Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Winter NAMM 2021 - Proceed or Cancel?

I have some great memories from NAMM.

The red key lounge gang was always a lot of fun. But I found the opportunities to get a pass nearly impossible. Then someone on this forum accused me of begging..

I probably was and then it didn't seem like so much fun anymore.

But still lots of good memories which is probably how it is going to remain.

Note how fast the virus is spreading. 130 thousand deaths have been reported. This isn't going away overnight.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy the RedKey Lounge and the dinners quite a bit. It's an enormous part of the reason why I go. Not this year, unfortunately. Maybe we can have a virtual Zoom party in late January.

'A whole bunch of my friends who haven't looked at their gear in years are making music again....and really enjoying doing so.'

The problem is... when do they start making money again? This pandemic has destroyed the live entertainment business. Until there is a vaccine, we can forget about going back to work.

Last year was my last NAMM. I felt it then when I was fighting the crowds in Anaheim and seeing nothing earth shakingly new. No 'game changers'... nothing inspiring. The 'highlight' was seeing An endless line of musicians struggling to play an ARP 2600 and keep it from producing those nasty monophonic noise and squeals... just like we tried to do in 1977.

Maybe it"s time for a pandemic to force us to throw it all away and start again?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

'A whole bunch of my friends who haven't looked at their gear in years are making music again....and really enjoying doing so.'

The problem is... when do they start making money again?

They aren't doing it for the money, David. ;)

:nopity:

Regarding 2021 conferences, it is not looking good. I serves the mechanical trades. Each year, the mechanical trades industry features scores of conferences specific to plumbing, HVAC, sheet metal, welding, etc. and notices are already going out that next year's conferences will be virtual. I guess the lead time for conference centers is 9 months or thereabouts so this makes sense.

Steve Coscia

That's going to be a big OUCH for Las Vega that was their biggest convention of the year. Las Vegas was really rolling in the dough when Comdex was still going on, they were in November then CES in January. Even hookers from out of state came because there weren't enough local to fill the demand. Dam virus is killing all the fun.

2020 will be a washout with minimal sales

data suggests otherwise

:idea::yeahthat:

Boy, is that ever the case.

With all the folks spending time at home with so much time on their hands unable to spend cash on the things they normally do, along with other factors like many professionals are having to duplicate their work setups at home and all kinds of folks making sure their computers have good interfaces, mics, headphones etc., the musical instrument and pro audio industries are both seeing unprecedented (sustained) sales in many areas. You don't even wanna know how many ukeleles are being bought these days. :freak::thu:

Normally, these industries are hit way hard during any kind of economic crisis. The fact that people are turning to music to spend their time and money is a ray of sunshine in these crazy times, IMO. A whole bunch of my friends who haven't looked at their gear in years are making music again....and really enjoying doing so. :)

dB

At least in Europe, keyboard's sales figures are more or less similar to previous year, so right now the market has shifted even more towards " home " enthusiasts and people exploring new hobbies,

Right now the biggest problem seems to be the lack of stock, not sales, for the regional distributor's

Right now the biggest problem seems to be the lack of stock, not sales, for the regional distributor's

Yup. Supply chain issiues are probably the biggest challenge manyu manufacturers are facing.

Doing sales projections is not the easiest thing to do these days. :hider:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

That article is from over a month ago. They're still evaluating what to do and a final decision won't be made until October.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

That article is from over a month ago. They're still evaluating what to do and a final decision won't be made until October.

Yes it is. Their printed magazine just arrived a few days ago though. I don"t have an opinion about it. Just posting what I read.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

Winter NAMM 2021 has been cancelled!

Instead, they plan a week-long digital event called "Believe In Music Week" during the week of January 18.

Here's info about that:

https://www.namm.org/news/press-releases/namm-announces-believe-music-week-global-gathering

PianoManChuck

Authorized reseller: Casio, Dexibell, Kurzweil, Nord, iLoud, Viscount

Keyboard Reviews +

Winter NAMM 2021 has been cancelled!

Instead, they plan a week-long digital event called "Believe In Music Week" during the week of January 18.

Here's info about that:

https://www.namm.org/news/press-releases/namm-announces-believe-music-week-global-gathering

Piano Man Chuck, so no video on YouTube from you, this January, about the best digital piano at NAMM? Sigh.