Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

81 Music Man head / 67 Bassman cab

Thought the Music Man amp fans might get a kick out of this. I've already sold it, so this is not an ad, but I thought you'd enjoy the sound I got out from it. A lot more viewers on this video than ever I expected.

The cab is a '67 Fender Bassman (frame only, cones are circa '82), which I have repurposed to play softly through my DAW, in between my studio monitors, like a faux surround, for kicks.

In music & mirth,

Richie Kaye

www.richiekaye.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My very first amplifier was a 60's 50 watt Fender Bassman head, and the cabinet I bought with that package was very similar to that one in the video. I think I paid $300 bucks for the whole package back in the late 60's. I gave it to my kiddo after I bought some Fender Combo amps, a Twin Reverb, a Pro Reverb and a Fender 30 which was a Rivera Era design. Whatever happened to that cab and head is long forgotten, I think it got ruined by getting soaked in one of those U haul trailers my kiddo rented to move from Jersey to Boise Idaho, and he sold it or gave it away when he was there.

Sounds good, hard to beat that combination.

I had a MusicMan 130 wat head and a 1-15" folded horn at one point, made a sweet sounding bass rig.

I've also had a couple of the RD50 amps, a 1-10" that I stuffed a 12" into, it was scary loud for it's size. I played a lot of gigs with that one.

Later on I had the RD50 1-12, Chet Atkins used one for many years through the end of his career/life.

As for the EV speakers, I had a couple different rigs with those, starting with a pair of vintage Fender Champ chassis with consecutive serial numbers running stereo into a 2-12" cab with a pair of EVs. That sounded awesome if you just dimed everything and hit it with a Les Paul. Eventually I got a Mesa Mik III head and ran a Vox 4-12" cab iwth the same pair of EVs and a pair of JBL D120s. That was WAY TOO LOUD and I have the hearing damage to prove it!!!!!!

Just mos\tly using a Roland Cube 40gx now and it is more than I really need. Sometimes I tote a Boss Katana 100 Combo set to 1/2 watt instead. One gets tired of lugging heavy gear, no matter how good it may sound.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@ Richie, Nice demo, liked the shirt and vintage strap from the 60's Woodstock era. Liked it even better when you kicked in the verb. Also liked the vibrato, but I would reduce the speed to about half. Also liked your choice of music and what appear to be jazzmaster single coils? Fun to watch and listen to with great audio and video! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

• 4 weeks later...
Glad you all enjoyed the vid. I really did buy it off a guy who was a punk rocker in the late 70s. He'd bought the cabinet in '67, but since they always turned it up to 11, he blew the original cones out at a gig. However, no one noticed it at the time!

In music & mirth,

Richie Kaye

www.richiekaye.com