Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Random Thoughts and One-Offs

• 3 weeks later...
I jammed my index finger on my right hand, playing with my daughter"s pit bull puppy. Just rambunctious, with a ton of energy. Still can"t make a fist. Hopefully no hairline fracture. Swollen below the knuckle. Ugh.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 2 weeks later...
I"ve never seen this before: the price of the Roland Integra has gone UP $250, to $1749.00 at the sweet place and the friendly place. Probably everywhere.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Billy Joel plays discarded piano on the street, then wonders why it"s being thrown out

https://www.musicradar.com/news/billy-joel-plays-discarded-piano-on-the-street-then-wonders-why-its-being-thrown-out

Given his rock star status, you might suspect that Billy Joel would have pretty high standards when it comes to the pianos he plays, but it turns out that he"s not all that choosy.

In this slightly bizarre fan-shot video - let"s just say that the subject isn"t framed particularly well - he can be seen stopping off to play a piano that"s been left out on the street, presumably to be thrown out.

After jamming out a bit of ragtime, Joel is heard to comment that the piano is 'Not bad. The action"s good. Just needs tuning. And the finish is beat.'

Then, slightly bemused, he says: 'It"s a perfectly good piano. Seems a shame to throw it out,' before remarking that the instrument would be better donated than thrown on the scrapheap.

The eventual fate of the jilted joanna is unclear, but having got the Piano Man"s seal of approval, we can only hope that it ended up in a good home rather than a skip.

[video:youtube]

Billy Joel plays discarded piano on the street, then wonders why it"s being thrown out

https://www.musicradar.com/news/billy-joel-plays-discarded-piano-on-the-street-then-wonders-why-its-being-thrown-out

Given his rock star status, you might suspect that Billy Joel would have pretty high standards when it comes to the pianos he plays, but it turns out that he"s not all that choosy.

In this slightly bizarre fan-shot video - let"s just say that the subject isn"t framed particularly well - he can be seen stopping off to play a piano that"s been left out on the street, presumably to be thrown out.

After jamming out a bit of ragtime, Joel is heard to comment that the piano is 'Not bad. The action"s good. Just needs tuning. And the finish is beat.'

Then, slightly bemused, he says: 'It"s a perfectly good piano. Seems a shame to throw it out,' before remarking that the instrument would be better donated than thrown on the scrapheap.

The eventual fate of the jilted joanna is unclear, but having got the Piano Man"s seal of approval, we can only hope that it ended up in a good home rather than a skip.

You know, the Covid era has given us a lot of outlandish events that make reality seem like fiction, but this is still wild. Cracked me up. Glad somebody caught this little candid moment.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I couldn't tell that was him. Don't me it was the accent, we all sound like that out dere.

And why do people think phone cameras rotate after they start recording? :facepalm:

• Like 1

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder how this Klipsch 12' subwoofer would do as a companion to the Spacestation for small rooms/low volume? It says 400 watts. And at 33lbs, it seems substantial. On sale at Costco for $179.99. I"ve always liked the sound of Klipsch. May be the ticket.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100526745.html

Model R-12SW

Edit to add: I"d have to put a grille over the front.

Saw this in person yesterday. It"s a substantial speaker, with some weight. It has a cloth grill, and would benefit from a handle on the top. But for small, low volume gigs it would be a nice companion to the Spacestation.

2u2lFAj.jpg

• 2 months later...

Damn, it's impressive that anyone would take this on. She's very good. The band could be a little tighter in spots.

[video:youtube]

I was cleaning out several boxes of old "junk" in my crawlspace yesterday and came across a full set of ARP Odyssey "Instant Odyssey patch overlays" in the original plastic sleeve. (My old MK1 white face Odyssey is long gone.)

I wonder if people collect these things?

• 2 weeks later...

Room Acoustics Software

REW is free room acoustics analysis software for measuring and analysing room and loudspeaker responses. The audio measurement and analysis features of REW help you optimise the acoustics of your listening room, studio or home theater and find the best locations for your speakers, subwoofers and listening position. It includes tools for generating audio test signals; measuring SPL and impedance; measuring frequency and impulse responses; measuring distortion; generating phase, group delay and spectral decay plots, waterfalls, spectrograms and energy-time curves; generating real time analyser (RTA) plots; calculating reverberation times; calculating Thiele-Small parameters; determining the frequencies and decay times of modal resonances; displaying equaliser responses and automatically adjusting the settings of parametric equalisers to counter the effects of room modes and adjust responses to match a target curve.

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

I wonder how this Klipsch 12' subwoofer would do as a companion to the Spacestation for small rooms/low volume? It says 400 watts. And at 33lbs, it seems substantial. On sale at Costco for $179.99. I"ve always liked the sound of Klipsch. May be the ticket.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100526745.html

Model R-12SW

Edit to add: I"d have to put a grille over the front.

Saw this in person yesterday. It"s a substantial speaker, with some weight. It has a cloth grill, and would benefit from a handle on the top. But for small, low volume gigs it would be a nice companion to the Spacestation.

2u2lFAj.jpg

This is currently on sale for $149.00

Damn, it's impressive that anyone would take this on. She's very good. The band could be a little tighter in spots.

Too many notes! :rawk::laugh:

Nah, that was impressive, even if my capacity for processing 64th notes has declined in my dotage. I always give the nod to prog players for virtuosity. I give her added points for pulling off some muscular piano and using a Roland VP-550 well for choir bits. WE well-know how complex that dance can be, even with just two instruments on a stand. When you take up four and more, you get a gold chevron, just for being that brave.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

That wonderful feeling when you pull out an old CD because it's not on Apple Music, rip it to your library, and it's as good as you remember. Now it's shared on all your devices and you can listen to it all the time again.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

True story: Canadian officials urge motorists not to let moose lick salt off their cars.

https://autos.yahoo.com/canadian-officials-urge-motorists-not-160400178.html;_ylt=Awr9Imxdl7pflBgAswxXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZAMEc2VjA3Nj

The road signs are fabulous!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

That wonderful feeling when you pull out an old CD because it's not on Apple Music, rip it to your library, and it's as good as you remember. Now it's shared on all your devices and you can listen to it all the time again.

CDs are CHEAP at thrift stores! I've found some classic gems, like Kind of Blue - Miles Davis and The Band by The Band.

I went "buzzard surfing" one day and one of the thrift stores was overstocked so CDs were 10 for a dollar.

I had to buy a Memorex CD/DVD player/burner when my 2008 Mac Pro died and I got a 2014 MacBook Pro with no CD player. Good external players are cheap too, now I have 2 of them.

So much music!!!!

Said to me by a 16 year old starting his first job in the late 1980s, his parents had died when he was a kid and he had been brought up by his grandparents: -

"Life's a bitch and then you die".

Seemed a sad thing for a 16 year old to say at the time.

Somebody said that to me once and I responded "Life's a bitch and then you live." Which is also true, up to a point.

Said to me by a 16 year old starting his first job in the late 1980s, his parents had died when he was a kid and he had been brought up by his grandparents: -

"Life's a bitch and then you die".

Seemed a sad thing for a 16 year old to say at the time.

Somebody said that to me once and I responded "Life's a bitch and then you live." Which is also true, up to a point.

Yes that's a better take on it.

I found it quite shocking, as a then 27 year old myself who had previously done a job that brought me into contact with all manner of different people from all walks of life, that a 16 year old had such a sad expectation of the future, but not knowing how he lost his parents, he may have had good reason to think like that I suppose.

YOLO ("you only live once") has been around for a while. I heard locally, from a young person dying from terminal illness, "you only die once".

Man, I love that. What perspective!

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• 11 months later...

Lego has come out with:

A Fender Stratocaster and "'65 Princeton® Reverb amplifier" - $99

Lego Strat/amp

Looks pretty cool

A Beatles portrait - $120

Lego Beatles portrait

Inspired by the iconic portraits included in the Beatles" famous White Album, this new LEGO® building experience invites you to create one of four detailed wall art portraits of your favorite Beatle,