Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mic Stand for keyboard player

I'm surprised that no one else experiences my problem = every type of boom/mic holder I've tried that attached to my keyboard stand (in order to try to save stage space) was in practicality totally unusable because of the key "hitting" noise that is transmitted through the stand to the boom then to the mic. Hearing the "thump, thump, thump" of hitting the keys and the key action coming through the mic is absolutely unacceptable IMHO.

This totally - a major reason i switched to a headset mic (which for playing as a one-man band i love). FWIW, i was using an On-Stage Stands KSA7575 adapter on a Gator X-Stand with a Sennheiser condenser mic (though i think i also tried an EV dynamic with no better results). So it apparently has to do with the stand one is using ? (e.g. i've never heard this complaint from Spider/Apex-style stand users).

- Jimbo

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have jury rigged an On Stage adapter and using another On Stage fitting attached a boom arm directly to the inside of my Baby Spider Pro stand. Solid, no noise and compact.

-dj

1308.thumb.jpg.d69af2f0983dfac7ce8bc86a1dc8d2a4.jpg

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

There"s noise. Turn the volume down and play your keys while the mic is on. I use an old Atlas with a heavy but flat metal base, with a boom from whichever side is convenient for the sound person.

Kawai KG-2C, Nord Stage 3 73, Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2x, Moog Voyager and Little Phatty Stage II, Slim Phatty, Roland Lucina AX-09, Hohner Piano Melodica, Spacestation V3, pair of QSC 8.2s.

There"s noise. Turn the volume down and play your keys while the mic is on. I use an old Atlas with a heavy but flat metal base, with a boom from whichever side is convenient for the sound person.

Interesting. Howevery, none of the FOH guys I have worked with have ever heard any noise from it, and neither have I.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

No, Aussiekeys, no part touched the keyboard. Also, I use an AKG condenser mic (AKG C5).

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Interesting. Howevery, none of the FOH guys I have worked with have ever heard any noise from it, and neither have I.

-dj

If I ever do gig again I'll check for this, I can't say I have actually done this (volume down, played with the mic on) often or at all. With my custom in-ears I would think though that I'd hear any such noises though, I have a stereo monitor mix and I can hear every nuance in both my keys and my vocal (switching from a Senn e835 to a e935 was noticeable live, for instance...