Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seriously? The Next Major Tropical Storm Is Named Isaias?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a word with vowels and consonants, nothing new.

Are hurricanes marketed? Do they need to be? They will come and go as they please, no?

If one destroys an area, it will be known for that. If it fizzles it will not be known for long.

Hurricanes have their own "marketing strategy", it is beyond our grasp.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I can hardly wait to hear how the weather hot babes and buff dudes pronounce it :)

Seriously...who comes up with these names? It's like the Weather Channel naming Winter storms. It used to be "there's a Winter storm coming," not "Winter storm Alcibiades has its sights set on Montana."

Since the next hurricane name will start with J, I'm pushing for Jaxxon or Jasembishuthutranp.

I can hardly wait to hear how the weather hot babes and buff dudes pronounce it :)

Seriously...who comes up with these names? It's like the Weather Channel naming Winter storms. It used to be "there's a Winter storm coming," not "Winter storm Alcibiades has its sights set on Montana."

Since the next hurricane name will start with J, I'm pushing for Jaxxon or Jasembishuthutranp.

Perhaps we are returning to the days of Greek Gods and mythology, that could be fun!

I read a blurb in my local paper that it's an International committee naming these storms. They didn't say who or what that committee is. With a little searching I find tropical storm names are maintained and updated by an international committee of the World Meteorological Organization.

I agree, this name is a failure. I don't mind sharing names with people of other languages, but there are plenty that are easier for all to pronounce.

Right now it seems like we're going to get some wind and rain, but I'm 32' above sea level and my house has seen worse. I cranked up the generator (in case power fails), sprayed the paper wasps making their homes under the storm awnings (sorry girls), and put reusable ice packs in the freezer. If the storm doesn't get any worse, that's all the preparation I'll do.

A lot of people in South Florida live in mobile home parks and manufactured housing. These people should go to shelters if the storm gets worse. I hope it doesn't because that seems like it will be a breeding area for more COVID.

I've seen predictions like this and sometimes they veer more easterly after passing Hispaniola and head up "hurricane alley" to the east of our coast. The center is still disorganized so it's still quite unpredictable.

It's really early in the year for a letter "I" storm.

It's pronounced ees-ah-EE-ahs and is Spanish for Isaiah. Now I love my Latin American neighbors, but what about Isidro? (ee SEE drow) That one I can pronounce :D

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

I think naming storms with people's names is generally stupid. "2020-A9" or "A9" for short would have been fine, IMNSHO. (A for Atlantic, P for Pacific)

And The Weather Channel naming winter storms is even dumber. All the meteorological societies are against it but they soldier on anyway. :facepalm:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'm 32' above sea level

I didn't know you lived in the Florida Alps :)

It's pronounced ees-ah-EE-ahs and is Spanish for Isaiah. Now I love my Latin American neighbors, but what about Isidro? (ee SEE drow) That one I can pronounce :D

Well, now I know how to pronounce it, so you've done your public service for today!

I think naming storms with people's names is generally stupid. "2020-A9" or "A9" for short would have been fine, IMNSHO. (A for Atlantic, P for Pacific)

And The Weather Channel naming winter storms is even dumber. All the meteorological societies are against it but they soldier on anyway. :facepalm:

I'm all for this. ... I have not turned the Weather Channel on in 4 years. I use Weather Bug. Less commercials. Better information.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The crazy thing is they always say "The first named storm of the season" or "the third named storm of the season" or whatever. So call it Big Effing Storm 1, Big Effing Storm 2, etc.

......If you're going to have a brand, people should at least be able to pronounce it.

Perhaps the marketing folks from Volkswagen had input on this Tropical Storm name.

I always wondered about the Volkswagen "Tigaun".

This web site offers 3 different audio pronunciations of "Tiguan": https://www.howtopronounce.com/volkswagen-tiguan

The fact that someone thought this was needed can't be a good thing.

I always wondered about the Volkswagen "Tiguan".

This web site offers 3 different audio pronunciations of "Tiguan": https://www.howtopronounce.com/volkswagen-tiguan

The fact that someone thought this was needed can't be a good thing.

I think the people at Volkswagen went through a psychedelics phase...how else can you explain the car name Touareg, which is named after the nomadic Tuareg people of North Africa's Saharan desert?

I have not turned the Weather Channel on in 4 years. I use Weather Bug. Less commercials. Better information.
You're a brave man. In my schools, Weather Bug brought more malware to secretaries and teachers than any other single source.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I'm 32' above sea level

I didn't know you lived in the Florida Alps :)

<...snip...>

If you visit me, you need to watch out for nose bleeds, :)

Living in Florida, I would not buy a house anywhere other than the Eastern Sand Ridge. But I grew up here, so I know better than the people who come down from 'up north' and believe anything a real-estate-salsesman tells them.

I'm all ready for Isaias except for dropping the storm awnings (a 10 minute job). I'll probably lose power and perhaps Internet. Being in a sparsely populated part of town, we'll be the last to have power restored So I'll see y'all whenever I can get back on-line,

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<