Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snippets from our 4th of July Streaming Show

Good afternoon all.

This year we were scheduled to play the huge 4th of July show again for a huge Dallas areas city., on July 3rd.

Of course that all got changed due to current circumstances.

Instead, the city arranged for us to go to an event centers where they contracted a large room, and record our show. We did this back in June. It was odd make believing the crowd.

In these snippets, all sounds come from my MODX6, played from my new Roland A-88MK2 controller.

The piano sound for the ballads start with the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand, to which I add just a slight touch of chorus and delay.

The rockers (lovin touchin) use the Bosendorfer Imperial PopRock as a starting point.

Don't stop uses the Imperial grand and a layered on Vintage Electric Piano (CP70). Chorus and delay added to Imperial grand. Phaser added to CP70.

I was having some fun naming these brief vids :)

The video running on the video wall we created and is part of our normal show.

This was the first time we'd played together in six months in the same place.

[video:youtube]

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The singer has a great voice and chops!

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

So impressive! Hope to catch you guys at some point. Let me know if you're ever in Peoria!

M-Audio Hammer 88, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha ReFace CP, Korg D1

MacBook Air 13" M1 (2021) Logic Pro X 10.5, Mainstage, Roland Cloud (Ultimate), U-He DIVA, Arturia V-8

JammSammich, Peoria, Illinois

Nice ones, Dave! I like the playing with the camera people in the first one. :D

You never bring that video wall down here, though. :(

;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks all. It was much needed to finally be able to play together.

We call our gigs group therapy :)

Joe: we don"t own the video wall. That was from the production company who produced the show

Each song was done in one take.

David

That was fun, thanks for sharing. And it looks like you guys had a great time too which means everything.

The key to our longevity (this lineup since late 2006) is that we have fun, and are friends outside of music.

Sure, we have ups and downs, but in the end we hug it out like brothers.

Each of us wants the other to shine. It"s rare, and I"m beyond lucky to have assembled these guys all those years ago. It creates a cohesion on stage that the audience picks up on

David

That was really enjoyable, you guys sound great!

A couple of interesting connections to your band: My cousin Charlie was previously bass player with you guys, and imagine my surprise when I see Mike Heup as your current bass player. He used to teach computer classes in Albuquerque and I took a few with him. Great teacher and all around great guy, he's also the guy that got me looped in to the DAW world. I don't know whether to curse him or thank him but either way I'll be a lifelong addict.

Again, great job and thanks for posting!

Jon

Thanks Al,

The MacMini rig was, and is still, going thru some changes. While it was basically ready for this, There were several kinks to work out before I was happy with it.

David

That was really enjoyable, you guys sound great!

A couple of interesting connections to your band: My cousin Charlie was previously bass player with you guys, and imagine my surprise when I see Mike Heup as your current bass player. He used to teach computer classes in Albuquerque and I took a few with him. Great teacher and all around great guy, he's also the guy that got me looped in to the DAW world. I don't know whether to curse him or thank him but either way I'll be a lifelong addict.

Again, great job and thanks for posting!

Jon

Thanks Jon!

In fact, Charlie was at a show we played last week July 25. Cool dude!

That's funny about Mike. Yeah, we're all a bunch of geeks in the band.

David

Any tribute band like this should be built around the lead singer's voice, and your guy really has it, plus a great stage presence.

From what I could hear in those snippets, it seems like a fun gig for you as keys player. You have to play the signature parts, but aside from that it seems there's plenty of room for rock piano hammering and ballading.

Reminds me of the Petty tribute I played in for several years. To be honest, I never cared much for the band we were tributing. Aside from learning the material, I never intentionally listened to their music. But being featured on keys and able to approach songs as a blank canvas (aside from the required signature parts) made it a fun gig from a musical standpoint.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Sounds awesome and nice quality audio plus video! Well done!

I have not yet done a show like this, but have had a few nibbles from production companies asking my bands about it. The timing and collective ability to do one has been difficult to pin down though it's very intriguing.

Keys sound great! When will you be changing the color of the boards?

Sounds awesome and nice quality audio plus video! Well done!

I have not yet done a show like this, but have had a few nibbles from production companies asking my bands about it. The timing and collective ability to do one has been difficult to pin down though it's very intriguing.

Keys sound great! When will you be changing the color of the boards?

Thanks Eric. This was our first time doing something like this.

The production company was wonderful to work with. They used Logic Pro X for the audio. I don't know what software they were running on their separate video computer, but it was really cool.

I'm glad it was the City that paid for the production as they had some serious $$$$ in equipment, as well as the engineers who put it all together.

As far as changing the color of my boards: That phase of my life is done. :)

The only thing i have in the works is one for the mini "grand" piano shells in Red (the whale) ;)

David

I think the piano sounds on the MODX were really cool! Did you use any synth sounds in it (like in Seperate Ways and some of the 80"s John Cain songs). My MX49 has some of the same keys/piano sounds, and they really work well in this context.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I think the piano sounds on the MODX were really cool! Did you use any synth sounds in it (like in Seperate Ways and some of the 80"s John Cain songs). My MX49 has some of the same keys/piano sounds, and they really work well in this context.

Thank you.

Ask and ye shall receive. yes, when I use the MODX without my VST's, all sounds come from it. Sep Ways, Chain Reaction, Ask The Lonely, Never Walk Away, Girl Can't Help it, etc.. :)

here's a little bit of Sep Ways

David

Cool, but you guys should have run that quarantine recreation of the video on the wall instead. ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI