your thoughts on getting your stuff out there in the marketplace? Hopefully, that's not too over-broad of a question.

Thanks!!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you want to sell things, you need to make it easy for people to buy them. Then you have to tell the people who would care they are there (marketing). I'm not sure that there is a way to just export a bank, post it and expect $$ to roll in. There a lot of sound designers that make their living this way. And they do all the things you are not wanting to do.

I do wish you well - I've bought sounds from several developers like "The Unfinished", "Black Octopus", and others. There is a market for this. But it may be not as casual as you are hoping.

I think if you want to sell things, you need to make it easy for people to buy them. Then you have to tell the people who would care they are there (marketing). I'm not sure that there is a way to just export a bank, post it and expect $$ to roll in. There a lot of sound designers that make their living this way. And they do all the things you are not wanting to do.

I do wish you well - I've bought sounds from several developers like "The Unfinished", "Black Octopus", and others. There is a market for this. But it may be not as casual as you are hoping.

I do intend to market my bank in various ways, including YouTube demos and wherever I can do so without running afoul of anyone's rules, etc. What are "all these things that I don't want to do" apart from not having a custom domain name and not having Paypal? I've left this enormously open to cover all possible options.

It seems you have your product already done. That"s the 'easy' part. You"ll also need to develop some demos that highlight the best of what you have and why people would want it to have it. A YouTube video is helpful for this and it can direct people to your landing page.

Next setup a landing page to validate that there is interest in your product.

https://medium.com/early-stage-startup-validation/how-to-setup-a-landing-page-for-validating-a-business-or-product-idea-d72c35fc012c

You can maybe do a freebie pack to acquire registrations and contact info for potential customers. How many registrations you get will give you an idea of how many packs you might sell.

Then in the meanwhile, setup a paypal account and a website with a paypal shopping cart integrated.

https://www.paypal.com/bm/webapps/mpp/carts

I"d also suggest packing your programs in password protected zips for delivery. Each customer gets a unique code. Beyond that it"s really an honor system that they don"t share your work with friends.

ââ

If you don"t want to use a website you"ll need to take advantage of social media like Facebook, SoundCloud to direct people to. And use email and some other digital payment method if you don"t like Paypal. There"s also Venmo. https://venmo.com/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Not having a domain name and not allowing PayPal are the main things that you don't want to do that will be the biggest hinderance in terms of people finding you and buying your product (regardless of what you're selling). Setting up a domain name and a simple website through godaddy/wix/squarespace is simple and doesn't take much time. You can also hire them to do it for you. If you're not willing to spend the time doing that, are you willing to spend the time answering questions from potential customers and providing support?

I've bought a lot of plugins and some patch banks from various vendors and used PayPal for a lot of them. I don't recall seeing any option other than PayPal or credit card. Venmo is popular with a lot of people, but iI don't recall every seeing it as an option for payment for software. I think GooglePay requires an app, and like Nathanael_I says, you want to make your product easy to find and easy to purchase.

You could sell on a site like synthmob.com, but they're going to take a cut, and my guess is that they're going to pay you via PayPal.

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the options given so far and I'll investigate those. I do intend to market my patches as best as I can given that this is not my full time job, and of course I would provide support to any buyers. Just looking for places with shopping carts where I can have my bank delivered to buyers with the minimum amount of fuss. Google Pay does not require an app, btw. I've used it; a lot of YouTubers use it when they livestream.

I know everyone uses Paypal, but I don't (nor do I use eBay to buy or sell), and I haven't done so for nearly 20 years, and it's never prevented me from buying anything ever. That's a discussion for another day. So I get that it will limit some of my options, but that's how it's going to have to be. I'm OK with shopping carts that utilize Paypal for the buyer, but pay the seller directly, like direct deposit into a bank acct, etc. If we can discuss options other than Paypal, that would be awesome. :)

Do you read vi-control.net forum? There was a recent post about a new service for selling your patch libraries etc., for the smaller vendors and individuals. KVR's new site as well, I think.

I have them bookmarked but it would be a chore to find them amongst 1600 active research tabs.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

In the context I feel it's a bit of a shame there are no secure sound loading options on modern synths, where you could reliably download and try sounds without having access to the sound parameters, and where you could, like on a computer, make sure the sound set is used only on the customer machine.

T

In the context I feel it's a bit of a shame there are no secure sound loading options on modern synths, where you could reliably download and try sounds without having access to the sound parameters, and where you could, like on a computer, make sure the sound set is used only on the customer machine.

T

I imagine this will change when they start putting wifi radios in keyboards.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I suppose auditioning sounds would be possible as an afterthought, through an OS upgrade as software addition with a special file format and some crypto knowledge, using a USB stick or something. Getting a sound set locked to a customer is harder to achieve with just files on cards and sticks.

T