Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Song title available

Earlier today I was telling a friend about one of my hunting trips, and I thought I should share this with all of you. In October 2016 I was aoudad hunting in west Texas. I shot one from 300 yards away while it was up on the side of a small mountain. Nothing like a 400 yard climb up the side of a mountain to see if my 57 year old body with my two artificial hips and rebuilt knee were up to the challenge. While I was searching for my aoudad on the mountainside, some buzzards came by and were flying right over me. I knew I was close, but those buzzards were pretty close too. Close enough to cover me in their shadow as they flew directly over me. Trust me, there is nothing creepier than having a flock of buzzards flying really close over your head, circling around, looking at you. Anyways, my hunting guide found my aoudad, and we had such a lovely time dragging it down the mountain, which was actually an extinct volcano covered in large loose lava rocks. While telling this story, I thought of the words "In the shadow of a buzzard". That has the potential to be the title of a song, so if any of you songwriters are looking for something different, it's all yours. In case you're wondering about the 300 yard shot and the 400 yard climb, the aoudad ran about 100 yards higher up the mountain before it dropped.
I rock; therefore, I am.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I co-wrote a song years ago - The Widows of Don Alfredo.

Spaghetti Western theme without a movie.

In The Shadow of A Buzzard may be the sequel...

I'll let it bop around inside my tiny brain and something will come out or it won't. If it does, I'll record it and post it on MPN.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I was thinking something of a blues type of song. Sort of "Death is knockin' at my door, so I'm climbin' out the window", or "Buzzards are circling over my head, but they're just gonna have to wait". I don't sing with people around (something about that cruel and unusual punishment clause in the Bill of Rights) so I'm not much of a lyrics writer. I'm more of a "Here's an idea, go finish it" kind of guy.
I rock; therefore, I am.

Reminds me of Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door from the movie sound track he wrote as used in Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. A lawman gut shot out on the desert waiting to die. Hopefully he dies before the buzzard shadows start to appear...+1 on a spaghetti western theme... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

I can also see "Shadowbuzzard" as a band name, although I'm not sure what they'd sound like?

Switch it around, Buzzard Shadow has a cool, creepy old West kind of ring to it...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.