Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Organ model identification

I saw an old organ pushed to the side at the backstage dressing room of a rock pub yesterday. It looked very much like an L100 including the drawbars and the flip switches, but it also had some additional controls including something that looked like a big volume knob, to the right side of the lower manual.

If someone knows what it might have been I would like to know. It could have been not even a Hammond but some other manufacturer's lookalike, if there's such a thing. This is in Europe

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I'm Googling around it might have been a T-100.

Life is subtractive.

When you visit the pub next time why not take an image of it with your mobile phone?

You can then share the image

:yeahthat:

:pics:

Hey, I might never get a chance to use that particular emoji again! :D

But yes, a picture would be very worthwhile. I am now incredibly curiousâ¦

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

For those incredibly curious, I learned whom the organ belongs to, cause the guy runs sound at the place.

Some Googling revealed a video of him playing it.

[video:youtube]

as well as a pic

http://users.atw.hu/bajnokrockteam/brt2016020608.jpg

Life is subtractive.

The tabs give me Lowrey vibes, but pretty sure it"s a Hammond something or other. That song reminds me of Green Onions
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Rocker switches on the bottom cheekblock look like the 'percussion" tabs of a T-100.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Those T"s are the last mechanical tonewheel generator organs. They have a cult following of guys that like to mod those things. There used to be a guy at Organ Forums from New Zealand that did some crazy things to his T. The amp in them is solid state. But they are a dream platform if you like to mod the heck out of stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think Wurlitzer made a similar knockoff in the 60s-70s which I had -- it also had a built-in leslie but transistor sounds vs. tone-wheel.

Mods were plentiful. The internal leslie speed could be easily manipulated with a variable rheostat. Dual mikes resulted in a cool stereo whirl. The amp was some sort of hybrid tube/solid-state thing, and I succeeded in overdriving the input stage to produce a a variety of gritty and crunchy sounds. Some were even musical.

Best of all, I could mount four dolly wheels on the back, and get its svelte 400 pounds into and out of my parents station wagon. I think I paid $400 before brutalizing it.

I did a lot of gigs with the thing back in the day. It could sound pretty cool. No, I don't miss it :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

What is that keyboard on top? Is it a Kurzweil? (Seems to have built in beats/sequencer, sounds sort of like the bass sound used in Hungarian csárdás pop).
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.