Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer CS-80 is officially coming.

Sorry to the Behringer-haters, but this is probably the single Behringer synth product that is truly relevant to my personal interests, and I figured I"m probably not alone.

They"ve floated renderings and ideas in the past, but as of their Facebook announcement today, they"ve officially begun development.

1296.thumb.jpg.3e409cc13af4e30ca831bb5da17c3dd9.jpg

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just can"t wait. Always liked budget stuff, and Behringer fits that role perfectly!
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I much prefer the communication as Behringer proceeds.

The Big dogs wouldn't dare say anything like this.

It doesn't bother me that a co like Behringer might take a year to finish

a new product. Or whatever timeline.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

P-AT and the touch strip! That is enough for me to get excited.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

To have the proper UI experience, you need poly aftertouch, a ribbon controller with the right response curve, and the front row of short-throw "paddles" for fast and smooth parameter shifts. They have claimed the first two of those, and it will be interesting to see what they do about the third.

As it is, my interest in a CS-80 clone has pretty much dropped to zero since I got the Hydrasynth, but that's just me.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

The CS-80 was so pricey, there are so few people who have actually ever played one. Even now, I think I saw one the other day for $34k. Personally, I only know about it from watching every Vangelis video I could find. It looks like a lot of fun mainly because of that user interface and the after touch is part of that. Any Behringer variation on it has to capture that feeling if not a faithful copy.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I got to play the real thing twice at some length, so its just as well that I'm not in the market for a clone. My standards are too high. Only the Prophet T-8 and Digital Keyboards Synergy offered a similar touch-to-sound experience, but they still weren't CS-80s. For full realism, it'll also need a 200 pound wooden frame. I'll only believe it if Eddie Jobson says it makes the grade. :cool:

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

Boy, wouldn't it be great if it had a poly-touch ribbon across 76 keys of poly-AT and 2000 user presets managed by a key-word menu with a super quick favorites section , wicked TC Electronics 6-part effects section, and a deep 16-line mod matrix?
If it will brew my coffee while I play, I'll add it to my Sweetwater wishlist! :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

So what is the turnaround from start to finish for other Behringer synths? I'll bet even B can't do a 61 note poly AT, ribbon, paddles, sound engine, fx, etc., for less than $2,000.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

To have the proper UI experience, you need poly aftertouch, a ribbon controller with the right response curve, and the front row of short-throw "paddles" for fast and smooth parameter shifts. They have claimed the first two of those, and it will be interesting to see what they do about the third.

As it is, my interest in a CS-80 clone has pretty much dropped to zero since I got the Hydrasynth, but that's just me.

Mike,

You're so on point re: the overall UI. IMHO it's the performance/playability aspects of the CS80 that sets it apart (still even today) -- from the feel of the keybed and aftertouch response, the abilility to flick the rocker 'paddles' and move multiple sliders one-handed simultaneously on the fly, to the 'gold standard' ribbon controller implementation.

You can recreate the 'sound' of a CS a dozen or more ways today, but you have to create something that 'plays' like a CS80 keybaord & front panel. If the Hydrasynth had sliders & rockers for the Macros instead of rotary encoders and push switches it would be real close !

Manny

People assume timbre is a strict progression of input to harmonics, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timbrally-wimbrally... stuff

I concur â except for Korg.

I suppose Roland and Yamaha are just too big and involved in their digital platforms to bother with the comparatively minuscule market of analogue classics?

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

So what is the turnaround from start to finish for other Behringer synths? I'll bet even B can't do a 61 note poly AT, ribbon, paddles, sound engine, fx, etc., for less than $2,000.

I'm sure they can. Ashun Sound Machines sells the Hydrasynth for barely more than half that figure. I'd be certain that Behringer has some of the lowest manufacturing costs in the industry - less than ASM for sure. I don't think any of the new PolyAT keyboards are built like the CS-80. Newer materials, newer sensors, different designs. They are all building them for mass manufacture.

When Behringer goes "row row row that boat" I can't help feeling a little sad it isn't one of the original manufacturers doing a cheap remake with well chosen degree of circuit integrations and modern tech.

T

Yamaha has at least been considering it. It"s over a year old so they may have dropped the idea.

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/04/30/yamaha-considering-making-a-modern-cs-80-synthesizer/

J a z z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage8 | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

I'd be certain that Behringer has some of the lowest manufacturing costs in the industry - less than ASM for sure.

I'm not so sure Behringer's costs are lower. I believe ASM has some affiliation with Medeli, another low cost manufacturer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'd be certain that Behringer has some of the lowest manufacturing costs in the industry - less than ASM for sure.

I'm not so sure Behringer's costs are lower. I believe ASM has some affiliation with Medeli, another low cost manufacturer.

Sorry to hijack your post, Another Scott, but since I know you have a Numa C2x, can you please tell me if "Numa" shows up as an audio interface in a DAW, Kontakt, Pianotec, etc? On mine, it doesn't. Another poster said to utilize ASIO4ALL (which I hate). I have been emailing with Gianni at Studiologic, he said it should show up. Thanks, Jeff