Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OTish: What other instruments do you play?

Nose humming is probably my best 'other' instrument. Hay fever and allergies sometimes make it a challenge, though.

My brain just works with keys...linear thinking? Never could grasp guitar.

Total failure on the drum kit.

Played a little harmonica in high school, just well enough for a Home On The Range solo in concert choir.

I have a mandolin. Only know a few chords and still can"t stretch my pinky up there for the main one.

I have a plethora of recorders, ocarinas, and several ethnic flutes and whistles from several different hemispheres; all of which I can make some noise with, but don"t really play any recognizable tunes.

I just love piano and organ. Synths are a blast.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me in order

Keyboard, synthesizer, melodica, organ, anything with keys (Haven"t played piano accordion or a harmonium though), drum machine programming on an old school 2004 Alesis SR-16

Pennywhistle, recorder, Suling, other end blown flutes, kazoo.

Various sound effects (made from scratch).

Ukulele

Percussion.

Harmonica

Guitar

Fife

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Wow. Wonderful replies and many interesting takes and choices. More More :)

Listening to how many of you started out, young with lessons on this or that, I will add my young experience. At about 10 I had one drum lesson and went home with a practice pad and sticks. Now I did fool around with them quite a bit, but it became apparent to my teacher I was not practicing, and very nicely he suggested I quit. I barely noticed and was fine with that.

An insufferable youngest child, then and now, with a good dose of ADD, my poor parents sent me off to camp for 10 weeks every summer to a little paradise in north Cali. Every sunday we did vespers and sang titanic, kumbaya, dona dona...they ring in my ears today.

One day I was riding in the van with two young counselers about 1972 and one of those songs came on, Joplin or somebody, and I was singing along. The counselers broke into hysterics. I can't remember the exact words but the jist was: kid, you are tone deaf! I was deeply insulted. The truth was nobody had ever taught me to match a piano note or any other note and hear that......you know what I mean.

I determined to get even. If it took my enitre life. By 1978 I was driving trucks in the Alaskan wilderness, and accidentally became exposed to real swing music and jazz through a public radio series called "the black cats jump". I went nuts over the tenor and alto saxes. I wanted one, but they were way too big. I hitched to alaska from Idaho, so I needed something smallish. Then I saw "Heaven can wait": (no song but check out the instrument:)

[video:youtube]

WTF......my first GAS that did not involve motorcyles or ski equipment! Look at that thing. I went to the Anchorage music store the next day. Soprano sax was bigger than I imagined, especially in a case, and $1500 1978 bucks......but the sales guy did not miss a beat: "What you want is a clarinet". He pulled out a $160 plastic clarinet and showed it to me along with the small case. "If you can play this, you can play any sax." Sold.

In the next few years I dragged that thing to 40 countries in my backpack and tortured locals in every one. I was totally self-taught via a few books and a small collection of sheet music. Too ADD to really memorize, I needed notes to play. I slowly over about 3 years progressed and was at the pre-bop improvising stage when I realised I could not play chords. LOL

My winter residence was now stable in one town, I found a piano for $300. Terrible little spinet but a wonder to me. Not having to blow for noise I could finally learn to match those notes and sing. :)

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Took classical piano lessons all through grade/high school, then studied jazz piano in college. Started playing bass in college, and primarily gigged as a bassist from about 1982-2010.

Played Zimbabwean (diatonic) marimba in an all-acoustic band from 86-90. Ultimately developed tendonitis in my left wrist from playing bass marimba. Also studied Mbira with a Zimbabwean master for a few years in that period. Still own a couple of nice Mbira.

Kept collecting keys and keeping minimal technique together the whole time, and in 2005 started playing keys in bands again.

I sometimes regret all those years of not really practicing keys seriously, but I do think that playing bass all that time influenced my musical approach in a mostly positive way. I learned a lot about time, pocket and groove, and how to play a foundational part in a band. My keyboard chops have never been better than they were my senior year in college, when I was practicing 6-8 hours a day, but I think I am a better keyboardist in a band than many guys I see with better chops.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Still doing this silliness after almost 50 years, and until recently always got me work. Finally graduated to a fretless.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Still doing this silliness after almost 50 years, and until recently always got me work. Finally graduated to a fretless.

Jake

Damn, that's cool! Especially that you can do it with a fretless! I used to do something like that with a 6-string bass set up with a super-low action for tapping, but never developed it to the level you have.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I like trips down memory lane.

Trombone:

- started in 6th grade, was first chair by 7th and won All-City

- still remember Mrs. Barney, band director, 6th and 7th grades

- she said the All-City board were in disbelief I was a trombonist; on my submission tape they thought I was a baritone player!

- she let me be student conductor for the semester for one song, Chester; she cried cuz it reminded her of her deceased brother; glorious euphonium lines

- was in jazz and marching bands from 7th to 12th grade, made All-State as a senior (barely, made 13th chair out of 14 total, lol)

- one year at University of Florida marching and jazz bands; dropped out a year later (pot, acid, partying, loss of purpose as EE major)

- played one year in US Air Force band (tricked by my dad); director was a snob (whole band was stuffy); cross-trained to Civil Engineering (construction)

Sousaphone

- Band director approached me in 8th grade, had no tuba players that year for marching band. Asked me to please switch to tuba for marching band.

- I protested that instead of marching up front with trombones, I'd have to be stuck way in the back of the line with the drum line.

- He conceded and let me march in the first line with the trombones! Brass trombones and white sousaphone up front for many parades.

- Walked home from school playing/practicing Sousaphone many times. Sousaphones are rain-resistant.

Bass guitar

- really my main axe

- been in almost 2 dozen bands of all types, and always as a bassist. A few bands I doubled on keys too.

- I know a couple hundred songs on bass, only a couple dozen on keys

- quit gigging last year, haven't touched bass since

Also halfway decent on nylon string acoustic guitar, electric rhythm guitar, and recorder. Know Stairway to Heaven, all recorder parts.

But.

Keys are really where it's at. Have a studio full of synths, and daily practice on Stage 2 piano, learning songs, is my passion now.

I was lucky enough growing up that I got a try at trumpet, trombone, sax, tuba, timpani, jazz drums and I think there was a clarinet at some point. All that was for naught; I was always drawn to anything with black and white keys. I loved the linearity, the polyphony, etc. Never got far on guitar as there always were plenty of good guitar players around.

Now, bass guitar, that looks interesting ...

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Started on piano, my parents got me into playing French Horn (I was actually pretty good at it, but somewhat uninspired) which also allowed me to play valved brass instruments in HS and college (trumpet, alto horn, etc.) where I was in the marching band.

Started dabbling in guitar in 1994, but it wasn't until the last year or two that I got decent at it. I have been playing guitar more than keyboards lately.

Would like to learn to play drums...!

I'm a brass player and play the trumpet for 32 years now. Still my #1 love. I play flügelhorn too and dabbled playing trombone and tuba when I was younger. I play in many ensembles, from symphonic orchestra's to big bands, latin, quartets, all brass, you name it. Still play the horn my parents got me 23 years ago. I played all big brands, but none click with me like that my old King Silver Flair does. Went on a lot of mouthpiece safaris too, but settled on a Reeves 42M some 25 years ago. Never looked back, great combo. Flugelhorn is a King Legend which I bought from a Scandinavian jazzer once. Great horn, nice rich sound. Played with a Curry mouthpiece.

All has to do with my mom and pops, who both played (mom on drums, pops on tuba). Just in recent years I started to play keys.

Trumpet player by trade, but fell in love with keys too.

Mom put me on a piano bench at five or six. She tried teaching me herself for a while until she got frustrated because I couldn't get triplets. (Triplets? What?) Then to a piano teacher. At eleven I started saxophone in public school ('63). That was pretty much the end of piano lessons. I picked up a guitar in '67/68 (Hendrix! Doors!). Played e-bass and string bass in high school. Until about ten years ago, it has been saxophones. The piano was used to arrange but never to play in public much. In the mid-90's I rebuilt and started playing a Hammond. I still have three saxophones, five e-basses, two guitars, one chopped A-100 and a couple of Nords. The flute and clarinet were donated to a local charity that fixes up instruments and gives them to public band students. Retired by covid. I want an e-piano with a decent action for the house.

I'm also a singer, and my 2nd instrument is bass. I play 4-string, 5-string and fretless, and a little upright (but don't own one). I can sing and play bass at the same time.

I also dabble a little on guitar, drums, percussion, saxophone (I own an alto and used to play tenor in high school), melodica and didgeridoo.

I cannot play the trumpet, violin or flute.

... Went on a lot of mouthpiece safaris too, but settled on a Reeves 42M some 25 years ago. Never looked back, great combo. ...
I empathize. As a saxphone player, I've done a few safaris myself. I (almost) stopped after I went to a 0.125 RPC and sold the Guardala Brecker model.

In addition to keys, I play guitar, mandolin and bass. I was a drummer in high school band. I also have an Akai EWI. I don't consider myself a sax player, but in a pinch I can fake it.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I'm a brass player and play the trumpet for 32 years now. Still my #1 love. I play flügelhorn too and dabbled playing trombone and tuba when I was younger. I play in many ensembles, from symphonic orchestra's to big bands, latin, quartets, all brass, you name it. Still play the horn my parents got me 23 years ago. I played all big brands, but none click with me like that my old King Silver Flair does. Went on a lot of mouthpiece safaris too, but settled on a Reeves 42M some 25 years ago. Never looked back, great combo. Flugelhorn is a King Legend which I bought from a Scandinavian jazzer once. Great horn, nice rich sound. Played with a Curry mouthpiece.

All has to do with my mom and pops, who both played (mom on drums, pops on tuba). Just in recent years I started to play keys.

I've always like the sound of a flugelhorn... First thing that comes to my mind is Chuck Mangione's song Feels So Good.

Flugelhorn is to trumpet as French horn is to trombone. Not quite, but warm anyway. Keep on keeping on!

I envy those musicians who are also solid drummers as one of their main instruments.

I've noticed that there's a certain quality to multi-instrumentalists I've jammed with who are strong on drums.

There's a certain old school philosophy that thinks we should send our high school graduates to serve in the military for a couple years. Learn some perspective, teamwork, discipline. And some basic skills to put food on the table.

If I had my 'druthers, I think every musician should also serve on the drumkit for a couple years. Gives one a certain perspective, sense of teamwork, discipline, basic skills needed for every song, etc.

I wish I was better on drums. Such a fun instrument.

I played drums at band camp as a kid but they only let me play one drum at a time. ð

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I took some lessons in tabla (Hindustani music), and later attended a workshop or two on playing the dumbek (Middle Eastern hand drum). Never gained any skill on either instrument but I got new respect for how hard the work can be for musos who specialize on percussion instruments.

I've always like the sound of a flugelhorn... First thing that comes to my mind is Chuck Mangione's song Feels So Good.

Flugelhorn is to trumpet as French horn is to trombone. Not quite, but warm anyway. Keep on keeping on!

Chuck is one of the masters. I played his Children of Sanchez for so many ensembles that I'll probably always have the muscle memory to play it from the top of my head. Ask me in 20 years ;)

I agree about the flugelhorns sound. It can be velvety smooth, like a good whiskey, and for me that's how it should sound. But many players are of the school that use the same shallow depth mouthpiece on their flugelhorn as they do on their trumpet, and that's when the flugelhorn loses it's velvet and turns into a shrill trumpet wannabe. A lot of (pro) trumpeters that double do that and that's just not my cup of tea. I use a very deep D-cup (no pun!) for my flugelhorn and can transition without a problem. I just need to get my head into relax mode so that my lips and lungs follow suit. If I don't, the flugelhorn fights back and I get a muffled sound. That tapered bore doesn't like the airpressure my straight medium bore does!

End of trumpet/flugelhorn rant :P

Jake

Thas is just ... insane.

You"ve met my wife, I see.......

:facepalm:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Since flugelhorn was mentioned, this is my favorite example. Roy"s tone was pure butter.

This is my Kanstul 1525 copper bell flugel in a special brushed finish. Sounds even more beautiful than it looks. I also have a Kanstul Bb trumpet in the same finish.

1289.thumb.jpg.05e1653a2981c2b2181d62562736c8f4.jpg

I think we have to distinguish between 'playing another instrument' and 'playing another instrument well'...

I can play some guitar chords, a basic bassline, and a basic backbeat on drums, but I don"t think I"d ever say that I actually play any of those instruments. (Some days I"m not even sure I qualify as playing keyboards either...)

A few weeks ago I challenged myself to record a multi instrumental cover just to see if I could. It"s one thing to be able to muddle around on an instrument but it"s another thing to play it solidly enough to gel with other parts.

Here"s a minute for your viewing and listening (dis)pleasure.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Chuck is one of the masters. I played his Children of Sanchez for so many ensembles that I'll probably always have the muscle memory to play it from the top of my head. Ask me in 20 years ;)

I agree about the flugelhorns sound. It can be velvety smooth, like a good whiskey, and for me that's how it should sound. But many players are of the school that use the same shallow depth mouthpiece on their flugelhorn as they do on their trumpet, and that's when the flugelhorn loses it's velvet and turns into a shrill trumpet wannabe. A lot of (pro) trumpeters that double do that and that's just not my cup of tea. I use a very deep D-cup (no pun!) for my flugelhorn and can transition without a problem. I just need to get my head into relax mode so that my lips and lungs follow suit. If I don't, the flugelhorn fights back and I get a muffled sound. That tapered bore doesn't like the airpressure my straight medium bore does!

End of trumpet/flugelhorn rant :P

That confirms a lot of what I'm relearning as a brass player. I guess I tend to like the warmer sounds of taper (conical) bore over straight (cylindrical) bore. I never took lesson growing up, and had no inkling of the differences that mouthpieces and various models could make. I just knew that I really liked the sound of the euphonium and the French horn and the flugelhorn (all conical). And now decades later I finally know why.

That confirms a lot of what I'm relearning as a brass player. I guess I tend to like the warmer sounds of taper (conical) bore over straight (cylindrical) bore. I never took lesson growing up, and had no inkling of the differences that mouthpieces and various models could make. I just knew that I really liked the sound of the euphonium and the French horn and the flugelhorn (all conical). And now decades later I finally know why.

Mouthpiece really does make a huge difference, not only in sound but also playability of the instrument to you as the player. Always, ALWAYS, try out a mouthpiece before you buy. Don't go on reviews, every mouth is different!

These are mine. Pic was taken backstage at a gig at a theater with one of the big bands a few years back. Note the bridge on the mouthpiece on the flugelhorn. It connects the mouthpiece and leadpipe and have been using it for years. It gives a rounder core tone and helps me slot in higher register a lot. Never thought it would work until my teacher lend me one a few years back.

1290.thumb.jpg.1f76d92f8f9c778de01f52811d40052e.jpg