Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VST 3.7 SDK - gets MIDI 2.0 and ARM support for Macs

VST 3 Project Generator

VST 3.7 introduces the VST 3 Project Generator that further facilitates the entry into the VST development world. The VST 3 Project Generator allows users to create a VST 3 plug-in project with just few clicks, which can then be used as the code skeleton in Xcode or Visual Studio.

VST 3 online developer resource

The VST SDK documentation has been enhanced and can now be accessed online. The detailed documentation provides information on how to develop plug-ins, also including tutorials with lots of examples for both beginners and advanced developers.

MIDI 2.0 and ARM support

The MIDI 2.0 standard announced by MMA (MIDI Manufacturers Association) is already widely supported by VST 3. Detailed documentation on how to employ the MIDI 2.0 enhancements with VST 3 is available at the Steinberg Developer Resource.

Also new is that the VST 3.7 SDK also supports the development of plug-ins compatible with the new ARM-based Apple Silicon chips.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also new is that the VST 3.7 SDK also supports the development of plug-ins compatible with the new ARM-based Apple Silicon chips.

It begins... I wonder how long it's going to take for a majority of plug-ins to be ported to Apple Silicon. I think for a non-music related Mac, unless you're doing something equally specialized, most use cases will be able to switch right away without noticing anything.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."

I spoke with a Mac iOS/Mac OS developer friend of mine the other day. It's comparatively "easy" for them with the tools. They've been doing AU3 for iOS and Mac for some time now. It's the hardware guys that will need to do all new drivers if I am understanding correctly.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It's the hardware guys that will need to do all new drivers if I am understanding correctly.

No, i don"t think so; at least for standard stuff, using DriverKit.

There may be assembler code for very specific cases (very high bandwidth , performance) but even in these case it will be a small part of the code, compatatively

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

Agreed that while drivers need to be recompiled and tested, it shouldn't be a ton of work. End users will have to wait for drivers to be released, however, and for older products that aren't actively supported this could be an issue. The biggest wrinkle I see is that for Thunderbolt products it might take longer than most other software because the hardware currently available to developers doesn't include a Thunderbolt port, though the final products will according to Apple.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

That MacMini they put out for testing Apple"s propriety CPU doesn"t have a thunderbolt port yet?

No. They were quite open about what the Developer Transition Kit would consist of (you can see the specs on this page if you scroll down to the DTK part of "what's included" and click the link provided.) They made public statements at the time that Thunderbolt wouldn't be included in the developer preview hardware, which makes sense since the SoC they used was originally designed for an iPad which doesn't have Thunderbolt, and also clarified that Apple Silicon-based commercial products would indeed have Thunderbolt. It'll be interesting to see how that works since I believe it'll mark the first appearance of the standard on anything other than Intel-based hardware.

It's not surprising that Apple would have secured the rights to do so. When Firewire was retired and Apple was looking for a successor they worked closely with Intel on the design of Thunderbolt, and clearly either retained specific rights for themselves or ensured that the standard was open enough that others could implement it with enough time and energy.

Sorry if I was unclear: Apple has unambiguously stated that they'll support Thunderbolt with Apple Silicon Macs. I assume that's true for the entire lineup of forthcoming commercial products. It's only problematic for vendors trying to build and test drivers before the hardware becomes available.

I can't imagine Macs won't have USB4 which is Thunderbolt and USB on the USB-C port. In fact, looking up the info for USB4, I found an article that said Intel gave the Thunderbolt 3 spec to the USB-Implementers Forum, making the spec royalty-free. So clearly, there's no reason for Apple to not continue to use it. However, this article about USB4 says Intel still owns the trademark for Thunderbolt so there is or was a question about "If OEMs want to advertise their devices as Thunderbolt 3 compatible, they'll still need to be certified by Intelâwhich involves a decidedly non-free hardware validation process. If Intel continues requiring this direct validation in order to use the Thunderbolt brand, we may see new terms arise to inform consumers of the presence, or absence, of compatibility with Thunderbolt 3 devices." Apple will probably do this, based upon their statement.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI