Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Abandoned Distillery

Just before the pandemic took control of our lives, I went for a little photography excursion back at the beginning of March. This is the Overholt Distillery in Broad Ford, Pennsylvania, about an hour away from my house. It's a popular (relatively speaking) spot for photographers who shoot abandoned structures. I had been meaning to go for years and never really got around to it for no particular reason. Last year, an old warehouse on the property caught fire, but luckily most of the structures remained in tact.

For this visit, I brought my trusted Hasselblad 500C/M with 80 mm lens along with my Hasselblad SWC. I started shooting with the SWC first, loaded up with a roll of TMAX 400. After one pass through the structure, I went around with the 500C/M, this time loaded up with an expired roll of Ilford Delta 100.

Here's a few selected images from that day:

50003430507_996534d7c2_c.jpg

Overholt #1 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

50014275916_7e98071a83_c.jpg

Overholt #4 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

50020918686_ae942c21ef_c.jpg

Overholt #6 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

50035068542_5b5d04b421_c.jpg

Overholt #8 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

50037983973_3f544c56ef_c.jpg

Overholt #9 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

50059204193_53d7cb58d4_c.jpg

Overholt #13 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

50062916903_d182611bc3_c.jpg

Overholt #14 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

50084604746_611abfe01f_c.jpg

Overholt #18 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, B&W makes this largely about its form and texture.

I like a lot of them, but there's a round one that makes me scratch my head wondering what it is, which is a great aspect of some images: "What is that?" :)

Nice! B&W works well in that kind of environment, particularly because the interesting light and shadows and textures are everywhere! My favorite is #9 with the big round holes in the floor.... Giant holes in the floor always seem creepy to me!

Yeah that's one of my favorites too. That room was likely where the fermenting tanks were. I wish there were pictures of the interior of this place when it was active, but I haven't been able to find anything.

I agree, B&W makes this largely about its form and texture.

I like a lot of them, but there's a round one that makes me scratch my head wondering what it is, which is a great aspect of some images: "What is that?" :)

Thanks Ken! That is the bottom of one of the grain storage bins. Here is an alternate view to put it in some context :)

50010811882_7d483d9d86_c.jpg

Overholt #3 by Rich Pantaleo, on Flickr