Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which Songwriters inspire you?

I thought it'd be useful to get people's thoughts on songwriters that inspire them to write or to improve their songwriting chops.

For example, Mike Oldfield's 'pop song' work such as 'Moonlight Shadow' and 'Islands' is what inspires me to do a better job of my own work. Outside of the more standard definition of a song, artists like Public Service Broadcasting totally inspire me with how they merge spoken word material with great music.

Fire away!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm influenced by storytellers with a sense of humor - Lowell George, John Hiatt, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Jimmy Webb

Even though he could get a bit dogmatic at times, I thought his book Tunesmith was great.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I feel like lyrics are my weakness because, especially being an engineer, have a tendency to be too literal. I feel like I can be creative musically, but lyrically is tougher for me. For that reason, I appreciate lyrics that can mean different things to different people and do it in a creative ways.

I could offer tons of examples, but I'll start with one many people may not have considered or known much about, The Posies My Dear 23 album has lots of cool lyrical tidbits. You guys can google all the lyrics for yourself. Off the top of my head, stuff like "So we built upon this ground, something we thought was sound.......but in reality was silence". (Obviously about a failing relationship)

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• 1 month later...

[font:Verdana]This past year or so, I'm inspired most by songwriters working in languages I don't speak. Mainly Spanish, but other languages, too. I love listening to words not primarily as carriers of meaning, but as conveyors of sound and pure emotion. Chilean singer/songwriter Mon Laferte comes to mind first, but there are others like:

Natalia Lafourcade

Heilung

Javiera Mena

Cancamusa, both on her own and with her band Amanitas

Band-Maid

Marie Pierre-Arthur

Carla Morrison

Alex Andwanter

...and still grooving to Badi Assad, Angelique Kidjo and Rammstein, each of whom I've been a fan of for 2 decades now. Not just headbanging or dancing to them these days.[/font]

I wasn't sure if I should answer this or not because I'm probably in the minority on this- no one inspires me. There's a plethora of artists that I enjoy and respect but not one of them caused me to pick up music and more specifically compose. My drive and passion is inner fueled, not the result of exterior influence. I apologize if it seems egotistical but thems the facts :)

I write anything that pleases me, I have no set genre though I will never write in any genre I don't enjoy...in fact I never set out to write anything...I just improv on whatever strikes my fancy and if it strikes a chord I pursue it. I consider myself an "accidental composer" ;)

Bill

http://www.billheins.com/

Hail Vibrania!

• 2 weeks later...
I don"t think that"s egotistical at all Bill. We all obviously will have different interpretations of what 'inspired" means. For me it"s where an artist makes me want to jump in and create something, not necessarily even in the same genre. I"d argue my songs are inspired by a range of people but hopefully they don"t sound too much like any of them :thu:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For the longest while I ignored song lyrics. Everything else took priority - cool chord progression, cool groove, cool riff, cool keys parts, etc. Edmonton has had a great folk festival for decades, but I attended rarely, because I would get bored by the abundance of predictable chord changes and melodies. However, over time a few people like John Hiatt, Guy Clark, and Joni Mitchell (saw her live after she released Turbulent Indigo) gradually turned me on to the beauty of the songwriter thing.

Now I wish that it was I who had written "Boys of Summer". While I still indulge my instrumental nerdy side, I have come to really appreciate writers that can evoke (vs describe) emotions and form pictures in my head. Joni inspires, because she worked so hard to write lyrics (as well as deliver musical delights). I appreciate songwriters who can move me, many of whom I would have completely dismissed when I was younger- Jesse Winchester, Tom Waits ("Kentucky Avenue"!), sometimes Haitt, Jason Isbell and all of the ones that I will remember after I hit "post".

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
I'm influenced by storytellers with a sense of humor - Lowell George, John Hiatt, Joe Ely, Lyle Lovett.

Bob Dylan?

I was re-visiting Blond on Blond and took a listen to 4th Time Around. I realized the song is about a stick of gum, hilarious. So I added it to my "open mic" set.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Tuomas Holopainen - he's a master of telling a story in a powerful way through music. Plus he's an excellent orchestral writer and that comes through in Nightwish's symphonic metal music.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• 3 weeks later...