Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LEGO piano

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cute Lego toy. But, seriously, how about these: 1) m-piano by Porsche Design; 2) Majkut's Whaletone; 3) Pegasus by Luigi Colani:

https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Farchive-images%2F051116-alpha-piano-hero.jpg?w=1440&auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.4.1&s=db52134b1a1f9e5027322430bcf5fd06

http://whaletone.com/products/royal-digital

schimmel-k208-pegasus-oval-art-grand-piano

1287.jpg.2cfdee596e89fc699031d073bef6df5e.jpg

1288.jpg.91e0647faa385e3541fbd6aa40765401.jpg

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

Here's the m-Piano link (I think there's a 2 picture limit...)

mPiano.jpg

Ludwig van Beethoven:  “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”

My Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano voices); Motion Sound KP-612SX & SL-512.

And here's my attempt at including the Pegasus:

3-black-grand-piano.jpeg

Whoa...

That's what pianos looked like back in the early 70s when we built plastic models -- lots of models -- with lots of MODEL GLUE & FUMES.

That "intake" (yes, I DID inhale) explains a lot, actually...........

Anyway... Neat pix! Thanks for sharing!

Old No7

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I was curious what the lego piano can do exactly, so I dug around a bit.

Looks like each key has its own action that moves a hammer and a damper. I'm sure it doesn't make any useful sound. There's a damper pedal that raises all the dampers. There's a video of the creator showing off an earlier version of the model, and you can see a motorized mechanism here:

Looks like it's basically a simple music-box-like mechanism with a rotating axle that has pegs that can move various keys as it rotates. That fits with the description on the Lego Ideas page: "Self-playing function enabled by adding PowerFunction, which allows keys to play at different tempos and rhythms.".

Not sure it's fair to call that a "playable lego piano". But it's pretty cool that it can do that much.

On sale here: https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/grand-piano-21323 Based on that page there seems to be some sort of phone app tie-in: "Watch and listen as the piano plays a song of your choice." I don't see how you could really do that with the self-playing mechanism in the youtube video, but I don't see what else they could do with just lego. Hm.

That's cool. I was hoping that would get approved. The world of LEGO has gotten pretty wild since I was a kid.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 2 months later...

I'm late to this party. Just learned about this Lego mini piano from the holiday Lego catalog. Pretty cool! As others noted, it isn't playable, but the details are impressive -- hammer action, adjustable height bench, etc. This video explains that the sheet music on the piano is an original song written by the Lego fan who originally created the prototype of the piano and submitted it to Lego. Lego was so impressed they put it into production. Cool!

[video:youtube]